FORUMS: list search recent posts

Good news for SDHC

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Pestes
Good news for SDHC
on Sep 30, 2009 at 9:28:37 pm

I just got the Hoodman SDHC adapter with a Transcend 32 gig card. So far they work perfectly. In other posts I have read that some people get an error when they try to record short clips one right after the other without letting the red light go green above the card slot. I tried this and never had a problem. The recording just didn't start until the card was ready but there were no errors. The only thing I don't like is it is easy to dismount the card from the adapter when you push it to get it out of the camera or Express card slot on the computer.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Good news for SDHC
on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:37:51 am

Green strip under the word Transcend or Red background behind the word Transcend on the card?

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:17:39 am

Good question. I have heard that red is possibley bad. However, mine is red and in the advertisement that came with the card it shows a picture of all the cards they make and they are ALL red regardless of type and size. My test was to run the card until full and then do a series of short shots. No problems yet but have not tested frame rate yet for under and over cranking.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:31:49 am

It may be that certain sizes are only one color or the other. 32GB are red. 16GB apparently may be either from what I hear but maybe they're only green.

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:45:59 am

Nope, I have red 16GB cards, and am having lots of problems with them. Even getting media restore errors shooting 1fps timelapse footage.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:57:02 am

Brent maybe this is important.
Maybe Transcend
16GB Green - Good
16GB Red - Risky

32GB Red only (no Green exists) - Good

If we here from others maybe we can definitively determine which Transcend cards are good or troublesome.

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:00:24 am

Brent, which adapter are you using?

Return to posts index

Lucian Evans
on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:39:42 pm

Finding it all quite stressful with the Transcend cards. I'm using 16gb class 6 and am getting constant media errors. Back in the office testing everything and its solid with SxS but isnt liking the Transcend cards at all. I am very keen to save a few pounds (pal land) but cant cope with the uncertainty while shooting.

I'm not sure if the colours make any difference at all but mine are 16gb red.

cheers
Lucian

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 1, 2009 at 1:47:01 pm

Lucian, if you read the above, color MAY make a difference at least with 16GB Transcend.

So far the pattern is
16GB Green - good
16GB Red - risky
32GB Red (only comes in red apparently) - good

When people report issues with Transcend
PLEASE include
16GB or 32GB and Green or Red.

If enough people respond we can discern the pattern which is much better than making a blanket statement about Transcend cards.

Return to posts index

Daniel Startek
on Oct 1, 2009 at 2:15:23 pm

16 GB Transcend RED with the Kensington Card. Have been using it continually for the past month with no read/write errors.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 1, 2009 at 3:08:19 pm

Thanks for that Daniel.

While it's hard to say anything definitive this is what I deduce so far:

Green is always good (are there any bad reports on this yet).
Red may or may not be good (some work, some don't).

It almost reminds me of the way Resistors are measured. I believe it was Gold and Silver bands which defined the range.

Green may be to tighter tolerances/specs. That would me some Red would certainly work because a tolerance is a range, not an absolute. The loser tolerance means that some Red will work and others will fail.

All speculative at this point and certainly not even enough anecdotal data yet but it's certainly something worth exploring.

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Oct 1, 2009 at 4:36:47 pm

I just sat an EX-1 on my desk and ran through two new 16gb RED Transcend cards. No problems on either one using MxR adapters.

Cf

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Oct 1, 2009 at 9:36:18 pm

I am wondering if the adapter plays a part in this. The color issue is not consistant. I ran an extensive test with time lapse and only had media errors at and above 45 fps. I even got about 10 sec. at 60 fps before the error. The clip was still just fine up to the error message. It just stopped recording when the error occured. When I pressed "record" again it made a new clip like normal.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 1, 2009 at 10:53:00 pm

I attended a demo recently of the new JVC XDCAM SDHC cameras, and the JVC rep said that ANY class 6 card would work. I wonder what is so different about the way the JVC records that they would support all class 6 cards

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Oct 1, 2009 at 11:11:47 pm

We just have to hope he knows what he is talking about. He might just be trying to sell his cameras over Sony. Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 2, 2009 at 1:36:16 am

Just a couple of weeks ago at a trade show in NYC I spoke to a JVC rep. He was a bit more specific. He said generally any class 6 card should work but they have had reports of issues with some Transcend cards so he'd recommend Sandisk, which has never failed. He said they would be supporting the new Class 10 cards very soon.

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Oct 2, 2009 at 4:57:51 am

Hmmm, that's interesting, because many of us switched to the Transcend cards due to all the reported problems with the Sandisk cards.

Return to posts index

Darrell Beck
on Oct 5, 2009 at 2:21:00 pm

For what it's worth, I have two EX1 cameras that are now about 4 months old. We have a total of six 16 gig Transcend cards, and 4 32 gig Transcend cards, all are RED. We have had almost no problems. An occasional restore error, but a restore does the trick and everything is fine.

To clear the cards, we do not reformat them. We simply delete all the clips using the camera.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]