FORUMS: list search recent posts

Manual focus not functional when zoomed out

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kyle powers
Manual focus not functional when zoomed out
on Oct 4, 2009 at 6:05:24 pm

I read the other threads on manual focus issues. I'm not sure If I have the same problem as the other posters. Before I take it to the service center I hoping for the feedback on my issue.

When I am in full manual focus (ring pulled back, switch set to manual) the focus ring has no effect until I am at least 50-60% zoomed in. When zoomed out it appears to still be in auto focus mode. Removed and reinstalled lense and did the FB adjust 2x. Still no response from focus ring when zoomed out. Anybody seen this paticular behavior?

Do I need to go to take it to the sony service center?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
Re: Manual focus not functional when zoomed out
on Oct 4, 2009 at 11:30:37 pm

This may sound obvious but are you sure your depth of field isn't so deep that you can't see a change? When the lens is wide it is hard to see any change in focus because everything is in focus from close to far if you have good light.

Return to posts index

kyle powers
on Oct 5, 2009 at 1:59:08 am

Thanks Ron.

Ya I thought about that but even when I'm 10, 5 or even 2 feet away from the subject turning the focus ring has no effect on focus. In fact it seems to be auto focussing.

I should be able to take a subject in and out of focus at mid to close range when in full manual right?

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
on Oct 5, 2009 at 2:45:30 am

Make sure you don't have the FULL AUTO button pressed.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Oct 5, 2009 at 2:33:38 pm

There is a possibility that you might have a problem with the back flange adjustment. Here are some instructions on how to adjust that;

Try doing a focus adjustment from the menu. On the Ex-1 this is hidden in the maintenance menu, which you can access by pressing menu/set/cancel simultaneously. This will open the regular menu with 2 new categories, 'Maintenance' and 'Information.' Under 'Maintenance' you'll see "Auto FB Adjust." This is the flange-back adjustment for the backfocus. Put the camera on a tripod, in a well lit room 3-5 meters from the wall and run this.

You will want to use a test pattern and MAKE SURE to do this indoors, under constant light.

Here is a link to some test patterns;

http://www.bealecorner.org/red/test-patterns/

It's been recommended to use the "star" pattern.

If this doesn't fix it, then you are in for a visit to the mothership. Good Luck.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

kyle powers
on Oct 5, 2009 at 4:30:16 pm

Thanks for the feedback Michael and Marvin.

Auto\manual focus slider is in the Manual position. Ring pulled back. Is there another auto setting I'm missing?

Under 'Maintenance' you'll see "Auto FB Adjust."

I removed and reinstalled the lense and did the FB adjust twice per the Vortex field manual. Is there another flange adjustment on my EX3?

I should be able to take a subject in and out of focus at 2 to 10 feet away when in full manual right?

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 6, 2009 at 1:10:03 am

It depends on your F stop.

At F1.9 yes you should be able too. But at F8 or more probably not.

Are you using ND's to keep aperture open?

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 6, 2009 at 9:17:30 am

Did you follow Michael Palmer's suggestion and re check the 'full auto' button? This overrides all other focus, aperture settings.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

kyle powers
on Oct 6, 2009 at 8:40:18 pm

Yep checked that too.

Dropped it off at the Sony service center this afternoon.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]