FORUMS: list search recent posts

bpav "cannot retrieve image" serious issue here

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
caleb crosby
bpav "cannot retrieve image" serious issue here
on Nov 16, 2009 at 6:33:25 pm

I have a single bpav which is backed up but both versions refuse to playback or show thumbnails for 4 shots in the middle of the card. All other clips on same bpav are fine and playback.

These were loaded thru clip browser correctly and when we checked footage we don't recall anything missing. Neither xdcam transfer nor browser will access these missing shots but all the surrounding shots are fine. any one have a concept here?

My next step is to copy the bpav back to sxs (shot on sony 8G sxs)
and try a reformat. yes?

anyone face this one before?

Exception opening XDCAM EX file (Condition Failure- cannot open /Volumes/CANYON/**IGEM/IGEM # 22/BPAV/CLPR/20z_3797_01/20z_3797_01.MP4)

thanks much,

caleb crosby
Mac FCP 6.2
xd cam xfer 2.9.0
clip browser 2.00.00

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
Re: bpav "cannot retrieve image" serious issue here
on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:49:04 pm

Yikes! Don't reformat it. There was a recent post that had the same problem with an interesting solution, but I don't remember where that is.

Could it be that the clip is spanning onto another card? If so, then include both cards int he Transfer. But it sounds like you're not even at that stage yet, and the content is all on one card.

I'm not much of a help here, but I wanted to get to you before you start reformatting.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

caleb crosby
on Nov 16, 2009 at 8:04:38 pm

Thanks Greg,

My hope is that a reformat would recover not erase.
I have to reformat partially shot cards everytime I cycle
the cam on. It doesn't erase on format.

I know a producer who was
complaining to me a few moths ago, thinking I had not triggered for several successive shots. I assured her I had and that they existed. She found them a couple days later - and let me know they recovered by putting the card back into an EX1, formatting and the missing clips appeared. This is with a card that had not been erased. That is kinda what I'm hoping for tonight when I get back to camera. but MY original card IS erased so I have to copy the bpav back onto an SxS to try this.

Thx, caleb

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Nov 16, 2009 at 11:08:30 pm

I think you are confusing "updating" with "reformating". Reformating does indeed erase ALL info on the card (even the name if you have renamed it) and makes it clean like new. You "update" a card after you copy clips back to the card from the computer such as from Final Cut Pro. This lets the camera see the newly transfered clip(s).

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:25:59 am

Yes, I still say don't reformat. Drag your BPAV folder as is onto another drive before you start messing with the card. Do not take or manipulate anything in the BPAV folder. You can go look in the CLPR folder and see what mpg4 files are in there and double click on them to see if what you are missing is there. Each take should be in its own folder.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

caleb crosby
on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:05:36 am

Guys,

thanks on the reply and thoughts. there is no worry about data loss.
I have a backed up bpav file. both copies have a corruptkon of the same 4 shots, the rest are fine. My idea is to copy one of these files to SxS and reinsert into EX1 and perform a re-format/restore. If it erased it totally it's no loss as I still have two of them on my drive.

Term clarification. Sorry if I used the wrong one! Every time I put a new card in the Ex1 it flashes a warning sign that says "card needs to be re-formatted" or "restored" I can't recall which, it's all become muscle memory! This is the kind of reformat, or restore I am asking about. I want to know if I can copy a bpav back to SxS and have the camera fix/restore/ reformat the missing clips.

I hope I've made this clearer than mud...

Caleb Crosby

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]