FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX1 tripod receptable ripped out--how to fix?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Collins
EX1 tripod receptable ripped out--how to fix?
on Oct 3, 2009 at 2:26:28 pm

Hello,

My EX1, loaded with Letus and teleprompter, tilted forward hard on an unlocked tripod and the receptacle ripped out. Here's a photo:

Does this need to go to Sony (camera was otherwise unharmed)? Is there a better solution, maybe attaching a stronger baseplate?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Rob

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
Re: EX1 tripod receptable ripped out--how to fix?
on Oct 3, 2009 at 3:18:36 pm

My EX1 is in being repaired for this very problem at the moment. It's just short of £800 inc Vat to fix.

Return to posts index

bruno perosa
on Oct 3, 2009 at 3:39:51 pm

there was an issue some time ago where Sony had acknoledge this problem and had resolved for the EX1 and EX3, there is a number of people that are selling a reinforcement cheaper than the repair and other, like me, that have made an home-made (sorry the redundancy) reinforcement with aircraft aluminium. You can find instructions in the net

EX3, MBP17"2.93GHz, FCS2, Media100, BtcSP, DVcam

Return to posts index

Rob Collins
on Oct 4, 2009 at 1:44:19 am

Thanks Bruno. I found this article: http://www.rockhousecinema.com/news/files/432abc5b75996cb1860946d3715ff76b-... which is beyond my capabilities, but nothing about a pre-made alternative replacement for the EX1. Can you send a link? Even something I could epoxy to the bottom of the camera? Or is that a bad idea? Would LOVE to avoid an expensive repair right now...

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Oct 4, 2009 at 10:30:01 am

This is ludicrous, don't Sony people read these forums? For instance the Media 100 people do regularly and we get feedback from them. This failure on the Ex's is quite unacceptable and should be addressed publicly and repaired free of charge, there is clearly a design fault here notwithstanding the fact that additional gear has been loaded onto the camera.

Wake up Sony, great kit by and large, terrible service and PR.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Oct 4, 2009 at 12:36:44 pm

I think you probably could very carefully repair this with epoxy and maybe some additional metal or plastic.

In the long run you may be better off letting Sony fix it. Home repair will probably kill your warranty.

If warranty is out, I would definitely try an epoxy fix. And a mod to strengthen mount.

EX3's have the same problem. With those you can get a plate from:
http://shop.dm-accessories.com/products/ex3-plate
or
http://www.vfgadgets.com/grip-camera/ex3-heavy-duty-base-plate-system

Maybe someone will come up with a plate for EX1's, I have thought about making one. It is not as easy as for the 3, and it would need some modification of camera body.

If someone in my area, NH, has an EX1 and wants to try to improve base get in touch with me.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Rob Collins
on Oct 4, 2009 at 12:56:08 pm

Olof: I am indeed out of warranty, my only concern would be resale and not making a modification that would hinder any future repairs needed. But I'd be interested in shipping my camera to you if you think you could attach a better plate that wouldn't interfere with future repairs. Why don't you email me at rob@robcollins.net to discuss if you'd entertain the idea. I couldn't afford for the camera to be away longer than a couple of weeks though. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Oct 4, 2009 at 5:33:09 pm

[Michael Slowe] "don't Sony people read these forums?"

The original mount works fine with camera as it is shipped. If you guys want to hang 10 pounds of lens adapter, lenses, mics, light and big batteries on the camera, supported by a single 1/4" screw, the problem is yours. The actual fix would be an aluminum plate with several screw holes attached by paper thin industrial velcro.

Real production cameras are built so that you can use the camera handle to lift the camera, batteries and 15 pounds of tripod for years with no problem.

The EX-1 is a little toy. Treat it as such.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona
It's a dry heat!

Sony HDCAM F-900 & HDW-2000/1 deck
5 Final Cut (not quite PRO) systems
Sony HVR-M25 HDV deck
2-Sony EX-1 HD .

Ask me how to Market Yourself using Send Out Cards

Return to posts index

John Foster
on Oct 4, 2009 at 6:48:16 pm

In order to avoid this problem I bought a special plate from Precision Camera in Toronto. info@pci-canada.com You remove Sony's so-called shoulder mount that extends from the back of the camera (one tiny screw!) and attach the new plate at three points. One large screw under the camera in the usual place, and two screws that fit into threaded holes that were under the shoulder mount. This spreads the load when the camera is subjected to stress. Your own tripod plate now attaches to the underside of the new and thicker plate. Part of the new plate will also accept a V-mount for batteries (that's extra). The whole plate costs $450 Canadian, and you may then want to devise your own custom shoulder mount as there are lots of threaded holes along the plate. These EX cameras are very fragile -- more consumer construction than professional, but deliver great images. They make an expensive noise when dropped.

John Foster

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Oct 5, 2009 at 10:34:27 am

The small 1/4" tripod mounting plate is a $23.00 part from Sony. If you can find someone to remove the screws from the camera you could replace this plate. Chances are just the heads popped off and can be removed with a pair of needle nose pliers. A local clock shop may be able to coax out any other screws that are broken off flush. If you send it to Sony they will likely want to replace the bottom frame piece... costly. You might also try Macie Video who could make the fix.

A glimpse at the bright side... if that piece had not failed you may have ripped the lens off the camera.

Return to posts index

George Griswold
on Oct 5, 2009 at 10:49:15 am

From Sony Parts site, I believe this is the tripod 1/4" plate that attaches with four screws..

BRACKET (TRIPOD)
$22.31

Sony Parts site:
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/au-sony-parts.aspx

You can sign up, find the part (have to use full model name PMW-EX-3 to find the USA model) and then pay with Credit Card. I will check this part number against my service manual later...

George

Return to posts index

Rob Collins
on Nov 18, 2009 at 3:19:20 pm

Thanks all. I ended up sending to Olof Ekbergh. He fixed the receptacle and added a much stronger base plate cheaper and quicker than Sony would have. Here's some photos:

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/10352158_wLDYf#716303057_RKr8g

He's selling now: http://www.westsideav.com/EX1plate/

While he had the camera, he fixed an issue I had with one of my XLR inputs too. Thanks Olof!

Return to posts index

Alex Spell
on Apr 30, 2017 at 12:50:55 am

I'VE FOUND THE PART on SONY’s website -- IT’s PART #307 - BRACKET (TRIPOD)($31 in April, 2017)

The direst link to the part does NOT work, so use this Sony Parts website link - get on the site and then follow these instructions to find the part: (if this one desn't work aswell, go to ServicesPlus.sel.sony.com and choose "Parts"):

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/sony-parts.aspx

1) in the "Model Number:" type in "ex3";
2) hit "Close Window";
3) choose the 4th option in the list: "PMWEX3" (For USA, Canada)
4) in the "Category:" pick "Extended Views" and under "Module:" choose "Outside Panel and Battery";
5) the bottom "baseplate" is part# 307 (BRACKET (TRIPOD)) (217879302)($30.84 in April, 2017)

You have to create an account with SONY before buying! Use this link:

https://www.servicesplus.sel.sony.com/Register-Account-Tax-Exempt.aspx

GOOD LUCK;)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]