FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 Discontinued !!!!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Lord
EX1 Discontinued !!!!
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:28:21 am

It's official. The SONY EX1 has been discontinued by B&H. I heard this was going to happen but didn't believe it until I saw it with my own eyes on B&H's site not 10 minutes ago.

Now what?

Randy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX1 Discontinued !!!!
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:54:11 am

Buy the EX2 which will have record cache, record to SDHC with overcranking. Face ridicule from your peers and clients for using "old" gear. Sell and take a big loss since no one wants to buy a camera that forces the owner to buy expensive SxS cards. Since EX2 may be EX5 at next NAB, Sony will drop price on EX3 $2500 right now. This is the story of recent camera technology. All the above accounts are fictional but I have a good crystal ball.

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:54:14 am

Why are they discontinuing it?

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:57:34 pm

[Greg Ondera] "Why are they discontinuing it? "
Economics of course. It's always economics. It's just a matter of finding out how they're repositioning things in that part of the product line. Price drop? New model? Thinning the product line? Introducing improved technology? It could be any combination of the above.

Return to posts index

Tony Natera
on Oct 13, 2009 at 6:42:44 am

This is a very suspiciously premature discontinuation. Sony has in the past PREMATURELY discontinued extremely memorable products because they undercut Sony's own higher products (HDR-HC1).

The EX1 is a nearly perfect professional P2 mid-size camera too cheap for the market, too close to the recently released Z7 and Z5 and too close to its bigger more expensive brother the EX3 to be of any use for the company specially in these tighter budget times. The EXs are also undercutting Sony's XDCam line severely in a time when news operation budgets are being reduced nationwide and low budget freelancers are replacing company staff in roves.

If I had an EX1 I would not sell it for the world unless I truly needed another capability. There is nothing wrong with a "discontinued" product that is functionally a top of the line product.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:28:07 pm

So much to speculate on.

I thought that they'd be coming out with a full shoulder mount version that might replace the F355, maybe even dual record SxS and XDCAM disc.

I also thought they'd want a "baby" EX1 but it seems the JVC-HM100 is that (and Sony and JVC are "partners" of sorts).

Could be Sony is simplifying the line? EX3 will be the bottom for the moment? I don't think so. Especially in this economy but maybe Sony will drop the EX3 in price.

The odd thing is seeing this BEFORE any announcement which I think would have happened at IBC if new model was imminent. Announcing new camera first though can cut into current sales, something Sony can't afford to do at the moment.

It may be that EX1 production has stopped or will be refreshed with a 1a or EX3 drops in price to take the bottom and a new EX5 will happen at NAB with shoulder mount and some new features moving into F355 territory.

Return to posts index

Chris Cardno
on Oct 13, 2009 at 4:10:43 pm

I saw a PDF document recently online that was for an EX1-R -- the document had to do with clearing electronic specs for code, don't remember if it had any actual camera specs in it.

Chris Cardno
Visual Edge Productions
Bethesda, MD

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2009 at 5:01:55 pm

A MAJOR thank you for notifying us Henry. Two thumbs up for posting here directly!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]