FORUMS: list search recent posts

Recovered XDCam raw BPAV files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Hathaway
Recovered XDCam raw BPAV files
on Oct 10, 2009 at 3:42:35 am

Hello all.

This may be the toughest thing I've asked for yet. I was handed an SD card recently that had been used to record video from the EX-3 using the SD card adapter. The card had accidently been erased and the video is important. I was able to recover the files and retrieve the raw .mp4 file but they are unplayable in VLC and in the XDCam browser and Transfer application. The file size is normal,typically over 100 megs, but not playable. In the retrieved BPAV folder from the card I noticed some oddly named files, not the typical files found in the BPAV folder. There was no TAKR folder, just the CLPR folder and I think some files with the extension .slv or something odd. I don't remember the actual extension. However I do remember seeing such files when I mounted another card to a Mac that had been removed improperly and the camera was asking for the data to be restored. Those files too were oddly named files and the TAKR folder was missing. If you put the card back in the camera the camera prompts for a command, either "execute" or not. If you execute you usually recover your scrambled data and see precious video again. If you ignore and mount the card to a computer, you get what I got. A BPAV folder without a TAKR folder, some oddly named files and .MP4 files that don't play back in any application.

So (deep breath) I transfered my recovered BPAV folder from my hard drive to an SxS card and placed it in an EX-1. As I expected, based on having seen the oddly named files in the BPAV folder the last time I saw a corrupted card, I got a "restore media" prompt and I selected "execute." Then I waited. The progress bar went to 15% and then stalled. Nothing else happened. I turned off the camera and tried again, getting stuck at 15% bar once more. I'm out of ideas.

This leaves me at an impasse. I have .MP4 files that appear to be the full size but do not play back in the computer applications nor in the camera. My questions or requests become this: can anyone suggestion a plan I have not tried, and 2.) Does anybody know how to manipulate .MP4 files that aren't normally playable in VLC or other applications to make them playable? Thanks everybody.

-Scott

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Recovered XDCam raw BPAV files
on Oct 10, 2009 at 4:24:09 am

Hi Scott,
You need to pick the MP4 files and make a new BPAV folder.
You have to do that with SONY Clip Browser.
Once you have the new BPAV folder, you can upload it to an SxS card, or even more simple, just put it inside another folder in your Finder and run SONY Transfer.
If SONY Clip Browser do not accept the MP4 to make a new BPAV, I know only one professional solution to recover the pictures.
BTW you can play the MP4 with ffmpgx, the problem is that the export options are not appropriate for editing.
best,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Oct 10, 2009 at 4:01:33 pm

I had a gonzo cameraman that I trusted to do the same thing--he was originally taught to use Sony XDCam Browser to transfer the BPAV folders, and instead, without my looking, he only dragged and dropped the mp4 files over without all that other stuff! Gads! So there is a plugin for Final Cut Pro you can get to edit those stand-alone mp4 files: http://www.calibratedsoftware.com/MP4EXImport_Mac.asp Its from Calibrated Software and they actually have a plugin that will allow Final Cut Express to see Sony XDCam as well.

Greg Ondera

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 11, 2009 at 2:00:43 pm

I think the big concern is that the raw MP4 files aren't playable in VLC. You can try the other suggestions but those usually work if the MP4 is playable.

Try using File/Import in ClipBrowser 2.5.1 and see if creating a new BPAV helps.

See this
http://www.aeroquartet.com/wordpress/2009/08/06/a-guided-tour-to-movie-repa...
This is the site
http://aeroquartet.com/
his offer
http://aeroquartet.com/movierepair/repair.html

His name is BenoƮt Joossen and seems to be an expert at file recovery and seems XDCAM and "pro" format savvy.

Return to posts index

rob epple
on Oct 12, 2009 at 2:37:46 am

Hi I faced a similar issue - could play the clip in the camera after restoring the media but it would not transfer via my express card reader in my macbookpro or via a usb card reader. Each time clipbrowser attempted to transfer, the program would say that the media has been ejected and clipbrowser would no longer display anything from the SXS card (as i I just pulled the card out). Anyway, I read these threads, and examined the menu in the camera browser. I decided to DIVIDE the corrupted clip into 2 pieces (just decided to divide it right at the beginning as a shot in the dark). Then I copied the new clip (the second piece) to a fresh card in slot b (which supposed recreates the BPAV folder) and wallah! I successfully got most of my clip (minus a couple of seconds of footage in the beginning). I can live with that for now. Not sure what lead to the corruption in the first place but sure am glad I could extract most of the clip as noted above! hope this helps!

