FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 life-expectancy?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kent Beeson
EX1 life-expectancy?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 8:05:52 pm

Hello

What's the expected life of an EX1? 2000 hours, 3000hrs on the meter, what?

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: EX1 life-expectancy?
on Oct 23, 2009 at 3:28:26 am

Who knows- I bet you'll get a lot more than that time if you treat it well though. Certainly more than long enough to pay itself off on most any sort of gig.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 23, 2009 at 7:20:37 pm

THIS IS ONLY SPECULATION ON MY PART.

I would not be surprised if you can get 10,000 hrs out of the EX cams. If it is handled gently.

The parts that were the weakest links in the tape days was the heads and the load/transport tape mechanisms.

I also had a few problems with CCD dead pixels that needed repair.

It is wonderful to be away from tape, at least in the production part of the business, I still deliver on Beta SP a lot.

I think you are more likely to physically break the camera than to have anything wear out. Things like the wimpy baseplate and mic holder. I can also foresee problems with the EX3 viewfinder and the SxS door. Possible the battery port, and some of the rather cheap switches. Under "rough handling" in the production environment.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Kent Beeson
on Oct 23, 2009 at 10:09:24 pm

Helpful thoughts - was just wondering as I may buy the new EX1R when it comes out and wanted to know life expectancy on these non-tape cams.

Thanks

K
web.me.com/kbcv

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 26, 2009 at 7:34:07 pm

That explains why I haven't been able to find any capstans or pinch rollers to clean.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 26, 2009 at 8:00:41 pm

I notice that no where in the Sony manuals does it recommend against putting crackers in the camera's SxS slot so can I assume this is safe to do?

I guess one must avoid spiders, roaches or other crawly things from going in there to nest among the card contacts.

Return to posts index

Bob Cole
on Oct 26, 2009 at 9:53:20 pm

[Clint Fleckenstein] "That explains why I haven't been able to find any capstans or pinch rollers to clean."

I finally got a tape into an EX3 but it was a tight squeeze.

Bob C

Return to posts index

Nick Lammers
on Oct 27, 2009 at 4:28:57 pm

I find that a little butter really helps the tape slide in.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:04:33 pm

While there may not be any moving parts in the camera, we have noticed that the plastic parts seem to be the weakest link. We've had a couple of breaks around the handle, the eyepiece and the right side cover. We run 3 camera's in our shop and they go out a lot.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 27, 2009 at 11:17:44 pm

I'm hearing some reports of motherboard failures out of warranty costing $2000 to replace. That concerns me. That shouldn't be happening with 2 years of use under "normal" conditions.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 30, 2009 at 8:11:35 pm

Wow, that'll make my extended warranty purchase seem pretty smart if we ever need it.

Cf

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 30, 2009 at 10:23:26 am

Whilst we're talking about the EX1 I have to report that finally I have a viewfinder that I can actually focus with. The Hoodman Corporation's specially made up finder to fit on the EX 1's screen gives a finder as good (or even better) than the one on the screen of the EX3. No doubt many of you know this but without this kit I have been having a difficult time in bright daylight. There is also a very good diopter adjustment to give pinpoint accuracy.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]