FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lacie Rugged Orange 500 Gig Hard Drive

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Vandall
Lacie Rugged Orange 500 Gig Hard Drive
on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:53:35 pm

Hi,

I am shooting with the EX-1 and using a Lacie rugged 500 gig hard drive for editing. I am concerned however because the hard drive has no fan and it is powered through a firewire 800 cable. The great thing is that the hard drive is so convenient, and I can edit anywhere if I have to.

I just want to know what people think about this hard drive. So far it has been fast enough and no problems yet.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
Re: Lacie Rugged Orange 500 Gig Hard Drive
on Nov 14, 2009 at 4:46:23 pm

Never use a fan-less hard drive for editing! Notice how blazing hot it is getting? If you don't have your footage backed up, then I would do that right now. Fan-less drives can blink out with no notice, and if you use it for editing, then you are killing the drive. Always use a fanned drive for editing because you are whirling that thing constantly. I do indeed use these fan-less hard drives but only to transfer footage from the field to editing dives. They are tremendously handy for that.

There is also a case for planning for redundancy and using a RAID 5 mirrored hard drive system so that you have backed up your footage.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Felix Halter
on Nov 14, 2009 at 9:21:42 pm

I have edited 8 projects with that rugged little HD in media 100 (HD and SD projects) within the last six months and was surprised how well this lightweight fan-less drive performed. As long as you do daily backups of your work you should be able to avoid any major disasters.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 16, 2009 at 7:38:34 am

The portable Lacie Rugged drives are excellent field drives Peter, and they perform as edit drives very reliably indeed. You have absolutely no cause for concern beyond the usual best practice of maintaing backups of your media.

If you search the internet you may find countess posts from folks warning others away from Lacie drives ... every one of those posts is almost certainly with regard to Lacie's 3.5" (desktop drive) based models which have indeed suffered from poor reliability and even poorer reputation, but not so their 2.5" (notebook drive) based models which are every bit as reliable as those from other respected manufacturers.

Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Peter Vandall
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:01:50 pm

Hi Andy,

Thanks so much for giving me your thoughts on this. I am concerned because of the absence of a fan. It just seems to good to be true because these drives are so convenient to hook up.

Where online can I go and read posts commenting on the lacie rugged?

Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Peter

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 16, 2009 at 2:51:39 pm

Hey Peter

Appreciate your concern, but the supposed "fanless" issue is massively overstated, at least with regard to laptop disc based external enclosures. In my recent experience ( 40+ ENG crews around the globe working on laptops and a variety of external 2.5" enclosures, both fanned and fanless, over the last 3 years or so ) I've not seen or heard of any of those drives failing due to overheating or other fanless based issues ... dropped and broken drives, yes (that big orange bumper is a big orange gimmick btw), fans failing and making a nasty noise even, but not "oh no my drive just stopped working, I think its cooked".

That said, I'm not a particular fan of the Lacie Rugged drives especially; they are perfectly good drives and are solid and reliable performers but as alluded above, I do think you're paying a premium for that bit of orange rubber. I've found them to be no more or less reliable, or more or less "rugged" than any of the other drives we've used.

Fwiw tho, if you're budgeting for a replacement drive and are thinking of upping the ante a little, then my current drives of choice would be the G-Technolgy G-DRIVE mini SSD, the Sonnet Fusion F2 (fanless), the G-Technolgy G-RAID mini (fanned) and the Lacie Little Big Disc Quadra (fanless).

Hope it helps
Andy

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 16, 2009 at 5:26:29 pm

We use ours as an in-field backup. From its size I'd say it has a laptop hard drive in it. I don't think I'd care to edit from it if I could avoid it, due to caution rather than hard data.

Cf

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 18, 2009 at 1:51:24 am

[Andy Mees] " I do think you're paying a premium for that bit of orange rubber. I've fo"
I agree with Andy and if you are concerned about heat, any metal enclosure will work better.
I'm using the LaCie Little Big Disc. I work in a very hot environment and they work great.
5.400 RPM, low heat, low power consumption and enough for any kind of Prores and even 10b Unc 720p.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 17, 2009 at 7:03:25 pm

By the way, we received one of these things in the mail the other day, containing some footage for a project we're working on. It was in one of those blow-molded style cases (with the sliding latch) for a 5 minute Betacam tape. It fit PERFECTLY. Of course, we don't have any of that style of case, so I'm hunting for a couple of 'em. The ones for S and 3/4" don't work; the drive rattles around inside of them.

Cf

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Nov 18, 2009 at 9:04:50 pm

Have 4 of them, purchased last year, and after over 30 shoots, still work fine, both for storage and FCP editing.

Tom Laughlin
Producer/Video Editor
School Improvement Network
Salt Lake City, UT
FCP7/Sony EX-3/Mac Intel

Return to posts index

sean harris
on Jan 7, 2010 at 10:52:17 am

My rugged drive lasted three months before deciding to unmount randomly after about 15 minutes of use. I think these products are horrible. I've got more than 50 LaCie hard drives, and at least a dozen are suspect. I've also bought more than 20 G-Tech drives and NEVER had a single problem with any of them, including a 7200-rpm special bought from Melrose Mac in 2005 that has been to four continents in jungles and arctic blizzards and is my portable drive of choice, not having missed a beat in five "rugged" years.

--------------------
MEMORY
is a map of limits
a reminder of what never was
and now will never be
--------------------

http://www.seanieblue.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]