FORUMS: list search recent posts

Something BIG is Coming from Sony 10.20.09

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nigel Ellis
Something BIG is Coming from Sony 10.20.09
on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:34:59 pm

Anyone have any ideas as what the something big is?? Got an email today with the following link from Sony.

http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/?XID=E:xdcamextease_preeblas...

Nigel Ellis

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Something BIG is Coming from Sony 10.20.09
on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:49:19 pm

Gee, I hope it's Snow Leopard compatibility.

If it's big and doesn't work with a Mac I can buy today that's not too big.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:18:50 pm

Odd thing is they didn't have announcement at IBC.

Lots of people who already have EX cameras are getting the emails (but not me). It would be interesting to market a new camera primarily to people who already have one unless they think it's a compelling trade up. Did Sony market the PDW-F800 to those who bought the F700?

I don't know what pattern Sony has for big releases but Apple always does theirs on Tuesdays and October 20th is a Tuesday.

Hmm, it's a 64GB SDHC card compatible with EX and can be read by MacBookPros with the SD card slot.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Oct 16, 2009 at 10:53:47 pm

Very likely a "mid market" XDCAM kinda like the Panny HPX500 series.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 16, 2009 at 11:04:44 pm

But didn't even have a non working model at IBC?
It's plausible and maybe their marketing strategy has moved to one more like Apple's (It's ready when it's ready and not tied to trade shows).

Given that I hear from some people that they're choosing the EX3 over the F355, Sony may well have decided to get an EX out the door ASAP something more F355ish in build. I'd think it would be have to be more than just a shoulder mount version with a few mods though.

Return to posts index

Nigel Ellis
on Oct 16, 2009 at 11:11:46 pm

I'm hoping it will be a shoulder mounted camera with 1/2 chips and recording at 4:2:2 and will be under $10k. Or a s35mm sensor size single chip camera under $3k that doesn't look like a DSLR!
Can't hurt to hope!
Nigel

Nigel Ellis

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Oct 16, 2009 at 11:16:55 pm

You can count on a few things...

It is a camera.

It is better than the EX-3.

It will cost $4K more, but add features that you posted on a forum months ago.

You will wish you waited for it.

Your clients will start asking for it in 3 months.

The EX-3 will ultimately be as good. Your clients will hire you for your boundless energy and skill, not your camera.

George

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Oct 16, 2009 at 11:39:14 pm

Nigel, can get a hit of whatever your smokin'?

;o)

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 16, 2009 at 11:43:27 pm

If it's not FF35 sensor with a 35mm lens mount they have no business calling it BIG in all capital letters in light of the recent DSLR cameras from Canon and Panasonic...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Dave Burckhard
on Oct 29, 2009 at 3:01:50 pm

There is huge potential for Sony to get a full frame (35mm) sensor in a real video camera at a price under $10. I don't think it's the sensor thing that is keeping Sony and others from doing so. The $10,000 barrier will be hard to move under because of the lens that will be required. The lens will be required to create an image circle four times larger than if it had a 1/2" sensor. This mean BIG glass. This means expensive glass.

What Sony could do is create a body only and allow users to mount Sony dSLR full-frame lenses. Again, you're back at using rails and follow focus rigs and not have full lens/body electronic or mechanical integration but Sony might incorporate that into the design.

Sony could be very cool by licensing various camera mounts so users could leverage their investment in legacy SLR lenses from Nikon, Canon and others. Now THAT would be cool.

The obvious contender in a move in this direction would be Canon. Canon has yet to move into solid state media in the sub-$10,000 offerings. Yet, it's still recognized for other achievements in being an innovator in letting users access its SLR lenses. Canon already knows its way around full HD, 35mm sensors and it's just a matter of connecting the dots. I actually have more faith in Canon surprising us no later than NAB 2010 with something in this realm.

Dave

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 17, 2009 at 1:01:41 am

The HPX-500 was a 2/3 SD CCD interpolated into 720, I don't think this type of marketing is going to ever work again.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Nick Righton
on Oct 17, 2009 at 1:40:36 am

I could only wish it would be the ability to write editied footage with file sizes larger than 4 GB back onto a SXS card.

I wish I was good at one thing rather than average at many, but oh well.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Oct 21, 2009 at 12:27:28 am

PMW350 looks sweet, a perfect complement to our EX-3 and EX-1.

