FORUMS: list search recent posts

FIle Operations in File Access Mode, PDWU1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Geof Gilland
FIle Operations in File Access Mode, PDWU1
on Nov 6, 2009 at 4:45:27 pm

Have PDWU1. Software Version is XDCAM Transfer 2.10.0. What exactly does File Operations in Access Mode mean for me? I can transfer a variety of files and folders to the USERDATA folder on the XDCAMHD disc. (Is there a limit here?) I can transfer about 500MB in the GENERAL folder on the XDCAMHD disc.

Is this a method of using these discs as a backup system on the Mac in 22GB chunks? Is there anyway for the Mac to format the discs and get rid of the "standard" formatting that takes place when the disc is initially placed in the PDWU1?

How are others using this and are there any "gotchas" to be aware of?

Thanks in advance for your help. Geof.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: FIle Operations in File Access Mode, PDWU1
on Nov 6, 2009 at 10:55:36 pm

I'm just getting off the ground with this (was working on a database system first). Yep, using the disc with file operations opens it up like a removable drive. You don't get the full 23GB of a disc since the USER and other folders have their allocations. The tests I've done so far are GREAT with Clip Browser and XDCAM Transfer.

Cf

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Nov 6, 2009 at 11:31:11 pm

I'm not sure what you mean by 'File Operations in Access Mode'. Are you refering to the FAM driver which is installed as part of XDCAM Transfer? This is for a firewire connection with optical disc cameras and decks, and is not necessary if you are using a PDW-U1. The XDCAM Drive software is what allows to write files to a PDW-U1.

The UserData folder is a good place for backing up BPAV folders. The capacity is a bit under the stated disc capacity. Presumably, some of it is reserved for the other folders which you can't get rid of. In fact, I'm not sure that these really exist; If you connect the PDW-U1 without first installing the XDCAM Drive software you see a completely different folder structure.

Clip Browser will let you copy BPAVs to the UserData folder (there's a preference setting that you have to change) and, as long as you remember to put each one in a separate folder inside the UserData folder, the Transfer tool will recognise them.

The draw back? That would have to be the cost of the discs.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 9, 2009 at 2:27:02 pm

The "File Operations" tab is in the preferences for XDCAM Transfer, if I remember correctly...or is it Clip Browser?

I figure the cost of the discs is comparable enough to what we were spending on videotape, while FAR more durable than burned DVDs or Blu-Rays, to be reasonable.

Cf

Return to posts index

Daniel Wright
on Nov 9, 2009 at 9:27:09 pm

Yeh, it was the 'in Access Mode' bit applied to the PDW-U1 that took me by surprise. Anyway, as long as its only me that's confused :-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]