FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 picture problem....

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Borjis
EX1 picture problem....
on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:40:13 pm

I've experienced a problem from time to time with EX1 footage.

it would be best described as looking like a ground loop issue.
It will be there a few seconds and then it's gone. no amount of tweaking the footage
gets rid of it and it sounds like it occurs as a result of
the cmos imager under non-ideal lighting conditions.

has anyone else experienced this?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 picture problem....
on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:56:34 pm

[Chris Borjis] "it would be best described as looking like a ground loop issue. "

Do you mean "roll bars" in the video where a portion of the image appears lighter or darker and moves up or down over time? That can be florescent lighting. Maybe the visual "cycling" is made more prevalent given CMOS scanning but without the specific context it's hard to trouble shoot a general statement. The EX does include controls to adjust for that to some extent.

[Chris Borjis] "no amount of tweaking the footage
gets rid of it"
You correct for it during the shoot. You don't mention what tweaking you do but attempting to fix it would be using similar tactics to any other moving issue which would mean track matte a solution which can be cumbersome and time consuming, may not be worth it, which is why one should address it during the shoot.

Return to posts index

Ken Libby
on Nov 13, 2009 at 4:36:48 pm

I believe you might have the "flicker reduce" control on. I had the same issues until I turned that OFF. Haven't seen the problem in over a year with that turned off. Hope it works for you.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 13, 2009 at 6:42:45 pm

yeah Craig thats it.

thanks ken, I'll look into that.

the thing is, it was not showing on the view finder or monitor during shooting....scary stuff.

Return to posts index

Chris Borjis
on Nov 13, 2009 at 9:07:59 pm

Just turned it off. it was set for "AUTO"

hopefully that was it.

Return to posts index

Ken Libby
on Nov 14, 2009 at 2:09:41 am

I bet it'll be fine now. Same thing happened to me early last year. Turned it off and have never seen it again. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 14, 2009 at 3:54:47 am

Hi Chris,
Last week while shooting I had to switch off a fluorescent because no one of the "reduce flickering" options worked well. I'm in PAL land but was shooting p30. I was in hurry like to make further tests, but I have to check that in deep.
Cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Chandler Kauffman
on Nov 18, 2009 at 2:26:23 am

I'm having the same issue with my EX1. A regular client of mine is in Germany so I shoot 1080 25P for them. I've never had any issues until yesterday when I started getting a persistent rollbar through the entire frame. The really weird thing is that the lighting was my Kino Flo Diva 400's which shouldn't have any flicker at all, and never have, and even more confusing, regular household tungsten bulbs.
Those shouldn't flicker until you get up into the high hundreds fps.
I tried Clear Scan, changing shutter speeds etc and finally gave up and switched over to 24P for the sake of getting the job done, which looked fine.
I just tried you turning off the flicker reduce (which was on unbeknownst to me) at home and am getting the rollbar under my 100w lamp at 25P 1/50. A bit better at 1/60th, but it shouldn't matter under a tungsten filament bulb
Any ideas?
Thanks

Sony EX1
Canon 5d mark 2
FCP 6.06

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]