FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 QT files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Ball
EX1 QT files
on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:42:13 pm

I'm giving a client all of their raw footage shot on an EX1 camera. All I have are the QuickTime files.
They are giving those to another production company for editing. For me, I just import the QT files in FCP and it works fine. I'm just trying to head off any problems with the next production company not being able to work with the files.

Is there anything I should tell them if they use another editing platform besides FCP?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: EX1 QT files
on Oct 20, 2009 at 9:52:51 pm

What exactly do you call the raw footage? What did you actually give them?

The Sony Raw files are contained inside each cards BPAV folder, and you need to copy this BPAV folder into a parent folder (Acam Card #1) and that is what you can call the raw. If you used the XD Transfer program and re-wrapped the files as Quicktime and thats what you gave them then they didn't get the raw from you.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:37:59 am

Michael,

Thanks for your observation, but what I really need is advice

My shooter gives me the re-wrapped the files as Quicktimes. So again I'm just trying to head off any problems with the next production company not being able to work with the files.

Is there anything I should tell them if they use another editing platform besides FCP?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:47:08 am

Hi Greg,
If the next company uses PC, they will need the files re-wrapped as MFX files instead of QT.
The QT files can be played in PC, but you need some extra software (Callibrated, Main Concept,..)
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:53:30 am

Of course there are NLEs that do better with the MP4 such as Premiere Pro.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:05:29 am

[Craig Seeman] "Of course there are NLEs that do better with the MP4 such as Premiere Pro.
"

Hi Craig,
Can PP work directly with the MP4?
That would be great for me.
I have to shot 4 days for some people that works with PP.
rafael

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:11:51 am

PP CS4 can handle the MP4.
So can FCP with the Calibrated Software MP4 plugin.

Doing this makes it easy to skip MOV altogether. FCP can also export back to EX MP4 rather than MOV.

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:48:13 am

Thanks Rafael,

Like I said I don't have any files besides the quicktime files. So would I just let these folks know they may need to get calibrated software?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2009 at 4:36:46 am

Apart of the solutions pointed by Craig, you have this little free application to convert the QT files to MFX:

http://www.convergent-design.com/Updates_nanoFlash.htm

Download the File Converter.
This just re-wrap the QT as MFX.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 21, 2009 at 6:57:25 am

Greg always get the original raw files as I pointed out earlier. Never accept just rewrapped files that your shooter gives you. The originals allow you to edit in any workflow.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Andrew McKee
on Oct 21, 2009 at 9:23:26 am

Yep, as stated, your camerman really shouldnt be giving you rewrapped footage. Having the original BPAV architecture will let you take it into editing software easier. If they are using Avid its just case of mounting the volume and the clips pop up, no rewrapping required and its sounds like similar options are available with FCP and PP so why rewrap and limit yourself?

Andy

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:44:24 pm

Guys, you bring up good points. I'll do that in the future.

But I never turn over my editing to another party. I always edit in FCP. In this case I'm refusing to edit for this client any longer, and I've offered them the footage to take elsewhere.

So again I can give them this free converter ling to convert quicktime to MXF?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2009 at 1:09:23 pm

[Greg Ball] "So again I can give them this free converter ling to convert quicktime to MXF?
"

It works great, but I think that only in Mac.
If they don't have a Mac, you will have to export the MFX for them.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:29:21 pm

If this works well on a mac, why not just give them the Quicktime files the way they are.? All I do is take the shooter's files and import them into FCP and it work perfectly.

I don't understand why I should bother to drag each of about 400 clips to a timeline to export them as Michael suggests

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:34:46 pm

If they have FCP 6.0.2 or newer they should have no problem. If you were the person who disregarded the original files and they need them back them you should return the footage back to original.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Greg Ball
on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:18:11 pm

I don't know what they have. I fired my client, and in the firing I told them I'd give them the footage to take elsewhere. They're not paying me for this and I'm not giving any more time to convert files. I'm told that anyone can download the ex1 codec and use it. Isn't this true?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2009 at 5:37:43 pm

[Greg Ball] "I fired my client, and in the firing I told them I'd give them the footage to take elsewhere."
In that case hand them the MOV files and move on (or away). If they can't figure out what to do maybe they'll realize what you're worth in 20/20 hindsight.

[Greg Ball] "I'm told that anyone can download the ex1 codec and use it. Isn't this true?
"

No. ClipBrowser (cross platform) and XDCAM Transfer (Mac Only) are free but the codec is generally part of the NLE. ClipBrowser can re-wrap the MP4 to MXF or MOV or leave as MP4 as needed. That's why MP4 is the camera master. MXF or MOV may require third party plugins, not from Sony and not free.

If they are tech savvy (or get such consultant) they may claim you didn't give them the camera masters and you'd be in for a fight. They could even "win" since handing them MOV may be evidence that your workflow is flawed (not saving the camera masters) even if the MOV are lossless derivatives.

In ALL CASES, the BPAVs are masters and they should be archived because the unforeseen happens.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:33:04 pm

It may even depend on why you and the client are parting ways. If they are interrupting your standard workflow one could argue that they get stuck with the files as you get them since you began following your standard workflow. I would not use the workflow you use though.

Natively those mov files will only work in FCP 6.0.2 and up and they are being hit with an awkward workflow (possibly with costs involved) to use files in another NLE.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 21, 2009 at 2:05:31 pm

OK drag each clip onto the time line separately and export them on by one as Sony XD Cam. You first need to set the Sequence Audio tape to dual mono and you can put everything back as original. Craig Seeman has a nice little tutorial here somewhere showing each step.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:25:01 pm

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 21, 2009 at 3:36:45 pm

I think that the best way may be the Convergent-design converter.
Your customers will get the original individual clips just as MFX.
I have tried with the EX-1 and NANO (422) files.
You can batch re-wrap.
Rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]