Rob E.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 12, 2009 at 3:06:21 pm

Neat suggestion. I would guess if the clip became corrupted at the head or tail, splitting it in camera could do the trick as you noted. Thanks for that first hand experience doing that!

Return to posts index

Josh Lee
on Nov 20, 2009 at 12:39:40 pm

Hi Scott,

I've gone through the exact same experience, and tried every suggestion, unfortunately to no avail..

the only thing that enabled me to view the files was treasured, although if you've investigated this you'll become aware that a fee is involved - and i've had trouble uploading and completing their quoting system.. so i'm yet to test the service and am a little skeptical..

so im still holding onto the hope of finding some other way to restore these MP4 files to working order..

i wanted to know if you'd found a solution.. i've tried the calibrated plug-in, uploading and restructuring BPAV files onto the original memory card, using different recovery programs, ffmpegx, upgrading VLC player... all with the same result.. recovered media, with all the accidently deleted full size MP4 files, unplayable and unable to be recognised by anything..

has anyone been able to actually play MP4 files after recovering them from a formated card?? these replies don't seem to take into account that recovering the media seems to somehow alter the MP4 files and render them invalid..

Return to posts index

Scott Hathaway
on Nov 22, 2009 at 2:15:27 am

I'm talking to a codec expert right now in Austin Texas who says he is able to demux the MP4 file using a piece of hardware which he can then use to recombine into something useable. I'm still waiting to hear back from him (it's only been a week) and when I do, I'll be sure to pass this information along to you and this board. Sorry to hear you also had the same situation. I would love a prosumer grade answer to this problem since it's very likely to happen again when you deal with uninitiated people. Thanks for the response and good company.

_________

I make movies, not a living.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 22, 2009 at 12:36:39 pm

Does anyone have a short example unrecognizable "recovered" mp4 file they could drop into my iDisk public folder ( member name is andymees ) ?

Cheers.
Andy

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Nov 24, 2009 at 4:29:56 am

Hey Guys

I tried to salvage the sample clip with an alternative video file recovery tool from Digital Rebellion, called File Salvage, but sadly was unsuccessful (as the raw codec is not supported). They also have a QT repair tool but of course these are not QT movies. Looks like, if you can't reshoot, then Treasured may still be the best bet.

Sorry I couldn't be more help
Andy

Return to posts index

Josh Lee
on Nov 29, 2009 at 6:00:55 am

thanks for your efforts, i ended up going with treasured and despite being a little costly it successfully restored all of the files i managed to recover.. would be interested to see if anyone comes across the same problem and finds a different solution in the future

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2009 at 10:22:59 am

I've been able to recover operative MP4 from failed and deleted SDHC without any problem.
Once recovered the MP4 files with DataRescue, just to use the Clip browser to rebuild the BPAV.
With the SxS cards is a different story.
Last year I have to use the services of Treasured. An SxS card that I accidentally deleted. I was able to recover the MP4, but Clip Browser wouldn't recognize them.
Try "Rescue Pro".
Is the freebee application that comes with the SanDisks cards.
I've run it in an SxS card weeks ago and shows up all the deleted files. Didn't try to recover and see if the MP4 worked.
Rafael

Return to posts index

Michael Bruno
on Aug 13, 2010 at 6:49:22 am

Josh and others,
I have recently had a similar issue to Josh's, where unfortunately I depended on the wrong person to dump some footage using xdcam transfer. For some reason he had only dumped 1/3 of the footage on the card. The following day I formatted the card in-camera and proceeded to shoot. I only shot a few clips that day and then the following day realized I was missing some footage. I dumped the new footage and started on my hunt to fix this issue. After trying to use Treasured and having problems and attempting a few other apps and services. I decided to call a data recovery service company a friend works for, They were able to recover all files. But my problems did not end there, the folders were named inappropriately so I tried to rebuild the folder structure in Finder and by the first glance this would look like it would work. I had to delete the first two xml file in the BPAV folder, pop the card in the camera and "restore". When viewing the card in media mode in the camera I can see all the clips but when I try to play them, it plays the first second the and an error message comes up "Play Back Halted". When Attempting to rebuild the BPAV in Clip Browser and previewing the files the same thing happens.
I've gone through almost every single option on this thread and a few others, that pertain to mac users

I've read that when recovering the data off the cards some times this renders the mp4s un-usable, for me this looks like the case because they will not open in any program, but the files are regular size and I can see the first few frames.

