FORUMS: list search recent posts

Camera case rolling vibrations causing camera damage?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmos
Camera case rolling vibrations causing camera damage?
on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:57:41 pm

Hello all,

I've long been wondering about pulling my camera gear along roads and pavements, all the bumps and vvvvvibrations...

Now I potentially have a costly repair to my camera, possibly because of some internal bad connection to the battery, so im really concerned about my mode of transport now.

Its a thick black PVC plasic Pelican case, 2.5 inch wheels, foam padding inside, but when I pull it along, my hand feels loads of vibrations and bumps.

Any opinions/experience on the safety of using these cases for walking about?

Tx
Mark.

Return to posts index

Ken Nicholson
Re: Camera case rolling vibrations causing camera damage?
on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:02:25 pm

Mark,

It's been a while since the old edit* days, eh?

I've also got a case similar to yours for my EX-1, and just yesterday was on a shoot where I had to huff down an asphalt running path. Rough (on those little hard wheels) surfaces always make me nervous so I carried the rolling case (irony optional) and always do on such ground. Wood, concrete, carpet, linoleum, they're all good. I wish they'd make the wheels a bit bigger and softer. Vibrations on these new-gen cameras give me the willys...

Ken Nicholson

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Sep 18, 2009 at 9:18:39 am

Hey there Ken, yeah, long time...!

Thanks Olof and Ken for your input, I wonder what the real truth is about this, how much cushioning the camera needs/gets with what kind of wheels etc.

There is no way I can carry my Pelican case and tripod for any distance, and my commute to Soho involves 10 min walk to train station, and 10 min walk from underground station to office, and then to locations... but I cant help thinking its this vibration which caused the damage to my ex-1

PITA!

Catcha later,
Mark.

Return to posts index

Pat McGowan
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:28:22 pm

maybe a nice big backpack style roadcase? we have one from Pelican and it is fantastic.

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:30:54 pm

Hey Pat,
No way am I going to put that on my back, knees and hips will definitely say NO.
I just wish those wheels were pneumatic rather than so hard.

Perhaps i will re-arrange the case so the camera is higher up in the case. At the moment it is at the bottom of the case closest to the wheels. If it was suspended by a partition rather than resting on the floor of the case it might make all the difference... AND I can avoid buying another item.

Tx fellas.
Mark.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Sep 18, 2009 at 12:58:34 am

I use a rock-n-roller to move equipment around, its old about 10 years or so.

Used it on Beta DVcam and EX3's, no damage yet. Hauls cam bags, lights audio gear etc. I keep a couple milk cartons on it for sitting on and extension XLR chords etc.

It has 8" pneumatic tires in the back and 4" wheels in front.

It can also be used for a dolly with me riding on it shouldering the cam.

I think it is still made, it folds up for transport and pulls out to 5' long.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:01:01 pm

Those vibrations have nothing on the TSA. It would be interesting, however, to find something extremely fragile and put it in one of those cases and drag it around for a little bit to see how it fares. Our Storm cases seem decent enough, but those small wheels probably take a good hit from things like sidewalk cracks.

Cf

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
on Sep 21, 2009 at 5:58:54 pm

I'll second the vote for the Rock-N-Roller. My R8 is bulletproof, and I've had it loaded way over the 500lb limit. Check out http://www.handtrucksrus.com for good prices and free shipping.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]