FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX-1 focal length ??

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Fortin
EX-1 focal length ??
on Sep 18, 2009 at 6:33:57 pm

I am doing a lot of interior rooms with the EX-1. I'd like to get a wide angle adapter but have seen posts saying they are not working on the EX-1.

Does anyone know what the focal length of the EX-1 lens is as compared to a 35mm lens?

I'm thinking of getting a 12-24mm AT-X Pro Tokina for my Nikon D100, 35mm Digital SLR. Shoot a bunch of interior stills, paste them together in Photoshop, them import them into Final Cut to edit.

But, I'm wondering how much WIDER the view of the Tokina 12-24mm lens will be compared to my EX-1. Don't want to spend $400 to find out it isn't much wider.

Any ideas of this?

Thanks

David

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: EX-1 focal length ??
on Sep 19, 2009 at 3:01:15 am

Hi David,
The Scheneider Optic (Century Optic) works without problem.
They had some issues but were fixed.
But are more expensive that what you expect to spend.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 19, 2009 at 1:41:20 pm

I recently re read the initial publicity sheets for the EX1 and it says that at wide angle the focal length corresponds to 31mm in 35mm terms. At the tele end it was something like 430mm.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Joe Micalizzi
on Sep 20, 2009 at 4:12:05 am

Don't forget to multiply by 1.6 to get the right focal length for the sensor on the Nikon D100. That being said your Nikon will definately have a wider angle with the lens you mention.

In spite of whatever you've heard...the Sony Wide Angle adapter works fine on the EX1. Just remember to go to the menu and switch "wide angle adapter ON"!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 20, 2009 at 2:45:08 pm

[Joe Micalizzi] " Just remember to go to the menu and switch "wide angle adapter ON"!"

Hi Joe,
What is the "wide angle adaptor" for?
T correct some kind of distortion, aberration or so?
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Joe Micalizzi
on Sep 20, 2009 at 11:44:44 pm

Howdy Rafael,
Typical of most Instructions, Sony does not mention why something has to be
done. Just my best guess is since the
Wide Angle Adapter allows you to cut your min. focus distance in half, the
menu setting letting the camera know the
adapter is in use, allows the auto focus to adjust.
Anyone knowing better please let us know.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 21, 2009 at 2:31:20 am

Hi Joe,
That makes perfect sense.
I bought a Century Optic for my EX-1, but I absolutely forgot about that setting.
Cheers,
rafael

Return to posts index

Joe Micalizzi
on Sep 20, 2009 at 10:16:33 am

Remember to multiply your Nikon D100 lens by 1.6 for the true focal length.

The Sony Wide Angle adapter by the way works just fine, just make sure when you use... change the menu setting to Wide Angle Adapter "ON" !

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Sep 21, 2009 at 3:22:44 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Did Century Optics do the fixing? Or was it Sony, through the firmware update?

I purchased my camera in February of 2008 and I never had my firmware upgraded. Will this Century wide angle still work?

Also, from what the Century site states, with the adapter on, the Sony EX-1 has the equivalent of an 19.7-81mm lens.

So, if I get a 12mm for my Nikon D100. Because of the 1.6 multiplier, that lens is only a 19.2, which will be about the same as using the Century Filter. (except by using the EX-1 I can actually pan the scene. If I shoot it with the Nikon I have to take multiple shots and stitch them together in PhotoShop.)

Does anyone have an opinion on which would yield better quality?

The Sony EX-1 with the Century Filter?
or
The shooting with the Nikon and using the stills in Final Cut?

{this project has no people in the scenes, just empty rooms)

Thanks

Return to posts index

Joe Micalizzi
on Sep 27, 2009 at 4:59:38 pm

Sorry David, almost missed this last post from you. My experiance with Century Wide Angle adapters goes back almost 15 years ago with a $1,800 zoom through for my JVC X2b, then their $800 version for the Canon XL-1, now I went with Sony's version for the EX-1 because of the $500 price, I confess!

I just saw the Century folks at the DV expo this last week and caught up. Apparently there was a problem with the initial release of the lens for the EX-1, a problem long time fixed. The Sony firmware upgrade or the menu setting had no effect on the problem.

I believe the Century lens is a bit wider than the Sony. Best thing would be a hands on demo if you can work it out. If you're in Southern CA you can borrow my Sony:)

The bottom line is the bottom line...but for quality, get the best lens you can afford. The Century lens have been a favorite among ENG news shooters for a reason.

Return to posts index

David Fortin
on Sep 28, 2009 at 7:32:28 am

Joe,

Thanks for the post, advice and offer. On the opposite coast, so I can't take you up on it.

But you answered my firmware question, which I was concerned about.

Thanks again.

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]