I know your issue was back in November but I'm wonder if you heard of any other way to get the mp4's working again. My guess is it might have some thing to do with one of the other file's that have to store the duration information, maybe there's a way to edit the xml files or some thing.
Any ways let me know if you or any one else has had any new developments in the past 8 months.
This is a terrible thing to go through and unfortunatly I've already dumped $200 into recovering the files I have now. I hope that you can help, would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Bruno

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:32:52 pm

To create new BPAV, separate the MP4 from the apparently bad BPAV.
Import File in ClipBrowser 2.6.
That should create a new BPAV with proper metadata.

Personally I recommend buying enough cards so that one never has to dump cards during a shoot. Human error is the biggest point of failure. Buy a couple of SDHC adaptors and get Sandisk Extreme Class 10 cards at less than 1/3 the price of SxS.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:44:33 pm

[Michael Bruno] "I've read that when recovering the data off the cards some times this renders the mp4s un-usable, for me this looks like the case because they will not open in any program, but the files are regular size and I can see the first few frames."
Michael, to recover the MP4 from the cards normally is not an issue.
The problem is that most part of the time the files get some kind of corruption (?) which do not let you rebuild the BPAV folder because the Clip Browser do not accept them.
I've being able to recover and rebuild clips from SDHC cards, but no way with the clips from SxS cards.
Only Treasured worked for me.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Recovered XDCam raw BPAV files 2
on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:46:34 pm

Sorry, I forgot to add: This thread is very old and most of the people won't read it.
Next time you better open a new thread.
cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Josh Lee
on Aug 14, 2010 at 12:57:29 am

i found the recovery process okay, despite having to test a few programs. when it came to getting the recovered files to play as mentioned by Rafael, treasured was the only thing that worked. despite costing i managed to get what i needed from the footage in the end. at the time i felt like i tried everything, unfortunately i have not since heard of any other way to 'uncorrupt' the recovered mp4 files. good luck

Return to posts index

Jai Gopal
on Sep 10, 2013 at 8:55:47 pm

Hi,

I have a 32GB SDXC card which I am using in my Sony PMW F3 camera. I have formatted the card several times and just realised I didn't copy the video clips from the card before formatting it. Please could you suggest me something how can I recover the old files also.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Josh Lee
on Sep 11, 2013 at 1:16:35 am

Hi Jai

It may be difficult because you have formatted several times. If you have formatted once and not recorded over you can recover. The best software available online is 'treasured' by aeroquartet. You could also use a program like mediaRECOVER - to do a 'deep scan' on your cards.. touch wood it will recover past clips. However, they won't be playable. At this stage you will need to send a sample of the recovered clips to aeroquartet and see if they can help restore them. Then put the in a program like fcpx and transcode the media and hopefully they will work. I hope this helps, but as I said because you have formatted and recorded over cards you will likely not be able to get your full clips back.

Return to posts index

Joe Tsai
Re: covered XDCam raw BPAV files
on May 30, 2014 at 4:14:17 pm

For long run research on the relatives of media files and XDcam machine. We did know how the machine records files. We can recover data from a formatted card as the original one.

Return to posts index

Cogalniceanu Sebastian
on Oct 25, 2014 at 3:29:04 pm

Hello! I shot video on an SDHC whole day and evening accidentally formatted one of the colleagues . I'm interested if you can restore the data ... I would like a phone number or an email address ...

Return to posts index

Joe Tsai
on Oct 26, 2014 at 2:18:04 pm

May add my skype ID:book14

Return to posts index

Cogalniceanu Sebastian
on Mar 3, 2015 at 8:47:46 pm

Hi, Could you please help me with the following issue:
- I have an SD HC 32GB (SANDISK) card which was used to record some footage (video) on a PMW-EX3 camcorder. The SD card was used together with an SxS adaptor as the mentioned camcorder uses SxS cards.
- the problem is that the SD card was accidentally formatted on the camcorder (PMW-EX3). The SD card is full and after the accidental formatting nothing else was written on the card. Thank you for your answer ...

seby_cog2000@yahoo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]