FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD Restore, all media now gone....panic at the disco!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Dunn
SD Restore, all media now gone....panic at the disco!
on Nov 3, 2009 at 2:44:52 am

I was shooting an event with two cameras (thank God). About half way through, the restore media came up. So I executed the restore. I noticed it took quite a long time compared to the other times I've done this.

Now I've transferred the media and I only have the media I recorded after the restore. It looks like it formated the SD card instead of just restoring the media.

Any tricks or suggestions to restore the other media that doesn't seem to be on the card anymore? It only shows 5 Gig used out of 32G card. That's not a good sign.

Transcend 32G SD Card in a Hoodman SxS adapter.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SD Restore, all media now gone....panic at the disco!
on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:00:39 am

Not a direct answer but recent Transcend cards are not to be trusted.
ATP ProMax has been reliable by everyone testing them.
http://www.media2u.co.uk/blog/?p=40

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:46:28 pm

"Not a direct answer but recent Transcend cards are not to be trusted."

How recent?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:51:19 pm

We don't know a hard cutoff date or serial number and stores turn over their stock at different rates.
It seems that it's not "black or white" either. It seems that the results vary from card to card.

If you have a card and do an end to end recording during a test and get a media error it's no good and shouldn't be put into service. Also filling up a card with shorter recordings and periodically deleting is a good test.

So far from what I've heard is that ATP ProMax cards have been rock solid (always pass the tests).
Interesting that MxM is recommending them while MxR is still touting Transcend.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:54:26 pm

Specific to Brent's problem. Even with the Media Restore error, I haven't heard a report that resulted in the previously recorded media disappearing.

One can attempt restoring the media (or at least the MP4s) using various tools or services which are hit or miss but that becomes less likely if data is recorded over them. It concerns me that the cards recorded new data and the old data isn't visible because the new records may have recorded over used parts of the card.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:15:08 pm

I am really puzzled by you guys. You spend thousands on a decent camera also probably on tripods, filters, mics etc etc and yet you take chances with dicey media cards. All the good kit and accumulated knowledge and skill used to shoot your footage goes for nothing if the media is lost. Sony had good reasons to supply their cards for use in these cameras, why not use them and feel 100% safe. OK, they cost more than the ones that might not work, you don't need many if files are easily down loaded using the Sony software. Please enlighten me.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:46:35 pm

Michael
I believe these cards are NOT for everyone, and anyone who chooses to use these cards must understand their limits. Plenty of discussion about the do's and don't have been written here and never has a restore ever damaged any files. I believe haste is to blame for this panic disaster and somewhere in the process the camera asked to reformat the card.

I have several SDHC Transcend 16 gig cards from the earliest days of this new discovery with these adapters and I know them extremely well. I did all the testing to feel completely comfortable with using them.

However as most of you know I believe in using the Convergent Design Nano Flash as my main encoding recorder that uses Compact Flash media cards. I record to both SDHC/MxR or SxS and the Nano for complete redundancy for all of my jobs now.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:02:01 pm

Given the price of SxS cards, the Nano Flash would make more sense as both a cost effective and better quality solution.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:07:38 pm

Ok, I'll take the spankin for using the cheap media. I'd rather get a solution to my immediate problem. Does anyone have a link to software for media recovery?

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:00:31 pm

My SDHC cards have been rock solid. I've been using them for 10 months and NEVER had a Media Restore.

The problem with SxS is that you may need enough for a long shoot and that can be very expensive especially if you need 2 or 4 32GB cards.
Transferring to laptop during a shoot can be even more risky than using SDHC in my opinion.
If a client wants to walk with the files IMMEDIATELY I can bill them for an SDHC cards whereas I'm in a very awkward situation with a potentially unhappy client with SxS.

There's GOOD reason why JVC uses SDHC (complete with overcrank support) and why certain Panasonic cameras have that option too.
Even Sony has finally acknowledged the need with the EX1R and the use of their Memory Sticks in addition to SxS. They also will be coming out with much lower priced SxS cards.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:11:58 pm

My shooting times are anywhere from 6-10 hours. 2 - 4 cameras. So, yes SxS Media cost becomes extremely prohibitive.

I would have to buy 2-3 32Gig cards for each camera. I currently have 4 32 Gig Transcend and 1 16 gig. Only the 1 8gig SxS that came with the camera.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2009 at 5:27:02 pm

http://aeroquartet.com/
While I haven't used their service, he visits the COW occasionally.
http://forums.creativecow.net/profile/124945
He has software tools but he also provides the service directly.

Move to ATP ProMax SDHC. I hear they are rock solid. Many people have tested them and no reports on any forums about Media Restore errors.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2009 at 6:14:43 pm

Looks like they've had experience with XDCAM EX too.
This is an old blog post from them which mentions formats he's worked with.
http://www.aeroquartet.com/wordpress/2008/08/08/movie-repair-service-year-t...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]