Return to posts index

Enrique Orozco
on Oct 17, 2009 at 1:38:52 am

"If it's big and doesn't work with a Mac I can buy today that's not too big."

Craig:
...I donĀ“t to start the old debate, but if it's big and KEEPS working with my PCs workstations, is big enough for me.....

good luck

Enrique Orozco R.
http://www.dvideostudio.com >iDEA DigitalVideoStudio

Return to posts index

Jordan Dwyer
on Oct 17, 2009 at 11:56:37 am

It would be cool if it was a software update for the ex1 and 3 that gave the camera the ability to copy straight to an external hard drive in the field.

My Website: http://www.newagetv.co.za
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrNewAgeTv

3D Animation: Light Wave 3D
My Camera: Sony EX1
Web Design: Flash CS4
Editing: Liquid Edition

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Oct 17, 2009 at 7:13:48 pm

I just hope it's not something that neuters or duplicates the 800 we have. Oh, wait, we're still waiting on that being delivered. I'd just like Sony to be able to DELIVER their products to more than just the networks and their major dealers.

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Oct 17, 2009 at 9:21:04 pm

Where are all the industrial espionage experts? A company this big and no leaks! Maybe it isn't a big deal....

Return to posts index

Tom Daigon
on Oct 17, 2009 at 9:21:53 pm

How about a full sensor to give the Canon 5DM2 some competition?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Oct 17, 2009 at 9:31:12 pm

Why do people rate the 5D so much? Sure it's a full frame sensor but that doesn't matter as the codec doesn't bear close examination, the skew is terrible and the ergonomics of working with a DSLR is appalling. OK it's easier to get a "film look" but any professional can get the same out of an EX3

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Matt Sturns
on Oct 17, 2009 at 10:07:46 pm

a little birdy told me, 3 words (and a hyphen):

Blu-Ray on Macs

Return to posts index

john sharaf
on Oct 17, 2009 at 11:19:52 pm

Sources tell me it's the EX-4, that much is certain. My guess as to the rest is that it will be a shoulder mounted version of the EX3. We'll see for sure next week.

JS

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 18, 2009 at 12:01:03 am

So BIG as in size, rather than specs? That's sort of weak but I'll wait and see...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 18, 2009 at 1:57:49 am

No room for something big here.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 18, 2009 at 2:43:49 am

[Rafael Amador] "No room for something big here.
rafael"

I dunno- a big paycheck or a nice Double Double at In N Out (that's a big hamburger) is always welcome... :)

Noah

Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2009 at 2:51:25 am

But the Sony burger will require that you use their proprietary grill while we are left to experiment with an adaptor to use standard grills.

The burger will use a very efficient form of compression though but some will question the build quality on the bun.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Oct 18, 2009 at 3:09:28 am

Wouldn't it be nice if they announced a remote CCU for the EX line of camera's that connect to the USB port via a wireless network. I know it is possible thru the 'secret' USB port on the EX 1 cos i've seen them do it!

Just think... I could go and do multi camera events and match them on the fly... oh...ummmm.... then they would lose a lot of their hi-end market.... hmmmm....

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:07:11 pm

[Craig Seeman] "But the Sony burger will require that you use their proprietary grill while we are left to experiment with an adaptor to use standard grills.

The burger will use a very efficient form of compression though but some will question the build quality on the bun."

ROFL.

Noah

Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Bala Chandran
on Oct 18, 2009 at 4:01:00 am

You mean the EX-5. The Japanese usually don't name anything 4.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 19, 2009 at 1:38:14 pm

Actually they're announcing that I'm turning 40. No word yet on whether I'll get any free swag out of the deal.

Return to posts index

Ben Perez
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:15:59 pm

Could it be this?
http://www.hdwarrior.co.uk/

Philip Bloom has some opinions as well..
http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/10/18/sony-ex1r-and-something-else-coming-on-...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 19, 2009 at 6:36:32 pm

It's already the 20th in Australia and New Zealand. Shouldn't we be hearing from them in just a few hours? I guess it doesn't work that way.

Return to posts index

Baz Leffler
on Oct 19, 2009 at 10:57:37 pm

Well Craig - I am in Australia and when we see a date 10.20.2009 that to us is US time as we have the day BEFORE the month so down under won't find out until 21.10.2009

Baz

What would I do without the 'UNDO' button!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]