FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lettering wearing off

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
Lettering wearing off
on Oct 18, 2009 at 2:02:39 pm

I know the lettering wearing off of the EX1 is well known. IF you are out of warranty are you out of luck on free panel replacement?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Lettering wearing off
on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:08:50 pm

Are you serious? Does this affect in any way the operation of the camera? Then why 'fix' it. If you really want people to see the impressive labeling, reprint on a clear piece of inkjet label and stick it on. Done...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2009 at 5:54:01 pm

For some the lettering on the camera can be as important as the colored key caps one buys for Final Cut Pro (or any other NLE). Depending on which letters are going I can easily getting confused over Channel 1 and Channel 2 audio for example.

Since this is a known issue (acknowledged by Sony) the offer for free repair for that specific issue MIGHT be extended beyond warranty period just as the battery drain issue might be. Either of these might not be discovered until after the warranty period depending on one's work habit.

In my case, my work habits did not expose either for the most part. I had one incident where I did leave the battery on on a shoot day that required several locations and noticed the drain but that was not common. I did not experience the letters wearing. Since they were known issues I had both dealt with when I sent in my camera for the firmware upgrade.

I'd suggest you call Sony and strongly state your case. You may find they'll take care of it. The easiest solution would have been to have it taken care of at the time of firmware upgrade. I'm not sure if the later EX1s that shipped with firmware 1.11 exhibit the issue so I'm assuming you did have your firmware upgrade done.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Oct 19, 2009 at 9:55:00 pm

[Noah Kadner] "Are you serious? Does this affect in any way the operation of the camera?"

Lettering that identifies controls is helpful. i have a feeling he's not referring to the logo.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]