FORUMS: list search recent posts

Baffling rollbar

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chandler Kauffman
Baffling rollbar
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:02:24 am

Having a weird issue with my EX1. A regular client of mine is in Germany so I shoot 1080 25P for them. I've never had any issues until yesterday when I started getting a persistent rollbar through the entire frame. The really weird thing is that the lighting was my Kino Flo Diva 400's which shouldn't have any flicker at all, and even more confusing, regular household tungsten bulbs.
Those shouldn't flicker until you get up into the high hundreds fps.
I tried Clear Scan, changing shutter speeds etc and finally gave up and switched over to 24P for the sake of getting the job done, which looked fine.
There were no TV's in the room or anything like that, in fact I just tried it again at home and am getting the rollbar under my 100w lamp.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

Klaas van Urk
Re: Baffling rollbar
on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:41:13 am

We have to shoot sometimes NTSC for an American company. Living in Europe we have to shoot 30 fps under 50 Hertz lighting. The use of high frequency fluorescent lights didn't help much. We found that using the shutter at 1/100 gave the best results. Maybe this trick also works the other way around. Try shutter speeds at multiples of 60 Hertz like 1/120 and 1/180. And try multiples of 30, like 1/90. Also try to 'search' with ECS 'around' these frequencies. Sometimes you are just 0,1 Hertz/shutterspeed 'off'.

Return to posts index

Thomas Kist
on Nov 18, 2009 at 5:10:18 pm

Shooting 1080 25p with 1/50 shutter under 60Hz fluorescent will give you problems.
Switching to 1/60 mostly solves them, sometimes a little trimming is
neccesary.

Thomas Kist
Freelance D.o.P
Amsterdam,The Netherlands
PDW-700,EX-3&Letus,FCP 6
http://www.thomaskist.com

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Nov 18, 2009 at 10:49:38 pm

Yeah as I mentioned above, I tried the usual 1/60th which has always worked and then tried tweaking through Extended Clear Scan but still couldn't get rid of it despite scrolling from 1/33 all the way up to 1/120.
Any easy ways to convert the 24P footage to 25P? Just drop it in a 25P timeline in FCP?

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]