FORUMS: list search recent posts

Does Anyone have experience with the HOODMAN SD...

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Cookman
Does Anyone have experience with the HOODMAN SD...
on Nov 15, 2009 at 4:40:08 pm

Does anyone have experience with the Hoodman SD SXS card converter?

I need to know if this really works?

If you know that it works then I would like to answer this questions:
Do I have to use the hoodman sd card? Can I use any Class 6 or higher SD card?

Thanks,
John Cookman

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Does Anyone have experience with the HOODMAN SD...
on Nov 15, 2009 at 6:29:29 pm

I have the Hoodman adapter combined with the Trancsend 32 gig class 6 card. It has worked just fine for me without any errors. It is alot slower during downloads though so plan on extra time and it also uses fat 32 file structure which makes files on the card that are only 13 minutes long. It then starts a new file automaticly so when you edit you just place the files one after the other on the timeline. It works just fine but takes a little more time.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 15, 2009 at 6:55:35 pm

[Ron Pestes] "It is alot slower during downloads"
It's about half the speed of SxS all other things being equal. My guess is the speed is still 2 to 4 times faster than real time.

[Ron Pestes] "it also uses fat 32 file structure which makes files on the card that are only 13 minutes long. "
SxS uses the same file structure. This is nothing specific to Hoodman and SDHC use in the EX cameras.

Return to posts index

enrique orozco
on Nov 15, 2009 at 7:33:37 pm

[Ron Pestes] "it also uses fat 32 file structure which makes files on the card that are only 13 minutes long. "
SxS uses the same file structure. This is nothing specific to Hoodman and SDHC use in the EX cameras.

... I can always open longer clips than 13 minutes, If were shooted that way, on Sony Clip Browser OR Sony Vegas- timeline ..... could be a MAC/PC issue maybe....

kind regards

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 15, 2009 at 8:01:12 pm

The .smi metadata links clips but fundamentally and always, there is a 4GB file size limit to Fat32 which the EX uses. That is the only way it works. The .smi links the clips but they are separate 4GB files. There are programs that can join them such as Sony XDCAM Transfer when wrapping to .mov and I don't doubt than if an NLE could read the .smi it can see the file as one apparently joined file.

Return to posts index

John Cookman
on Nov 15, 2009 at 10:12:48 pm

Hey Guys, thank you for the confirmation on this. I am going to get this system going this week. I just got back from Fry's Electronics and I got a 16 gig CLASS 10 for 50 bucks. May be the class 10 will be a tad faster, hopefully. Is there any Sony warranty issues that may come with using this alternative method?

Thanks,
John

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 16, 2009 at 3:43:14 am

[Craig Seeman] "
SxS uses the same file structure. This is nothing specific to Hoodman and SDHC use in the EX cameras. "

I think that FAT-32 is the only option. Cards have to be read by PCs and Macs.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 16, 2009 at 8:00:46 pm

I had a big issue with the Transcend cards a few weeks ago. I occasionally get the "Restore Media" message. When I went to execute the restore, it took longer than normal. When I went to download the footage, nothing before the restore was there.

I don't know if this was a card issue or the camera going into format mode instead of restore. I still haven't recovered any footage.

I would recommend at least one 32G SxS for your important project & the SD Cards for B-Roll stuff.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Nov 18, 2009 at 8:57:45 pm

Over the last year and a half, I've bought about 30 of the 32GB Transcend cards and 3 Hoodman adaptors for my 2 EX-3 cameras and have shot over 3K hours of video with these cards adn adaptors. Several things to keep in mind, there seems to a problem these cards have when you run into "Restore Media" quite a bit.

I know several times e've had video corrupted, as these are not Sony cards. The adaptors and the cards mimic the Sony file cards perfectly, but there are always points within using the correct brand for the right reasons versus saving money and paying for it with hundreds of unrecoverable video clips or video with green line artifacts, and many other issues. I know LenseWorks in SLC have all done away with all their Transcend cards and adaptors after having to turn away work due to non-Sony card issues. Since this company has switched back to all Sony cards and import and copy workflow, they have had no problems.

The new macs do not come with the cards slots for Hoodman adaptors, which transfer speed is identical to that of transferring a Sony card, so you'll need to use the USB adaptor that comes with the card. We are slowly finding out that a lot of our artifacts could be caused not by the card, but by the way "Finder" file-transfers. I was reading about CRC-checking and we're actually going to be testing this soon, but essentially what I'm saying is, we've had tons of problems with these cards, loosing video, corrupted video, or the "Restore Media" errors. We have 2 of the Sony 16GB cards on our crews and have never had any issues with Sony cards, recording, playing back, or transferring.

I'd wait till cards get cheaper of be careful with using the cards as you never know when you've lost video till you get back to the editing bay, or you're right in the middle of a shoot, and "Restore Media" error happens and you're scratching your head. Always remove the card, after you power it down. Never remove the card while it is still writing, as well as while it is still "Restoring Media", red light blinking.

We're still in debate whether we'll get rid of ours or not. If we find some work-arounds with some video we have, we'll keep them once workflow stabilizes with non-Sony cards. Also, as long as it's class 6 or higher, you should be good. The higher the class, really doesn't matter.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Editor
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:39:15 pm

Tom, do you do a full test of the SDHC cards before using? You must run two cards end to end non stop. Also do a series of short records, deleting clips periodically until you fill up the card. If the card gives you a restore media it's never put into service.The "spec" on these cards vary. Some are in spec and some are not for use with EX. I find if a card is in spec it generally stays that way.

It really sounds like you dumped a lot of cards in service without testing.

Always use ClipBrowser with CRC checking on otherwise you could be making corrupted copies from the cards.

Return to posts index

enrique orozco
on Nov 16, 2009 at 8:29:57 pm

"I think that FAT-32 is the only option. Cards have to be read by PCs and Macs."

.... yes, I agree... but you dont need a 13 minutes per clip limitation on your timeline..... if I filmed a 20 minutes clip, I have a 20 minutes clip on my timeline... linked or whatever.....

kind regards

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]