FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I combine footage from EX1 and Z1U?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Gagnon
Can I combine footage from EX1 and Z1U?
on Oct 6, 2009 at 2:57:42 pm

I am interested in upgrading my 2 Z1U's to 2 EX1's for shooting weddings but can only afford to do one at a time. Can I combine footage shot with a Z1U and EX1 without visible differences in quality until I can afford to buy the second EX1.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Can I combine footage from EX1 and Z1U?
on Oct 6, 2009 at 3:09:34 pm

You can combine anything you want but it kinda depends what's shooting what. 1080/24p XDCAM EX 35 Mbit is not going to happily play alongside 1080/60i HDV without some serious rendering...

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
on Oct 6, 2009 at 6:15:05 pm

The best way to combine the look of the cameras is to shoot the EX in 1080 60i in HDV (SP) mode. This will get you the most comparable picture quality

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Oct 6, 2009 at 7:44:35 pm

Yep- but it's kind of dumbing down a far superior camera for the sake of supporting the legacy camera. I'd just ditch the Z1U and concentrate on quality over quantity.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera! Unlock the secrets of 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, Canon EOS 5D Mark II, and Panasonic DVX100.
Call Box Training
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Oct 6, 2009 at 9:14:00 pm

You could try using the EX for close shots and the HDV for wide angle. It will still look good once it is on DVD and unless your client is VERY picky they won't know the difference.

Return to posts index

Roger Lee
on Oct 7, 2009 at 5:17:33 pm

I've shot events with Z1Us and EX1s and combining footage isn't really a problem. Maybe some slight color issues and quality differences that we pick up on but the general public will not see it watching their DVD, assuming DVD is the delivery method. If bluray is your delivery package the differences may be more noticeable. I've had no complaints thus far and I've shot a number of events with HDV/XDCAM EX combo. White balance was the biggest issue as the EX's white balance was set up differently. Take the dive. EX image is pretty clean compared to HDV, let alone low light, DoF, focus pulling, over/under cranking, etc, etc . . . i love it . . . fun camera to use and play with.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]