FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red skews give me pixels/aliasing

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stefan Sonnabend
Red skews give me pixels/aliasing
on Nov 4, 2009 at 11:01:06 am

Hello fellow cows,

I've been using the XDCAM EX3 for quite some time now and just noticed some pretty ugly aliasing on red areas. I don't know if it's my profile setup as haven't had the time to change it yet, but will do next week.

I've uploaded a screenshot made for some work-in-progress x-mas decoration vids, where you can clearly see the aliasing effect on the skews of the red ribbon:

http://img530.imageshack.us/i/screenshotxmaswindlicht.jpg/

If any of you guys has experienced the same of does know a way to avoid/fix this problem, I would be very grateful.

You can also see some faint kinda 'glow' around the bottom of her hand as well: http://img513.imageshack.us/i/screenshotxmaswindlicht.jpg/

So long, thanks in advance,

Stefan Sonnabend

Make sure to hit the "Full Size" button to see the aliasing on the skews.

EDIT: recorded in 1080p25, Shutter 1/50
EDIT2: By the way, it's the same with that bright blue scissors.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
Re: Red skews give me pixels/aliasing
on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:34:59 pm

How--in what format--will this final project be delivered?

Return to posts index

Stefan Sonnabend
on Nov 4, 2009 at 12:51:15 pm

It's for a website and will be converted down to 592*333 @ 800kbits.

Nobody will see these errors, of course. But on top of that I'm archiving all the vids to 1280*720p25 in 10Mbits (h264).

To be honest, it's not really much of a problem to me, as no one will ever notice. It just started to bug me, because I couldn't quite figure out what's the problem behind it. Maybe it's the camera itself and EVERY single one has the same problem?!?!?

Cheers, Stefan Sonnabend.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 4, 2009 at 4:22:19 pm

What is the true color of the smock this person has on?
I'm guessing it should be black.

Was there Tungsten lighting used?

What white balance was used in the PP?

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Nov 4, 2009 at 9:20:38 pm

I doubt the smock was black. It shows as maroon on my monitor. Haven't seen black as maroon with the far red issue.

Return to posts index

Jordan Dwyer
on Nov 5, 2009 at 11:14:59 am

I see you say that it was recorded in progressive mode, but are you editing in progressive mode or in interlased mode?

My Website: http://www.newagetv.co.za
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrNewAgeTv

3D Animation: Light Wave 3D
My Camera: Sony EX1
Web Design: Flash CS4
Editing: Liquid Edition

Return to posts index

Stefan Sonnabend
on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:23:23 am

Hey guys,

here's my PP-settings:

-------------------------------------------
Matrix: on
Select: hisat
Level: +25
Phase 0
R-G (and all the others, too) 0

Color Correction: off

White: off

Detail: on
(everthiny in "detail" is set to 0)

skintone: on
Level: 0
Area Indictation: off
sat: 0
phase: 130
width: 40

knee: disabled (???)

Gamma:
Level: 0
Select: CINE1

Black: 0

Black Gamma: -2

Low Key Sat: 0
---------------------------------------------

I have to admit, I'm not too much into that settings stuff :( When we got the camera I looked up some settings Philip Bloom suggested and defined them while checking out some other profiles I found on dvinfo.net until I found my settings suitable.

I shot the footage with 3300K, if I remember correctly. The lights we used were a couple of those Mettle Quarzlight 1000W with a softbox, which was similar to this one here: http://bilder.csn-24.biz/bild.php?ja=102870

The project I'm working in is a progressive one, of course.

------ HAHA ------

While I was writing this reply, I figured it was just Adobe Premiere, which shows the aliasing. I feel a bit embarassed now, I didn't think about that earlier :(

I'm gonna render some of that footage uncompressed in 1080p to find out if these issues are just visible inside of Premiere or afterwards in an external player as well.

Cheers, and thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Stefan Sonnabend
on Nov 13, 2009 at 10:42:45 am

Well,

I rendered it in both uncompressed .MOV and (close to) uncompressed (>30 MBits) .M2V to see if the problem remains. And it does, unfortunately.

I even imported some HDV footage (1440x1080i) shot with a crappy mini dv cam and got the same result: There are no jags on the skews in the raw footage when I watch it with both Quicktime and VLC, but as soon as I imported the file to Premiere there is this ugly aliasing.

At first I had the Premiere project preset for XDCAM but that doesn't really matter much, I guess. Because I tried it without any preset as well, and it gave me the same result.

Currently I'm running Premiere 4.1, but I'm gonna update it to 4.2 now, to see if that problem remains. Oh, I'm on Mac OSX 10.5.8.

EDIT: Same problem with 4.2

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Jan 31, 2010 at 7:45:07 pm

I don't have an answer for you, but I'm seeing aliasing on fine lines especially in high contrast areas with an EX1. Maybe lowering detail will improve things.

Bob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]