FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Lighting issues with LED's

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Sanchez
EX3 Lighting issues with LED's
on Nov 15, 2009 at 5:57:26 pm

I'm having some issues with the EX3 not translating the colors on stage properly, and it's just with LED lights. The blue LED's look fine, but when I do any other color, specifically anything with red in it (pink to purple and in between), it looks blue on the viewfinder and records that way as well (and spits out of the SDI the same way). Any suggestions on why this is happening, and how it can be fixed?

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
Re: EX3 Lighting issues with LED's
on Nov 15, 2009 at 8:54:28 pm

I recently shot a large outdoor display (LED waterfall) in Niagara Falls with 1000's of blue LED's. When I switched to a different Picture Profile, all the LED's turned purple/magenta in the VF and recorded that way. The matrix settings in the Picture Profile was likely the cause, so, that's what you should check.

Return to posts index

Dean Sensui
on Nov 15, 2009 at 9:02:52 pm

Your results will depend upon the type of LEDs used to build your lights.

In the case of Andrewsky's LED CoolLights, the spectral distribution is roughly similar to daylight until just past the 650 nm wavelength. There's a slight green spike, then a rapid falloff of energy in the longer wavelengths.

This means there is a lot less red in the light being emitted.

Some other LED lights might have a spike in longer wavelengths. LEDs vary widely in their spectral characteristics, so results would depend upon those characteristics.

In the case of the CoolLights, I insert a "minus 1/2 green" gel and the lights work just fine as supplementary lights in daylight conditions.

Dean Sensui -- Hawaii Goes Fishing

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Nov 17, 2009 at 3:54:34 pm

What LED's were you using? I've had no trouble with my LitePanel's but Roscoe LitePads are a mess. Big green spike and even with the right amount of minus green gel they shift all over if you add CTO to correct to daylight. I've had this with RED raw files too

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]