FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with PMW EX1 footage in Final Cut Pro

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Young
Problem with PMW EX1 footage in Final Cut Pro
on Nov 4, 2009 at 2:50:23 pm

Hello Team,

I'm quite new to this forum, but I sure would love to have advice from you experts about my predicament with a new Sony PMW EX1 camcorder connected to my Mac.

My camcorder Sony model records in XDCAM EX format, but to my disappointment, I cannot read the .MP4 files into Final Cut Pro. This is really frustrateing as I have some urgent editing to do.

So what would resolve this problem? I can't even playback the movie files in iMovie or Quicktime! Help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone.
Joe

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Problem with PMW EX1 footage in Final Cut Pro
on Nov 4, 2009 at 3:28:09 pm

Joe,

Just curious....

Have you read the EX manual? Start with page 113.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 4, 2009 at 3:46:40 pm

FCP 6.0.2 or higher - a MUST
ClipBrowser (2.5.1 or 2.6) to copy the entire BPAV folders then use
XDCAM Transfer or FCP with Sony Log & Transfer to re-wrap to MOV with no added loss.
Alternately - CalibratedSoftware EX MP4 plugin for $90 and you can use the MP4 directly.

When you describe a problem as "cannot read" you should explain EXACTLY what's happening. There's no explanation of what you've done. What error messages if any, what versions of software you've used. All the above will work.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:03:25 pm

You should be using the free Sony software designed to work with and transfer these files. Sure, you can spend $90 on a codec to use the MP4 files directly, but that raises a concern with me. That concern: if you use the MP4 files natively, you're likely to dig them out of the BPAV folder and make one heck of a mess of things.

The BPAV folder structure may look like a bunch of gobbledygook in the Finder, but it has a definite structure. The software designed to work with these cameras uses that structure to make sense of the footage. Breaking that by poking around in there or moving/removing MP4 files is asking for trouble.

If you need to use those files on something other than a FCP system down the road, and need to export MXF files, you will run into issues unless the BPAV folder remains intact. Yes, there are ways of rescuing MP4 files and building a new BPAV folder, but why not just do the research and use the proper workflow to start with?

Step 1: review shots with Clip Browser, copy/move as needed
Step 2: transfer shots to FCP in Quicktime format with XDCAM Transfer
Step 3: archive complete intact BPAV folders for those "that'll never happen" scenarios that happen later

Cf

Return to posts index

Greg Booth
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:07:16 pm

Hi Clint,

When using Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import - we also don't advise removing or altering the BPAV structure in anyway. Craig Seeman actually made short video tutorial on how to quickly import the MP4 files directly into FCP with Calibrated{Q} MP4-EX Import without altering any of the BPAV folder structure.

http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/supportlibrary_view.asp?FAQs_ID=19

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:27:50 pm

And in the COW tutorial list.

Import the entire folder structure into FCP. Find the media files. Delete the rest. No need to touch the BPAV on the hard drive. In my example you can batch import multiple cards, projects, etc., all at once.
WAY FASTER than re-wrapping to MOV

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:55:36 pm

Yeah I am on the same page with you guys...I'm just saying that if someone's already trying to "break the workflow" by rooting around in the BPAV folder for MP4 files, then they may also be likely to keep the MP4s and trash the rest. We've seen a few of those people post here in the past, or people who've been bitten by videographers who do.

The Calibrated Software codec for FCP is awesome (I'm buying it today, actually) but I think it's more problematic to import a BPAV folder and strip out what you don't want than it is to just use the Sony tools the way they were intended...especially if you're not a really "nuts & bolts" type of person. It's frustrating to see so many people who can't just sit down, read the manual, learn the workflow, and proceed without a lot of stress. Compounding the frustration is that it seems to be less tech-savvy people who are breaking their BPAV folders.

It seems the people who need the manual the most (and I'm not necessarily referring to the original poster here, just making a broad generalization) are the ones least likely to read it :)

Cf

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Nov 4, 2009 at 10:58:50 pm

I must say that I have been a bit frustrated with Sony for not marketing and teaching XDCam workflow better. The best information I got in the beginning was from Doug Jensen and Vortex Media DVDs. But I advocate using XDCam Transfer to get the BPAV folders into FCP. If you have a clip that spanned over to another card, then Transfer them all at once, so you see the spanned clips. Calibrated is good software, but since I often let the camera roll in surgery, I like those clips spanned over multiple cards into one long clip I can synch with other such clips.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 5, 2009 at 12:00:54 am

Return to posts index

Joe Young
on Nov 7, 2009 at 6:36:39 pm

Hi everyone,
First of all I must apologise for my late reply.
I have been quite busy with the editing I had to do, but I sure would like to thank you all for all your kind and HIGHLY invaluable advice you've given to me, novice in video editing.

I am going to try out the Calibratedsoftware plugin for FC Pro soon, so I shall let you know how it works out with me.

Kind regards to everyone,
Joe

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 6, 2009 at 3:36:18 pm

[Joe Young] "o my disappointment, I cannot read the .MP4 files into Final Cut Pro. This is really frustrateing as I have some urgent editing to do.

So what would resolve this problem?"

Joe,
you shouldn't be disappointed neither frustrated.
before to buying or rent a camera that you don't know it, you should learn about.
Also having urgent editing to do in a format that you have not a basic idea is not a good policy.
As you can see in this forum, even a cat, with the convenient reading and practice, can shot and edit amazing movies.
Most of all don't blame your Ex-1.
Best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]