FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM Audio in PPro CS4

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mathew Joki
XDCAM Audio in PPro CS4
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:10:12 am

I'm having a bit of an issue working with audio in Premiere Pro CS4, and EXCAM-EX footage shot on a Sony XDCAM EX1. I've looked around everywhere and for some reason can't find out why no one has had the same problem as I am having.

When I import XDCAM-EX footage into a time line it is import the CH1 and CH2 audio as if they are one Stereo track, with CH1 on the left track and CH2 on the right. Now my question is how do import the footage so that the Audio is in TWO stereo channels? Or is it possible with the camera?

I'm also using ClipBrowser V2.6 to copy the footage from the cards onto my hard drive. What settings do I need to use in ClipBrowser and in PPro to make this work properly? I've tried working with the footage as Native MP4s (ie. inside the BPAV folder) and as exported MXF files, but still have the same problem.

Anyone know what I might be doing wrong or what the solution may be?
Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
Re: XDCAM Audio in PPro CS4
on Nov 17, 2009 at 2:46:48 am

It is not a 'problem' per se, that's how PPro will import it. Ch 1 and Ch2 are Left and Right of ONE stereo track. If you want them to be on separate tracks, you have to do this: paste a copy of the stereo track onto track 2, Then apply stereo filter FILL LEFT to track 1 and FILL RIGHT to track 2 - then you can treat them separately.

Return to posts index

Mathew Joki
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:33:27 am

So is there a way in-camera to make the Ch1 input record in stereo across both channel 1+2?

For such a great camera it seems odd that it falls short on not being able to record 2 channels of stereo audio....

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 17, 2009 at 5:48:14 pm

Yes, you can set channel 1 to record to both 1 + 2. It's in the manual.

Sending one channel to two is not stereo. Stereo is generally two signals with different phase (paths to mics). Dual channel mono is not Stereo.

Return to posts index

Mathew Joki
on Nov 18, 2009 at 4:08:45 am

... so the camera does not record stereo audio???

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 18, 2009 at 6:47:24 am

It certainly does. It has a built in Stereo mic which sends different signals du to the PHASE RELATIONSHIP to channel 1 and 2. That's the nature of STEREO mics. Two channels can be EITHER Stereo or DUAL CHANNEL MONO. This is the case with any two independent channels on any professional camera.

Two channels can be either Stereo or Dual Channel Mono.

If you send THE SAME SIGNAL to both channels that's dual channel mono.

You need to do some research on what stereo means.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound

Return to posts index

Mathew Joki
on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:54:15 am

I was hoping that it would record 2 stereo channels like the HVX does... how do I get a shotgun mic that I have plugged into Ch1 to record left and right to Ch 1/2 respectively?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:58:51 pm

[Mathew Joki] " was hoping that it would record 2 stereo channels like the HVX does."

HVX has built in stereo mic just like EX. It has two XLR in just like EX. I think you're confused. In professional cameras, a channel is a channel. One signal. Stereo is a PAIR - TWO CHANNELS. There are no "stereo" channels.

In EX there is menu that sends 1 channel to both 1 and 2. That's not stereo. That's ONE MONO CHANNEL DUPLICATED on to TWO Channels. The audio is the same on both. Some cameras have a switch for this and some have it in menu. EX is in menu.

Please read the manual or just check the audio menu in the camera. Page 101 in PDF Manual

AUDIO SET Menu
Audio Input
Setting for audio inputs
CH-1: To record channel 1 audio input on both channels 1 and 2.

Return to posts index

Mathew Joki
on Nov 19, 2009 at 9:42:20 am

So the EX1 compresses the Left and Right channels into ONE MONO channel?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 19, 2009 at 12:42:00 pm

1) the audio is UNCOMPRESSED - PCM
2) TWO mono channels.

Return to posts index

Mathew Joki
on Nov 26, 2009 at 10:03:29 am

What I was trying to ask was for clarification that it "flatness" the stereo input from the external XLR into one mono channel??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]