FORUMS: list search recent posts

NIGHTMARE discovered with clipbrowser 2.6

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
bruno perosa
NIGHTMARE discovered with clipbrowser 2.6
on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:28:09 pm

Yesterday I had a shoot, a c/u at 3 meters distance and a w/s at same subject without touching the focus & from the same distance, so I go home and the wide was out, I thought I must have done something stupid (I had sent the EX3 to Sony when I bough it in February for a focus problem, when it came back was fine).
So I did a test with a similar situation (at 2.2, yes I know is not between 5 and 8) and the problem persisted, OK, the FB you will say, yes, could be, but what I discovered is DREADFUL:
Please check it if you have clip browser 2.6:
1) with the camera PP off, on different power on/off, the gamma on the acquisition window/animation view goes on CINE3, CINE4, STD3 depending on the shot
2) the focus on the acquisition window/animation view, shot ABSOLUTELY with EVERYTHING FULL MANUAL, jumps on a slow 10 sec. zoom shot, between different distances, for example on a infinity focus (but same on a closer subject, although with smaller differences) go between meters 22.4, 19.2, 70.8 and back to infinity again.
If you have 2.6 browser i beg you to do a test and tell me what are your outcome.
Thanks

EX3, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: NIGHTMARE discovered with clipbrowser 2.6
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:02:24 pm

Sorry but I have no idea what you're talking about. ClipBrowser is a file transfer system. The only feature that can impact the "look" of a shot is the new Flash Band feature in 2.6 and that's simple enough to disable if it guesses incorrectly. If you're using ClipBrowser as "confidence" or QC monitoring than you're misusing the app. It certainly may scale the image for playback and maybe that has changed. Judge your files on a broadcast monitor or equivalent higher quality monitor only. Even NLEs have scaling algorithms to improve display and playback of large files in small windows.

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:48:46 pm

Hi Graig and everybody,

Yes the clip browser has nothing to do with B.F. but what I discovered trough the C.B. 2.6 is an issue with the lens and/or the EX3, please anybody shoot something and then check it on the C.B. 2.6 aquisit. wind./animat. view, do the follow, please:

1) record anything with PP off, manual everything, focus, do a zoom, switch off camera, on again, record something else with different settings still with PP off, manual all, focus, do a zoom.

2) plug the SxS in the Express 34 slot of your MBP, launch C.B. 2.6, check the clips you just shot and select aquisit. wind./animat. view,
have a look at the focus distance (NOT the D.F.): does it change?
have a look at the gamma, what does it say?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:17:42 pm

As I stated before, Clip Browser is not a QC tool. It is a file transfer tool. There's no reason to use Clip Browser to confirm any behavior that needs visual QC.

Check on a broadcast monitor.

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:39:58 pm

I suppose I can't explain myself, let's forget for a moment checking anything with anything,
1) if you shoot with any PP, when you import, you'll see on the gamma of the C.B. 2.6 the correct gamma corresponding to the PP you shot with, so if you use PP off, why the gamma on the C.B. tells you aleatory anything it fills-like: STD3, CINE whatever, etc.
2) if you manually set the focus, say at 4 meters, why do the CB tells you that you shot at 2.5, 3, 4.7, 6... ???

Is this happening just to me or is it happening to someone else as well, that is what I would like to know.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:04:35 pm

Are you saying that Clip Browser is not properly reading the metadata? I believe reporting that information is a new feature in Clip Browser 2.6. Perhaps you can post a screenshot of the metadata display and then explain what you actually shot at. If it's misreporting the meta data that's a bug that should be reported to Sony ASAP. They like to see evidence of the bug though.

Just to clarify, if I understand you correctly, Clip Browser is reporting a gamma setting even if you have Picture Profile turned off. I would think it would default to STD3 (if memory serves me).

Are you also saying it's reporting a focal length of something other than you shot out?

Please do provide screen shots. Maybe some of use who have CB 2.6 already can test and verify.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:23:24 pm

i don't understand your problem. The Clip Broswer has nothing to do with back focus issues.

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Nov 13, 2009 at 5:52:39 pm

please have a look above

Return to posts index

ronn kilby
on Nov 13, 2009 at 7:08:36 pm

Well I think I know where you're going with this - using the CB to confirm your suspicion of focus drift. So I did exactly as you described, and using "acquisition" saw absolutely no change in focus numbers throughout, shooting all manual no PP, at 3 different focal lengths from same distance, turning camera off then on then starting over. So it may be worse than a nightmare - with a nightmare you wake up and it's OK. This may mean another trip to Sony. As Craig and Jay said, in the end check it on a good monitor. Good luck!

http://www.kilby.tv

[edit] Forgot to mention the gamma setting stayed on "STD3" no matter what.

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Nov 13, 2009 at 8:13:53 pm

Well, thanks, I suppose it means another call to Sony

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]