FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tripod for pmw ex1r 2 -1/4 20 threads base plate

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Weller
Tripod for pmw ex1r 2 -1/4 20 threads base plate
on Nov 9, 2009 at 5:31:50 pm

Hi. the new pmw ex1r has 2 - 1/4 20 threads with a center hole in between. i have never seen a tripod head with that specification.

would this davis and sanford tripod and head work. it is listed under accessories at B and H for the ex1r:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/563815-REG/Davis_Sanford__ProVista_Ai...

but it only has one 1/4 20 screw.

if not, what will be used for this new base plate?

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
Re: Tripod for pmw ex1r 2 -1/4 20 threads base plate
on Nov 9, 2009 at 6:51:11 pm

I am developing a baseplate for the EX3R that is much stronger and has "wing" for mounting mikes NanoFlash etc. And has universal 3/8" and 1/4" that fits any Pro head.

I currently am making pre production plates for the EX1.

If you are interested contact me.

Olof Ekbergh
olof@westsideav.com

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 11, 2009 at 8:53:33 pm

"I am developing a baseplate for the EX3R..."

Hm...really? :) Any details to share?

Cf

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Nov 12, 2009 at 12:24:12 pm

""I am developing a baseplate for the EX3R..."

Hm...really? :) Any details to share? "

OK Clint, sorry I meant the EX1R.

I do have plates and wings for the EX1 and EX3.

I guess now I need a proof reader.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 12, 2009 at 4:51:58 pm

I wasn't trying to play the part of the nitpicky proofreader, I was just hoping for some juicy details! :)

Cf

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:24:48 pm

Use one screw for now. Many times, heads come with extra screws. Most Manfrotto/Bogen heads come with two 1/4" screws and two 3/8" screws. The spares are mounted on the underside of the head.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

Stephen Weller
on Nov 9, 2009 at 11:04:41 pm

Thanks for your replies, and options for mounting the ex1r. steve

Return to posts index

Stephen Weller
on Apr 29, 2010 at 6:42:23 pm

As this post shows up in searches for an EX1r tripod, i will add the solution i found. the custom base plate for sale for the ex1r looks good especially if you need arms to mount a nanoflash, or wireless mic system. as someone mentioned - pro manfrotto tripods often come with extra screws, so i guessed you can configure one with 2 1/4 screws to match the stock tripod plate on the ex1r. the manfrotto 501hdv head is the entry level tripod head with these configurable quick release tripod plates. i found the Manfrotto 501HDV,351MVB2K 1-Stage Tripod System Kit to be a suitable match for the ex1r at $400 with head, legs, and case. no, its not the best fluid head or sticks out there, but it gets the job done. i bought an extra quick release plate, and 2 manfrotto quick release plate 1/4 screws from FilmTools so i have two plates with 2 screws each if needed. you simply pull out a rubber plug on the plate, and slide in what screws you need, than secure the rubber plug. an obvious note. the pin hole between the two screw threads on the stock ex1r tripod plate is used when you are using a one screw quick release plate, as there is no need for the pin when the plate is secured to the camera by two screws. i found that using just one screw, and the pin was not suitable. the camera swivels a little, and if you put the heavy wide angle conversion lens on the front of the camera, i just would not trust one small 1/4 in screw with that weight on an unbalanced consumer tripod thinking the screw could snap, and your lens adapter and camera falling off the tripod. the manfrotto 2 screw plates are secure, and slide and lock for perfect balance. i am not concerned that two screws would snap on a balanced pro tripod head. there are much better tripods and heads, but this works well for me.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]