FORUMS: list search recent posts

Replacement component cable

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Childs
Replacement component cable
on Oct 25, 2009 at 12:07:05 am

Hello all -

This should not be NEARLY as difficult as it is but considering it's Sony, it's what I expect. The component video cable that came with my EX-3, component mini plug to a 3-way RCA component female plug set on the other end. Now I'm looking for a replacement component video cable that will allow me to send component video out of the EX-3 and into a component monitor. Anyone know where I can find one? I did find one component cable for sony that says it is compatible with Sony Handycams but knowing Sony I don't know if it is compatible across models.

Any leads are appreciated. Thanks.

Jay

JBC Communications
Portsmouth, NH
http://www.jbccom.com

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
Re: Replacement component cable
on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:32:06 am

I have not found a single cable option to do this. I have been using RCA to BNC adapters. It's a pretty ugly senario.

Bob

Return to posts index

Jay Childs
on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:45:31 am

even a component cable where the mini comes out of the camera and the end is 3 male RCAs for component video would be fine.

What about the Sony VMC-30VC component cable. Anyone had any luck using this with an EX-3 or EX-1?

I can't believe Sony makes it THIS difficult to EVEN identify a replacement part, never mind find it and order it. Jeeez.

Jay

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Oct 25, 2009 at 1:54:04 am

It's Sony, believe it. You are just the customer.

I had to find the same cable a few years back for my Z-1U and I ended up calling B&H and the person on the other end hooked me up in about 2 minutes. Order. Done.

At the time the Sony cable being offered was longer and built better than the one that ships with the camera. I then cut the ends off and used a decent quality Switchcraft set of RCA's that I soldered on.... much better (no intermittent connections). The outer shells of the stock connectors are thin round continuous barrels of metal that don't grab correctly (at all) and if you bend them for a good electrical contact they hold too tightly.

Return to posts index

Rick Diamond
on Oct 25, 2009 at 2:45:54 am

VMC-30VC is a good replacement component cable. I bought one from B&H. The reason was to troubleshoot my component output. On a shoot the cable got yanked out and the blue channel died. After troubleshooting, the cable worked just fine but the component output from the EX3 didn't. Hopefully you won't have the same problem.

rick

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Oct 25, 2009 at 8:29:40 pm

This is component video only:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/379768-REG/Sony_VMC30VC_VMC_30VC_Mini...

This is component with audio:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/540096-REG/Sony_VMC_30FC_Multi_A_V_to...

This is composite and S Video:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/379770-REG/Sony_VMC30FS_VMC_30FS_Mini...
This one gives S-Video out from EX1 which does not have an S-video out built in. Works on my EX1 and EX3.

Return to posts index

Jay Childs
on Oct 25, 2009 at 10:35:58 pm

Thanks a lot. I wasn't sure if these mini-component plugs were compatible with the EX-1, EX-3 given that Sony tends to make every connector specific for what seems like every model.

Thanks.

J

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:07:26 am

The component cables of my Ex1/3 and Z1U are interchangeable. So I assume if the connections are the same they work among different models. In my case these cables work on the JVC HM100 as well.
The replacement cables are sturdy and longer than the supplied ones.

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:18:54 pm

Great timing on this thread! I was looking for a longer version of the same cable for use on an EZFX jib and not having to much luck with my searches. Nice to know it does exist and where to get it.

Return to posts index

Marsnaut Javier
on Feb 13, 2010 at 4:06:48 pm

I read this thread and am very confused.
I bought a VMC 30FC cable but to my surprise it actually plugs into the AV port of the ex1 not the component (miniD) port. From what I understand you can only get SD from the AV port.

Am I a moron? Its clearly not the right connector on my cable and would not fit the MiniD connection on the camera. How is everybody getting this to work? Thus far I have not found a single reference anywhere on any site (including sony's) to "Mini-D" cables. Do they have another name?

:-(

How can it be so hard for Sony to identify a cable correctly?

Return to posts index

Bob Mark
on Feb 15, 2010 at 6:42:58 pm

I asked Sony Pro Parts about this. Here is the response:
"The supplied USB cable part number is 182854412"
I have no way of knowing if that is correct. They may think I'm talking about the standard usb transfer cable, although I said component video cable mini usb to RCA.

Look at this:
http://f1.creativecow.net/552/sony-parts'>552_sonyparts.jpg.zip

It shows a component cable as 182941422

Bob

Return to posts index

Brandon Edwards
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:51:20 pm

I need to purchase a few of these cables. I followed the link you posted to the first one that does not include audio and it was discontinued.

Have you purchased or seen a replacement?

this was the link

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/379768-REG/Sony_VMC30VC_VMC_30VC_Mini...

thanks for any help you can give me on this. I'm trying to use the EX1 for live output but since it's not gen lockable I need to go component out. the live shoot is next week. I've loved it for regular video shooting so far.

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Dec 15, 2010 at 3:59:38 pm

The cable in the second link is still available. May be you should get it before that discontinues too.

Return to posts index

Brandon Edwards
on Dec 15, 2010 at 5:23:16 pm

yep, already ordered three. thanks for the response. btw, I this time last year I went on a photo safari in south africa. had a great time. I loved visiting. Hope to go back some day.

Return to posts index

Jeff Landie
on Jan 18, 2010 at 11:32:36 pm

How much did it cost to fix your connector, and how involved was the process?
This same thing happened on one of our shoots recently. I was moving the tripod a with a Sony EX3 on it and the HD LCD monitor, which was attached to a light stand that had not been sandbagged fell over. The monitor still works just fine, the casing was slightly cracked probably due to the addl weight from the brick battery on the back. However, the fall damaged the component connector on the camera by giving it a hard tug. Nothing else was damaged on the camera. This was a rental camera, so they're figuring out the cost to fix it. I was still able to use the USB connector located about 1/4" to the right of the damaged component connector to download the card contents. Lessons learned: a 5' cable is too short when going between expensive equipment, and make sure you sandbag your monitor! I'm currently ordering a 9' cable to help ensure this doesn't happen again!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]