FORUMS: list search recent posts

Correct Histogram usage

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Dunn
Correct Histogram usage
on Nov 9, 2009 at 8:16:38 pm

I saw a post about this histogram. I haven't really used it much. I've used zebra, but not the histogram. What is the correct way to use it?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Correct Histogram usage
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:16:02 pm

Try to set your aperture so the histogram is more or less centered. Do not lose any info off the right side. This would indicate the suject is overexposed while if it is off the left side it is underexposed. If you blow the highlights out you can't recover them in post very easily if at all. Sometimes you can recover some darker scenes but it is best to explose correctly when shooting. If your subject is very dark the histogram will be very tall on the left side. If this happens try opening the aperture or increasing the gain but be careful with using to much gain as it can make the image grainy.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 10, 2009 at 2:38:06 pm

As a still photographer, I was tickled to see the histogram display on the EX cameras. I use it in Photoshop and on my still camera as well. If you really want to find out a lot about this, you can perform a web search in that context (photography or Photoshop) since it's probably been covered a lot better there. Ron's suggestions were right-on, and as with anything it'd be good advice to make sure you get a little more detailed understanding of the tool in order to use it best.

Cf

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 10, 2009 at 6:35:43 pm

Thanks, it was just one of those tools I've never used. There's always something to make my life easier, or more complicated. I've been using the zebra. I try to stay away from gain as much as possible, but sometimes I have to boost it to 6db for nighttime event shooting. Even at that, it's still pretty clean.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]