FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD out of BNC EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Mark
SD out of BNC EX1
on Sep 22, 2009 at 6:16:33 pm

Is it possible to get SD out of the BNC connector on an EX1? I changed the menu setting to SD, but no video out of the BNC. I don't like that tiny connector on the side. Thx.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
Re: SD out of BNC EX1
on Sep 22, 2009 at 7:37:58 pm

Don't know but that 'tiny connector on the side' is Firewire and just the job for SD video.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Sep 22, 2009 at 9:33:08 pm

Are you talking analog SD? I think that only comes out the "tiny connector" by the handgrip :) If I remember correctly, and lately I'm not doing so well, it's SDI only out of the BNC connector on the side, whether standard or high definition. One more reason why I like using our EX3 more than our EX1.

Cf

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:07:11 pm

I've been trying to get an output out of the EX3 firewire connector. The footage is shot in SP as indicated in the manual, i/o is enabled, cable connected to computer...

Is it supposed to show up on the desktop as a drive or similar to a deck when capturing? When I run log & capture within FCP I don't see the camera.

I understand that the EX3 will downconvert footage but not seeing the connection to the camera yet?

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory
http://www.commercialfactory.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:15:06 pm

The firewire out is NOT a file transfer mechanism. It's a LIVE out. I've actually used it to stream HD in Wirecast. It works fine.

USB is the only file based output from the camera.

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:29:06 pm

Ah okay, so the downconvert is only live then and not through the USB I imagine?

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 23, 2009 at 5:54:29 pm

I'm not sure what you're saying.
firewire out is not a downconvert. It's HDV compatible when camera is used in HDV compatible mode (SP).
USB is data file transfer
HD-SDI/SDI can be HD or SD (downconvert).

Return to posts index

Jim McNally
on Sep 23, 2009 at 8:56:27 pm

Oh okay, the XDcam HD does output through firewire with downconversion so I thought the EX3 did as well.

thanks,

Jim McNally
The Commercial Factory

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 23, 2009 at 9:12:55 pm

[Jim McNally] "Oh okay, the XDcam HD does output through firewire with downconversion so I thought the EX3 did as well. "

I actually had a talk with Sony tech about downconvert through firewire for EX. The short version is that it could be done with a firmware update but as to whether it will be done is another story.

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:24:01 pm

Craig,
I see that you said you have been using firewire to stream HD using Wirecast. We have been using wirecast taking SD-SDI into a blackmagic card because we felt like HD was too big a bandwidth for our customers to view and look nice. How has your experience been?

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:43:27 pm

Exactly which Blackmagic card?
I haven't tried it but I know people looking into this (note that I'm a Wirecast COW forum capo).

I've used Wirecast with its HDV plugin (needed to use HDV of course but not other HD sources). You can get a pretty good looking stream at 1500kbps but that is a bit high for many people. This was just a test I was running.

Ustream's Watershed can support this and costs only $49/month or has a pay per use plan as well.

Return to posts index

Scot Lenter
on Sep 24, 2009 at 6:59:22 pm

We are using the Decklink HD Extreme 3 going SD-SDI out of an AVHS400 connected to 3-4 EX3s and taking analog audio from a board into the card. The stream is pretty flawless.

Scot Lenter
Midtown Video
Miami, Florida
Service Manager
Rental Agent
scot@midtownvideo.com
305-669-1117

Return to posts index

Jacob Swanson
ex3 to ustream.tv
on Mar 5, 2010 at 7:09:18 pm

I am using the HDV outport from the EX3. I can switch the cam into a SP mode for 1080x1440 and enable what's called ilink. So the computer finally recognized the camera and automatically downloaded the driver. Now I want to use the cam but I can seem to find a software that will recognize the camera as a webcam. For example ustream.tv shows the cam as a source option but doesn't show the image?

I am trying to broadcast a barmitzfah for a father that is dying of leukemia in the hospital. My events company is only just learning about streaming live, but I'm having trouble with ustream.tv allowing me to view the camera image

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: ex3 to ustream.tv
on Mar 5, 2010 at 8:43:26 pm

You might need this
http://www.ustream.tv/producer
I think the HDV plugin is an extra purchase though.
See this too
http://www.ustream.tv/producer/comparison
If you're using a MacBookPro with Express slot you can use EX with and take the uncompressed HD-SDI out.

I've done this with EX1, MXO2-LE, MacBookPro 2.4GHZ early 2008 15" and it worked fine. I had the MXO2 downscale since I didn't need to stream in HD (16x9 SD at 640x360 was good) and it took some stress off the processor.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Sep 27, 2009 at 3:56:22 pm

Scott,

Are you saying you're actually getting SD (downconverted) out of the HD-SDI bnc on an EX1???

I understood that this was an HD only camera and having an early one have never achieved this.

Alan (London)

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:18:31 pm

The camera can downconvert out of SDI as described in the manual. It can letterbox or centercrop.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Sep 27, 2009 at 6:18:23 pm

So it does! I never knew that.

Thanks Craig

Alan

FlashXDR,XDcamHD,XDcamEX,D9 etc
FCS,AE,Combustion,LiquidSilver,Vegas,Edius,
G5,MBP,Vista64,XP

Return to posts index

Ed Mellnik
on Nov 9, 2009 at 12:37:27 am

In order for the analog SDI to come out of the EX1 bnc connecter you have to have ilink disabled. THis is Version 1.11.
I dont know if that changes for newer firmware.

You have to have Component enabled and ilink disabled.
Ed

EMA VIDEO
Portland Oregon

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]