FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Footage - SMI and XML missing

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kaspar Fopp
EX3 Footage - SMI and XML missing
on Sep 19, 2009 at 1:40:53 pm

Hi everyone

I received footage shot with a XDCAM EX3 to edit and postproduce. I work on a PC workstation with CS3 on it.

Unfortunately I only received the CLPR folders with the .mp4, .smi, .ppn, .xml and .bim files in it. The cameraguys deleted the whole TAKR folder containing other .smi and .xml files as well as the cueup.xml and mediapro.xml files.

I'm now trying to open the .mp4 file in order to convert to a format, Premiere Pro CS3 can read.

1. Quicktime Pro shows me "Error 2010"
2. After Effects CS3 opens the mp4 file properly, but there's no audio!
3. The XDCAM transfer tool doesn't show me the .mp4 at all
4. Premiere can't import the mp4 (unsupported format)

Please help me on this. I could get access to a Mac if that's the solution. Maybe there's an easier way?

Thanks in advance for help and tips on this!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: EX3 Footage - SMI and XML missing
on Sep 19, 2009 at 5:08:18 pm

[Kaspar Fopp] "The cameraguys deleted the whole TAKR folder containing other .smi and .xml files as well as the cueup.xml and mediapro.xml files. "

Fire the camera guy. They have no right to destroy the metadata of the camera master. He's not technically competent as "cameraguys" if they don't know what the camera master is. I don't know why people accept this. Granted you can dig yourself out of the hole but that's time (and time is money) out of YOUR workflow.

[Kaspar Fopp] "'m now trying to open the .mp4 file in order to convert to a format, Premiere Pro CS3 can read.
"

Update to CS4 which can handle the MP4 although I'm not sure if it needs the entire metadata structure for import. You can create new BPAV folder by importing (file/import) the mp4 into ClipBrowser (use 2.5.1).

Return to posts index

Kaspar Fopp
Re: EX3 Footage - SMI and XML missing
on Sep 19, 2009 at 5:16:34 pm

Hi Craig

Thanks very much for your answer. How right you are! ;-)

I found a workaround with the demo version of Sony Vegas Pro 9.0. It can handle the .mp4 files without the metadata. But it's just a transcoding. Vegas changes not just the container but also the mpeg datastream. There's a little bit of a loss in image quality, but it's ok, because the footage was shot 1920x1080 and in the end is needed in 640x360 in an Intranet project.

Thanks for your hint. I should update to CS4 anyway.

Have a nice weekend.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]