FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing single clip to FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jimmy Garland
Importing single clip to FCP
on Oct 16, 2009 at 5:49:37 pm

I transfered all my clips from a shoot onto a drive, no problem. I later shot one more clip without cleaning SxS card. So I dragged and dropped the new (single) clip folder into existing larger folder on ext drive. Now I can see clip in browser but not in XDCAM transfer and can't get it into FCP. Name of clip & folder (In CLPR folder) is not same as older clips. Any thoughts?
Also, can you recommend a site that explains process; i.e. what exactly BPAV and CLPR are and do?

Thank to all.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Importing single clip to FCP
on Oct 16, 2009 at 6:52:44 pm

Sigh!
My broken record skips again. You just mucked with the metadata which now doesn't match since it doesn't have any knowledge of the clip.

ClipBrowser allows you to copy a single clip. Select the clip, copy. It'll drop it wherever you'd pointed to in its preferences. It's that easy.

This should be a LAW. Only copy with ClipBrowser! EVER (unless you use ShotPut).
NO EXCEPTIONS!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:05:33 pm

332_clipbrowserv25opmanual.pdf.zip

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 16, 2009 at 7:46:10 pm

Echo here. Those files are all invisible to you if you use the Clip Browser, and simply copy and/or drag & drop clips. It takes care of all the metadata housework for you and allows you to combine or split folders, move or copy folders, even make new clips. If you decide not to do things the easy way, then you're likely to end up "breaking" the structure of the BPAV folder that the free software relies on.

It don't [sic] get any easier than using the Clip Browser; it takes just as much work (if not more) to try to "shortcut" your way around it in the OS.

It's kinda like joining a handyman forum and saying "I tried to loosen/tighten an allen head screw using a torx bit that fit, now I stripped out the head. Any suggestions?" Then you'd get a bunch of indignant replies saying something along the lines of "get an allen wrench next time." :) The Clip Browser is the right tool for the job.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 16, 2009 at 8:50:19 pm

Clint that actually sounds like an issue with a 2" quad head tape machine. You need the allen wrench to align the heads. There was always somebody who couldn't find the allen wrench and would try to stick a flathead screwdriver in hoping it would work.

[Clint Fleckenstein] "It's kinda like joining a handyman forum and saying "I tried to loosen/tighten an allen head screw using a torx bit that fit, now I stripped out the head. Any suggestions?" Then you'd get a bunch of indignant replies saying something along the lines of "get an allen wrench next time." :) The Clip Browser is the right tool for the job.
"

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 16, 2009 at 9:25:07 pm

When I started in "the biz" as a punk kid, I worked with a 2" TCR-100 cart machine and a pair of Ampex ACRs, but never quad decks...we'd upgraded to 1" C decks by then. I pulled my share of boneheaded stunts on that old gear over the years, too!

Cf

Return to posts index

William Campbell
on Oct 17, 2009 at 2:29:41 pm

Here is my process. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

1-XDCAM EX- Use EX Clip Browser and only EX Clip browser to transfer file from SxS card on MacBook Pro to G-mini in the field BPAV files go into ID folders usually one folder for every two SXS cards. Files from G-mini transfered to edit bay drives. All native EX files backed up to a drive that will be used for archive. Transfer/wrap for FCP is via XDCAM Transfer though FCP import.

2-XDCAM 422-XDCAM Transfer to name disk and log clips. Then write protect disk and transfer/wrap files via FCP import XDCAM Transfer.

NEVER DRAG DROP FILES

I'm I OK with this workflow?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 17, 2009 at 4:51:06 pm

[William Campbell] "BPAV files go into ID folders usually one folder for every two SXS cards. "
Everything looks OK but the above. You might need to explain this more. You can't put two BPAV folders (two cards) into one folder or one BPAV will overwrite the other. You can combine BPAV thought with ClipBrowser so maybe that's what you mean.

[William Campbell] "All native EX files backed up to a drive that will be used for archive."
Short term maybe OK but I wouldn't trust hard drive longer term. They can go bad even sitting on the shelf. Some might use Optical Disc, others LTO, some might use some from redundancy through multiple drives, RAID, etc. If you're using XDCAM disc (as you might from above description) you can back up to such disc in data mode for EX.

[William Campbell] "2-XDCAM 422-XDCAM Transfer to name disk and log clips."
You may consider backing up EX to XDCAM disc data mode as mentioned above.

[William Campbell] "NEVER DRAG DROP FILES "
You get extra credit points for saying this. ;-)

Return to posts index

William Campbell
on Oct 17, 2009 at 6:30:48 pm

Folders- Sorry. I meant one SxS card to a folder. As with tape I give the project a name. ex: Rwanda. First full SxS card going into folder RW01. One BPAV per folder. I'll set prefix for clip naming to RWD_ and let the clip names play out for the whole take. I've heard you can rename the BPAV to BPAV_RW01 but I'd rather not mess with them.

Archive- 50 gig XDCAM discs should be the answer but for now it's a HD. Blu-Ray is being considered.

Final project layoff is usually to HDCAM SR.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]