FORUMS: list search recent posts

Format shot in 1080 24P but records as 60i

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
david soriano
Format shot in 1080 24P but records as 60i
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:42:51 pm

I have an EX-1 and chose record mode SP 1080 24P but when i pull up file in XDCAM Transfer it says it's a 60i file. It happened yesterday and again today. I haven't shot in this before that i can remember so for all i know it could have been doing this all along.

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a firmware thing? I got teh camera a little over a year ago. It's t a different location or else i would specify firmware version. I can get that info later today but wanted to see if anyone had had this problem.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Format shot in 1080 24P but records as 60i
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:59:16 pm

This is not a problem, it is the Sony flavor of HDV or as you call it SP record mode. Sony has simplified HDV to 60i even if your camera can shoot progressive and 24 fps. Sony converts 24p to 60i and adds 3:2 pulldown to the file, this is because Sony wants every NTSC monitor to be able to see this prosumer HD codec. If you really think you need to remove the 3:2 pulldown many of the NLE's can do so, however I would bet you can't tell the difference of the 60i file as the 24p look is still there. I know you can capture with Final Cut as Pro Rez and it can remove the pulldown, I believe Sony Vegas can do the same.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Tom David
on Oct 1, 2009 at 11:49:03 pm

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:11:16 pm

SP 1080p24 IS in 1080i60. SP is HDV compatible and there is no "native" 24p in HDV.
You would have to inverse Telecine to get to 24 (23.98)

If that's really your objective you should shoot in HQ 720 or 1080 p24.

In fact I have to ask why would one shoot in SP mode unless there's a specific workflow on has been tied to such as preexisting HDV 24 in 60 material.

Return to posts index

david soriano
on Oct 1, 2009 at 5:39:53 pm

gotcha.

Well, i was limited to like 37 minutes on my 8GB card with SP and the program i was recording was going to run about 35 minutes, so i needed the extra time. Essentially i wanted a P mode that recorded in SP.

I still saw the jagged interlaced stuff when i look at the "24P" footage, that's what made me think something was wrong. I shot some stuff in the HQ 720 24P mode you mentioned and i didn't get the jaggies, so i figured something was wrong.

Thanks for help.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 2, 2009 at 2:08:26 am

[david soriano] "Well, i was limited to like 37 minutes on my 8GB card with SP and the program i was recording was going to run about 35 minutes, so i needed the extra time"

I guess you didn't have 2 8GB cards. That's why so many of us use SDHC. I have 2 32GB cards which cost a total of about $300 for nearly 4 hours of recording HQ. You often can get 2 16GB SDHC cards for less than half that.

[david soriano] "I still saw the jagged interlaced stuff when i look at the "24P" footage,"
Did you inverse telecine? You may have been looking at the pulldown frames.

Return to posts index

Sebastian Lee
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:05:32 pm

I had this same problem. Did you ever find a way to fix this? I tried pulldown in Compressor, but my 24p footage has a "jelly like" background. When I leave it as 60i footage without pulldown, I have the "horizontal lines" on the edges.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 22, 2010 at 6:37:30 pm

If you record in XDCAM (not HDV) mode 24p will be 24p going to the cards. If you record in HDV 24p will be over 60i. It's the nature of the spec. You would have to have software to run an Inverse Telecine and would likely have to convert from GOP to an I-frame codec beforehand.

Personally I see no point in shooting HDV mode and certainly no point in shooting HDV 24/60i. The camera shoots 24p native (23.98 to be specific) in XDCAM mode. Why make life difficult?

Return to posts index

Sebastian Lee
on Jul 22, 2010 at 7:59:37 pm

Yes. I agree. I usually shoot with the HVX200 & last minute I had to use the XDCAM EX1 for my shoot, which I never shot with.

I saw that there was a HQ 1080 24p mode & a SP 1080 24p mode. The SP mode gave me more memory in the SxS cards, so at the moment...I chose that route. And it seems a lot of others in other forums did the same thing I did and now....have this same problem as myself.

If I only new before hand, I would have "bit" on less memory and shot HQ mode instead.

With that said, other than removing pulldown in Compressor, than edit in FCP in 23.98. Is there any other better way, because I seem to not be able to get rid of the "jelly like" background and "jerky" movements? And if I stay with 60i...I have the "horizontal lines" on the edges.

What is my best option for quality? Just to edit in 60i OR is there another way in removing pulldown for 24p?

Any help or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. By the way, this is not for the web, but for DVD.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Chris Weatherly
on Aug 13, 2010 at 2:02:42 pm

I did the exact same thing Sebastian. Does anyone have a solution to this? Can you convert 60i to 24P without ruining the quality?

I've got a wedding to edit and most of it was shot on the 7D at 1080p @ 24fps. I'd love to get the Sony footage to match!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 13, 2010 at 4:42:24 pm

You shot with EX in HDV mode? That's the only way you can get 24p in 60i.
First, there's almost no reason to use HDV mode and certainly you weren't in one of those rare situations.
Had you shot in 1080p24 in XDCAM mode you'd be done.

You need to do a reverse telecine to get to native 24p. I can't suggest how to do that because you've made no mention of software or operating system. Given that I can suggest Telestream Episode since it works on both Mac and Windows and has an Inverse Telecine setting.

Return to posts index

Chris Weatherly
on Aug 27, 2010 at 2:46:25 pm

Craig, I know I'm stupid for shooting in 60i. That's been established and lesson learned.

I'm using FCP Studio 2, so I have Compression and Cinema Tools that I can use to do conversions. I'm guessing the best route is to use Compression, deinterlace and convert to 24p.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 27, 2010 at 7:18:18 pm

In Compressor use the Reverse Telecine setting in the Frame Controls Deinterlace. That should get you back to 23.93 (24) native.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]