FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM origination, FCP render time worries

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
pax franchot
XDCAM origination, FCP render time worries
on Nov 18, 2009 at 4:50:14 am

Questions for the brains present, I have a show posting soon, 12 episodes all shot XDCAM. I am a traditional A frames only guy, anything mpeg 2 and long GOP makes me nervous.

I have been test cutting some XDCAM footage and the AAC audio render is long and I am on a fast machine running 5 stripe raided drives. Am I correct in assuming that all the audio will be coming in like that? I cant seem to find the audio spec for the codec anywhere on line.

Also, the render time on color correction or export is pretty heavy. In short form none of this would bother me but I am looking at a couple months of cutting here, renders add up.

Whats the score FCP guys, are we media managing to Pro Res or DVCpro HD? Or am I strait up mis informed about the spec?

While I'm at it, any words of wisdom on what to watch out for would be amazing!

sorry for the long rambling post.
THANKS!!!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCAM origination, FCP render time worries
on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:09:03 pm

[pax franchot] "I have been test cutting some XDCAM footage and the AAC audio render is long and I am on a fast machine running 5 stripe raided drives."

Audio is PCM so something's wrong with your setup.[pax franchot] "Also, the render time on color correction or export is pretty heavy. In short form none of this would bother me but I am looking at a couple months of cutting here, renders add up"

It's impossible to evaluate a general statement. You don't include number of cores or sequence or render settings.

[pax franchot] "Whats the score FCP guys, are we media managing to Pro Res or DVCpro HD? Or am I strait up mis informed about the spec? "

Seems you're misinformed. I edit native XDCAM and set renders to ProRes. There's no GOP conform at all during editing (rendering dissolves, composites, etc). Final output seems to be twice as long as I Frame codec but that's only on . . . . final output. Editing is as fast as DV if you edit native and render ProRes. Just change Render settings in preferences then use Easy Setup or let FCP set it for you when you drop the clip on the time line.

BTW all this is faster than trying to change all the files to ProRes. There are reasons to do that depending on workflow but especially if you have a huge amount of material I'd say this is the wrong way to go. FCP handles EX as fast as DV while editing and renders only set to ProRes.

Return to posts index

pax franchot
on Nov 19, 2009 at 1:03:25 am

Thanks Craig, good to hear. Looks like this will work out!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 19, 2009 at 6:29:46 am

Change this one setting and your render times will be fast. Leave the sequence code as EX and change render codec in preferences. As you can see it's specifically for HDV and XDCAM (GOP) codecs. This avoids the GOP conform (long render) while editing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]