FORUMS: list search recent posts

Marketing the EX3

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Tyler
Marketing the EX3
on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:47:23 pm

I'm about to re-launch my website with considerable mention of my EX3 package. I've decided to ask the pros, (well some of you) What would you Market regarding the EX3?
Workflow? Cost Savings?
I've got pages of this stuff, just want to see what DPs and clients are thinking.

Thanks,
Joe

Return to posts index

Joe Tyler
Re: Marketing the EX3
on Sep 28, 2009 at 4:49:13 pm

Oh, BTW
EX3, Nikon Prime lenses, Full Zacuto Shoulder rig, follow focus & Whip, 2/3" Fujinon Adapter. 10 - 16GB cards.

http://www.killianthered.com
DP in the Washington DC Area
EX3 Owner

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Sep 28, 2009 at 5:30:59 pm

I would mention all you have listed plus the ability to overcrank and undercrank, shoot in 720 or 1080i, 30p, 24p and the portability and reliability of the -3. I used my EX-3 in Romania for two weeks shooting a concert series and was delighted with how fast it was to set up and get into action. Also the ability to genlock and use SDI connections.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:01:29 pm

I have found that clients could care less about your kit. Just do the job, do it well, and deliver it on time.

Return to posts index

Joe Tyler
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:58:11 pm

Jay, Wow, I should have named this thread "How to be a competent business man". Oh wait, I didn't.

Of course you do the job well and finish on time, That is called being a professional. So is staying on task.

Ron, Thanks I hadn't considered the 720 aspect, but some clients may prefer the lower res. Thanks.

http://www.killianthered.com
DP in the Washington DC Area
EX3 Owner

Return to posts index

Ron Pestes
on Sep 29, 2009 at 4:36:53 am

I disagree with the above. I have gotten jobs BECAUSE of my equipment list. They didn't know me but based on about 30 applicants it was my equipment list that got me the job. If you have professional equipment, list it because some people still show up with small DV or HDV cameras that can't do the job.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 29, 2009 at 9:34:16 am

I am baffled by this thread. Surely the only thing that matters is what you produce. True you need decent kit but a show reel says more than a store full of technical wizardry and provides cast iron evidence of your skill and ability. Don't clients want to see this evidence before hiring you?

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:00:21 am

Joe, you'd be surprised at how many can't or don't know how to "be professional." A fair amount of my work is fixing/redoing jobs of other "professionals".

Do you hire an auto mechanic based on whether he uses Snap-On tools versus Stanley tools?

Those few that do hire based on kit are using us as a link in the chain. It boils down to a compatability issue. That's certainly understandable. Otherwise, 90% of the time the client could care less. That's what my experience has been over the past 35 years.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 29, 2009 at 1:14:35 pm

[Joe Tyler] "Of course you do the job well and finish on time, That is called being a professional. So is staying on task."

This is not as common as you appear to believe it is... Timelines are probably the biggest problem with production projects.

If you are hired by producers who have a project and are hiring a shooter...list your kit.

If you are doing production projects for a client and are handling (yourself or contracting) the bulk of a project...show your images.

The lines are becoming so blurred as to what camera is of what quality level...I'm not really an advocate of judging the skills of someone whose gear list only demonstrates their ability to write a check.

Your reel shows that you have the ability to create images...and that's what you're paid for.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Jason Davenport
on Sep 28, 2009 at 10:59:45 pm

And don't charge a super cheap rate and screw other freelancers with cameras.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 28, 2009 at 11:22:25 pm

It's not what you point at it, it's what you point it at!

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 29, 2009 at 11:38:38 am

Will be people that will choose you for your kit, will be people that will choose you for your Demo Reel and there are people will choose you because you are fan of the Lakers.
For marketing your self you must use all the elements that you think can attract customers.
Some customers have no idea about equipment, some other do.
Even here in Laos there are people that when they contact me they ask me if I have a 3CCD camera.
Is not just the case of telling to your potential customers that you have a good equipment, is also to tell them that you care bout your work and you invest a bunch of money to provide a professional service.
cheers,
Rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 29, 2009 at 12:33:51 pm

Good marketing is about meeting needs and/or solving problems.

I've found that diverse marketing helps. Yes some will look for kit, those that are kit savvy. It's not bad to have a kit web page for such folks

I think it's a good idea to show off what the kit does. This can show how the kit "meets the need" better than a laundry list of features.

Show video:
Great low light shooting the 1/2" chips afford
Depth of Field control the 1/2 chips afford
Slow mo footage at 720p24/60
Time lapse footage

Explain advantages of the workflow:
No need for compatible "deck" when you hand them files.
faster than real time file ingest saves time/money in post production
Client can have master copies on portable hard drive or even SDHC card (and you can have same generation quality protection masters)

The above doesn't require a "kit list" so much as creative flexibility and cost advantage. This is in addition to showing off a demo good reel.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 29, 2009 at 1:08:58 pm

For real- the EX3 is a great camera but it's also an incredibly common camera- everyone has one. So I'd emphasize less the capabilities and specs of a camera that everyone has and more your special services, clients, abilities etc. Otherwise you're just being an ad for Sony and they're doing fine.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com
DSLR Cinematography Blog

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Sep 30, 2009 at 10:51:32 am

Excellent advice, Noah!

Return to posts index

Ed Kukla
on Sep 30, 2009 at 11:51:34 am

This will depend on your client. I've seen some clients ask for HD and found out they wanted HDV at very low budget.
My biggest roadblock has been clients that want tape for archiving. They refuse to accept card based recording. This is especially true with History & Discovery networks. I've been forced to use F900 or HDX900 at much greater cost to the client because of the network requirement to archive all materials on tape. SOME production companies will archive to tape after the shoot but most do not want to mess with all that. A one hour show can have 30 hours of material. That is a lot of work to transfer all that material to tape after the fact. Someday the networks will get up to speed with a good archival solution; but until then, tape is still king.

Return to posts index

Bruce Rawlings
on Oct 2, 2009 at 8:36:47 pm

We archive EX material to HDCAM as the total failsafe on top of 2 copies of all BPAV folders on separate hard drives.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]