FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 Camera Zoom used in tandem w/ 35mm Adapter?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Emile Wamsteker
EX-1 Camera Zoom used in tandem w/ 35mm Adapter?
on Oct 21, 2009 at 10:26:23 pm

When I mount my 35mm adapter to the front element of my EX-1 lens, I need to calibrate focus first, and then adjust the CAMERA's zoom so that the image fills the frame. If I don't adjust the Camera's zoom, I run the risk of vignetting.

My question is, once I've found the sweet spot and mark the zoom barrel, can I zoom in further if I wish--in effect using the camera's zoom as a tele-extender--and if so, to what extent. Will I have image degradation if I do? Or should I just leave it on the sweet spot, and treat it as a fixed focal length lens.

For example, when I have a 50mm prime mounted on the adapter, the EX-1's zoom is set to about 40mm to fill the frame. If the zoom is set wider, I get vignetting. Zoom tighter--to say 80m--and I am in effect changing the mounted lens' focal length, making it longer. I wonder if there is perceptible image degradation.

I am new to video, so judging whether or not there is degradation, is not easy for my eye to see but I wonder what others think and have observed.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers,

-Emile

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
Re: EX-1 Camera Zoom used in tandem w/ 35mm Adapter?
on Oct 22, 2009 at 11:16:20 am

Yes. I do it all the time with my Letus, and have never noticed any degradation. Sometimes shooting interviews I need just a bit of flexibility with zooming (with a prime mounted). I wouldn't push it too much, though. Phillip Bloom has written about this and does it himself.
Bob

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 22, 2009 at 3:12:45 pm

Yes Bob is right, you can't push into the end, or at least I can't using the Red Rock Encore. The focus on the stock lens needs adjustment and I tape off the focus ring on the stock lens once I find the sweet spot.
I can count on Z73 to keep all of my Nikon lenses from vignetting and a few I can widen out a little more.

One thing to keep in mind is that a 28mm has a definitive look and feel and by zooming in on the stock lens it doesn't change and make it feel like a 35mm, it basically crops the field of view. I prefer to lock the stock lens at Z73 and change lenses to find the right composition.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Emile Wamsteker
on Oct 28, 2009 at 1:22:24 pm

Thanks Bob, and Michael,

This confirms what I thought, but needed reassurance from seasoned pros like you.

I've since run tests, and to my untrained video eye, I see no loss in quality when zooming into the subject using the EX-1 onboard zoom.

Thanks again for your comments.

Cheers,

-Emile

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]