FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX footage on big screen

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Morten Andreassen
EX footage on big screen
on Nov 12, 2009 at 2:15:28 pm

We are shooting a feature film for kids next year, and are considering alternative cameras to RED and the Sony 900. The film will be shown in theatres, and I wonder if anyone has experienced how the Sony EX-3-footage looks on a big screen, maybe also compared to footage from RED and 900. I suspect the compression differences will show. If we go for the EX-3, we will use Letus DOF adapter. Any other suggestions for cameras will be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX footage on big screen
on Nov 12, 2009 at 2:49:50 pm

Depends 100% on the size of the screen, the quality of the projector and the quality of the projection source. If it's 1080p ProRes with high-end color correction playing over HDMI going out to a 60 feet high gain screen with a Sony SRX 4K projector run by a talented projectionist- will look awesome. You just go down from there. You should not see any significant compression-type artifacts. To be honest I haven't seen such things in any camera above say $4,000 these days. If you have good content you should be just fine.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Call Box Training now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, Canon 7D, and Panasonic DVX100.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 12, 2009 at 10:28:35 pm

I have just seen a film I made with the EX1 on a big cinema screen. Although it was shot at 1080i, edited in HD (Media 100) the projection was from a Blu-Ray DVD. The cinema has an expensive new digital projector, a great technician and the picture looked great. It was the 'Making Of' a feature film and the main film was shot by a fantastic DOP on the EX3 using the Movie Tube at 1080P and that obviously looked great too. My picture though did not look all that different from the main one!!

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Nov 13, 2009 at 3:56:37 pm

I've seen material we've shot projected on a large screen from a Sony 4K projector and it looked great, no issues with artifacts, if you want to be surethough just add a Convergent Design NanoFlash

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Ryan Johnson
on Nov 16, 2009 at 4:01:01 pm

Did you have to make DCP packages for the sony 4K's ?
(Digital Cinema Packages). Did you up convert to 2k ?
How exactlly did the work flow go ?

I did some work for a local movie theater and they have
all CineAlta 4K's running on a server. I had to uprez it to 2K
then make a DCP to get it to work. Pain in the A$$.

So if anyone has a more info I'd love to know !

Ryan

Return to posts index

richard ladkani
on Nov 17, 2009 at 8:06:41 am

Hi,

I tested Sony EX3 in split screens and intercut with a Sony F900R and the results are stunning. ONly in 720p Slowmo 60p mode will you see a softer image. In Full Res you see almost no difference. The limits of the EX3 only become visible when colorcorrecting shots that very over or under exposed.
Another problem we saw is when you have pans across high detail areas with lots of contrast like a forest. The compression of the EX3 can't handle it and the image starts to shutter pretty badly. We had this problem when shooting steadycam in the jugle after it rained and the sun came out. The images were hardly usable. The F900 worked fine.
The EX3 is amazing though for low light shots. Much better than the F900R. We actually used the EX3 for candlelight or open fire shots instead of the F900 because the F900 saw nothing when the EX3 still gave a decent image. There was also no noise in these shots. We watched all this footage on a baselight 2k Projector on a 8m (24ft) long screen.

Also very careful to turn the shutter ON to 1/50 below the lens. It's often forgotten.

Good luck
Richard

http://www.richardladkani.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]