FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-wrapping MOV to MXF?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
adam goral
Re-wrapping MOV to MXF?
on Oct 12, 2009 at 8:59:30 pm

I made the dreadful mistake of using XDcam Transfer to backup my SxS card instead of backing up the BPAV folder directly. So now that I've reformatted my camera master, my editors (who have been doing 99% of the backups till yesterday) tell me they need MXF files to work in AVID.

Is there any way for me to re-wrap the MOV files into MXF for AVID? XDCam Clip Browser doesn't recognize any of the MOV files on my backup drive and XDCam Transfer seems useless without the original BPAV folders on the SxS card...

Or, can I use a program like MPEG Streamclip to convert the MOV to DNxHD directly?

Can anyone suggests a solution to my problem?

-=adam=-

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Re-wrapping MOV to MXF?
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:26:14 pm

The only thing I can think of is to open the MOV in Final Cut Pro and then export back out to MP4, create new BPAV by File/Import into ClipBrowser.

Make sure you use the MP option not the MXF because that's XDCAM HD, not EX (unless you don't might a possible quality hit.
Maybe there's another way but I can't think of it offhand.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 12, 2009 at 10:29:19 pm

I wondering if Calibrated Software EX MOV component might allow the Avid to read the MOV files. For $80 (I believe) it could save you a lot of work.

For those how can't understand why backing up the BPAV is important. This is a good example. The MOV is not easy to use on non FCP systems. You should use ClipBrowser to back up the BPAV. It'll even fit them into DVD, DL-DVD, Blu-ray sizes by splitting or combining folders.

Hopefully the above suggestions will work for you.

Return to posts index

Jason Johnson
on Jul 23, 2010 at 6:06:06 pm

Hey Craig, It seems I have done the same thing as in this post and was wondering if you could explain the re-wrapping process after I have used fcp to export to the original Mpeg 4 format.. Is there a loss of generation doing it this way? I don't quite understand what to do once I convert the file in fcp.. I see in the post that the next process is with the clip browser software.. but I don't quite understand what i need to do?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:00:25 pm

Did you follow these instructions?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:05:46 pm

If so, all you are doing is changing the wrapper. The only loss would be if you actually did any compositing and transitions, etc. which always involves a bit of encoding/rendering.

In ClipBrowser 2.6 use the File/Import function to import the .mp4.
ClipBrowser will create a new BPAV.
Save that BPAV as your Master.
You should be able to Select the Clip and use Flie/Export/MXF for NLEs...
You're just changing the wrapper
EXDCAM EX .MP4 .MOV .MXF are all the same "essence" with different wrapper and metadata handling.

Return to posts index

Jason Johnson
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:12:29 pm

Yes I did everything in the video procedure..I think I figured out what to do in the clip browser too but it seem this will be very time consuming..And when it is converted back to the bpav folder is it the same quality as the original? or is there loss?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:37:43 pm

[Jason Johnson] ".I think I figured out what to do in the clip browser too but it seem this will be very time consuming."
Why time consuming? I take it you have lots of clips to do. I haven't tried this with a bunch of clips.
I wonder if you can import a bunch of clips and do a "select all"

[Jason Johnson] "nd when it is converted back to the bpav folder is it the same quality as the original? or is there loss?"
As state above. It's just a wrapper change and reconfig of the metadata. The "essence" remains the same.

Return to posts index

Jason Johnson
on Jul 23, 2010 at 7:57:52 pm

So it is essentially the same data as was on the card? I don't think it works as select all.. I called sony and was told to take multiple clips in a timeline then export but i think that will make one big clip and then i have concern about the timecode on the clips..

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 23, 2010 at 8:46:36 pm

Yes if you put it all on one timeline you'd get one long clip. Sony really designed this for a one clip at a time workflow. It would be good if they had a batch method.

Return to posts index

John O'Rourke
on May 24, 2013 at 7:25:19 pm

Great instructions! It doesn't get anymore simple than that thanks so much. You Can also use this script my friend came up with in Apple Script Editor.

Copy and paste the following, but make sure you initially export your movies from a dual mono sequence

set the_movies to choose file with prompt "Choose your QuickTime files" with multiple selections allowed
set the_location to choose folder with prompt "Choose your export destination"
tell application "XDCAM Transfer" to export the_movies to the_location as MXF

John O'rourke

Return to posts index

adam goral
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:31:26 am

Thanks Craig,

What I have do so far, which seems to be working well, is I installed Avid's codecs on my Macbook Pro and used MPEG Streamclip to transcode straight to QT wrapped DNxHD. I then imported the clips into our Avid project and they seems to be working fine. I do not detected a noticeable loss in quality, but the image is definitely brighter. A simple contrast adjustment proved that I could pull it back down to match the original file with minimal effort, but even still I wondered why this happens? A friend said that Avid likes to "brighten things up a bit", but that's not much help...

Any thoughts?

-=adam=-

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:20:17 am

Always test going out to a broadcast monitor. Don't trust computer gamma for accurate levels. Don't trust computer scaled video in an NLE for true resolution.

Return to posts index

adam goral
Re-wrapping MOV to MXF?
on Oct 18, 2009 at 9:04:49 pm

I have a few more questions for you folks if you'll be so kind as to entertain me...

After noticing that the contrast much significantly lowered when using MPEG Streamclip to transcode from XDCam EX to DNxHD rec709, I looked at both under a waveform monitor. The black levels on the original XDCam EX clip are right around zero, but one the DNxHD clip they are raised to around 13 or so.

I tried transcoded the original again but using DNxHD and RGB colorspace and the result was much closer to the original under the waveform, but the blacks were a bit darker and generally a bit more contrasty. I also tried keeping the 709 colorspace but increasing the contrast from within MPEG streamclip to about %117 and it matches the originals waveform almost exactly, but there is an unacceptable amount of noise introduced.

I really want to provide my editors with the best quality material possible and while I am sure we could grade the DNxHD 709 footage with raised blacks back to normal, I do not want to have to spent my precious color grading time on that when there are more important scenes to deal with.

So here is the breakdown of what I've notice:

Original XDCam EX: blacks 0 IRE
DNxHD rec709: blacks %13 IRE
DNxHD rec709: blacks %0 IRE with %117 contrast adjustment during transcode
DNxHD RGB: blacks %-2 IRE

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2009 at 10:39:33 pm

Rafael pointed you to the answer already. Rewrap MOV to MXF.
What part of that isn't making sense? Please explain.
Rewrap, do not encode.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:39:11 am

This "File Converter" works great and is free:

http://www.convergent-design.com/Updates_nanoFlash.htm

rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2009 at 12:53:24 am

Neat! Just a rewrap, no re-encode? Why do they keep this hidden? It might be good advertising for them.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Oct 13, 2009 at 3:59:16 am

Hi Craig,
Yes just re-wrap.

[Craig Seeman] "Why do they keep this hidden? It might be good advertising for them.
"

I think they have been really overwhelmed with the orders and working hard with the Firmware updates.
Had you tried yet the NANO, Craig?
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2009 at 1:53:54 pm

[Rafael Amador] "Had you tried yet the NANO, Craig? "
Not yet but I see the value in it quite easily. It takes the EX to another level especially if you do any kind of compositing work, color correction or anything that might involve a few generations. 4:2:2 at a high data rate is the "bee's knees."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]