FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1R workflow?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
EX1R workflow?
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:22:04 pm

Howdy folks

Hope to get a EX1R when it comes out - so I've not used EX before, used to using SONY Z1U...so workflow wise, after I shoot on the 2 x 32GB cards (which I hope to be using), do I just transfer the material straight form the camera to my MAC PRO using HDMI or firewire? So what if I need to give the material to a client there and then, can't give him the expensive cards, do I have to transfer them in FCP then out put QT files to a hard drive or DVD or what?

When a card is full does it automatically switch over to the more empty card? When both are full and I have no more cards do I have to go Xfer it all to FCP then delete the material on those cards, then shoot?

Yes, very newbie with all digital workflow...thanks.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1R workflow?
on Nov 5, 2009 at 6:31:45 pm

File transfer is USB or SxS card reader or laptop with Express Port.

Firewire and HDMI are for video, not files.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Nov 5, 2009 at 8:14:23 pm

You won't be able to give a client the footage on site unless he has a computer that will play the EX format or can rewrap it to another codec. Plan on burning a DVD for him later.

When one card fills up the camera will switch over to the other card automaticly without missing a frame. Then you can change the first card while the camera is still recording to the second card. This works really great when you do not have the option of stopping to change cards. When cards are full you will need to download them and them delete the files. If you have a laptop you can do this in the field as the camera is recording to another card but the best bet is to have enough cards to handle a days shoot without downloading so you can make sure you have everything transferred to the computer with no problems before erasing. Two 32 gig cards should give you about 4 hr. of recording.

Apple Certified Master Pro FCS 2
Sony EX-3
MacBook Pro

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Nov 5, 2009 at 8:19:50 pm

Great answers and help - thanks much for your time.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 5, 2009 at 8:26:44 pm

[Ron Pestes] "You won't be able to give a client the footage on site unless he has a computer that will play the EX format or can rewrap it to another codec. Plan on burning a DVD for him later. "

I've handed clients the video with ClipBrowser. They can also play with VLC player so no Sony specific software is needed.

Don't confuse rewrapping with encoding. Rewrapping is still the same codec. Encoding to another codec...is encoding.

If the client wants something else they pay (or the cost is built in) just as making VHS Window Dubs had been for BetaSP or DigiBeta shoots.

VLC really works well if they have a reasonably fast computer. They get to see full master quality and some of my clients really appreciate that.

[Ron Pestes] "ing so you can make sure you have everything transferred to the computer with no problems before erasing. Two 32 gig cards should give you about 4 hr. of recording. "
[Ron Pestes] "If you have a laptop you can do this in the field as the camera is recording to another card but the best bet is to have enough cards to handle a days shoot without downloading"

Yes, it's best to buy more cards and not risk offloading during a shoot where mistakes can happen. That's why many people buy SDHC adaptors since one can get many of those compared to SxS.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:03:11 pm

So does one just have the client download this ClipBrowser software on their computer, pop in the SxS 32GB card in a reader, the client can now download the files to computer? Never done this workflow so am asking basic questions.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:08:23 pm

Or, I take it, the client can just download the VLC player as well and then how do they get the files from the SxS cards? What's the process, insert card into their computer via a reader or what? Then VLC player will just play or transfer the video files to their computer as shot?

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:29:16 pm

Burn the BPAV to an optical disc (DVD) or if they offer a hard drive that works too.
Include VLC (and/or ClipBrowser) on the disk. I've included a quick tutorial video I've made so they can use it.

Actually VLC only needs the MP4 so you could very well just hand them the MP4 but YOU really need to be 100% confident you know what you're doing because UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES do YOU want to have anything other that pristine BPAV as your masters.

Keep in mind you can always go the "old fashioned" dub route and make them WMV and H.264 MOV files but that, like any other dub, the client has to pay for and, like any dub, they are not the same quality as the master. Many (maybe most) still want this (they MUST PAY FOR IT) since it's easier for them but some clients want a fast turnover of files to view at master quality and UNLIKE the old days, you can do that now.

Ultimately, one of the great features of files based systems is that one does not need a compatible deck to view. The free VLC will work. They don't even have to have the codec installed.

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Nov 6, 2009 at 5:37:29 pm

Very helpful, thanks

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

William Mims
on Nov 7, 2009 at 2:03:08 pm

If I may...
I have the Sony SxS cards (8Gb) and have yet been able to load them into Clip Browser or Vegas Pro 9, however I have been buying Transcend 16gb cards ($36)[57mins.] without one problem after several downloads and erases. The reader/MRX card from E-Films(Aus) fits nicely into my EX 3's slots. 32gb cards cost as much as three 16gb cards so does your shooting schedule really demand 32gb cards? If not, the Transcend cards from Amazon (class 6 - of course) work very well and at $ 36, you can have all you need for a day's shoot without erasing until you know you are backed up in more than one place.
Just my opinion.

Mims

Return to posts index

Glenn Student
on Apr 4, 2011 at 10:41:01 pm

I think you really need the Sony privided XDCAM Transfer software to transfer the files from your SxS cards to your computer for use in an editing system. I've been using it flawlessly.

I am surprised that you are having success with the Transcend cards as I've heard many complaints about them and especially that you are using Class 6. Everything I've ever read said you really need to use Class 10 so that is all I've been using. I use only Hoodman Raw SDHC Class 10 ($180) with the Hoodman SxS Adapter card ($40) and have had no problems and I shoot very frequently and reformat the cards after each shoot.

Glenn Student
D&D Video Productions
Las Vegas, NV

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]