FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fastest workflow - DVD output

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Critchfield
Fastest workflow - DVD output
on Sep 14, 2009 at 6:43:10 pm

I have a shoot tomorrow where I have to shoot 4-5 minute interviews all day, then the client will select 8 of them to burn to DVD with lower-third titles for viewing at a dinner that night. My turnaround between the end of shooting and the dinner is only 1hr 45 mins.

I'm new with the EX-3, and although I've shot on it several times and done some editing, I haven't exported to DVD yet. I just ran a test with 2mins 30secs of footage, and it took over 17 minutes to render and burn a DVD. (Premiere dynamic link to Encore.) This is with all source material in EX format.

I'm running more tests now, but I'm wondering if anyone has advice that would speed this up. Would it be any faster to make the Premiere sequence DV quality, and just scale the EX footage in it? Or maybe use Media Encoder to render out to MPEG2, then burn the DVD from that?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Fastest workflow - DVD output
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:05:14 pm

[Brent Critchfield] "I have a shoot tomorrow where I have to shoot 4-5 minute interviews all day, then the client will select 8 of them to burn to DVD with lower-third titles for viewing at a dinner that night. My turnaround between the end of shooting and the dinner is only 1hr 45 mins. "

Who decided this workflow without doing a test first?
Don't promise what you can't deliver. Client presents a deadline and your job is to present the realistic solution.

Have you tested on an 8 core system with lots of RAM?
Are you willing to charge a direct camera to hard drive solution during the shoot recording in an all iFrame codec to speed things up?
Can you output direct to a DVD Video Recorder?
Have you offered a hard drive or other non optical disk playback solution (ranging from AppleTV to WD Media Player or files from laptop)?

You can downconvert to out of the SDI to Standard def 10 bit Uncompressed 4:2;2 from the EX live during the shoot for example.

Personally unless the client needs DVDs to hand out, you're much better of offering a file based delivery (laptop to projector for example).

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
on Sep 14, 2009 at 7:32:45 pm

When I originally bid the project I was supposed to have 6 hours for editing. This new timeline was just announced on Friday afternoon.

The laptop playback will actually probably work fine. I'll run some tests this afternoon, but I think that might be the best solution. Or is there any way to copy back to the card and play it back from the camera?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:12:28 pm

Ouch that's almost impossible- it's practically a live broadcast. I'd just play back clips out of my laptop.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

David Issko
on Sep 14, 2009 at 8:56:24 pm

Your client will need to be informed that you can give them what they require on Monday morning. They changed the time frame without consulting you, so you cannot be held responsible for the delay. In the meantime, I would do what Craig & Noah cleverly suggested. Either record to DVD directly or better, show them the clips and then take tour time to make the DVDs properly.

Best wishes for a smooth running shoot

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:02:27 pm

[Brent Critchfield] "When I originally bid the project I was supposed to have 6 hours for editing. This new timeline was just announced on Friday afternoon. "

And that's not how the job was described or bid. Client option is to pay more or live with the original description. You must also be clear that sometimes even throwing more money at a project doesn't mean the extra gear you need will materialize. There's last minute rentals or purchases and it may not be available locally in the given timeframe and the hunt for the gear is itself billable. And you should get that money UPFRONT. You shouldn't pay for their mistakes.

The easiest solution is the laptop . . . and then the client may tell you they have a 6 year old iaptop with a 600MHz intel celeron processor with 512K RAM with iGMA graphics and only a 20GB hard drive.

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
on Sep 17, 2009 at 11:30:30 pm

A little more background, now that it's (successfully) behind me. This was a senior leadership training event for the US Army - teaching their Generals how to best conduct themselves with the media. We shot "interviews" with 21 officers, then the commanding general picked out a few clips that he wanted to show as good examples to the group at dinner that night. As it turned out both sessions went long and my editing time got cut down to 75 mins.

I was able to edit the clips and play them back from my MBP on the projector in their dinner room, as you guys suggested. I presented it to them as a way to get HD resolution on the projector and left the time issue out of it. They were thrilled and I got the job to do it again in January, so it all turned out well.

Return to posts index

Adrian Roup
on Oct 25, 2009 at 7:41:22 am

Hi Brent,
It seems like you resolved your issue with computer based playback. For next time, my suggestion is to try switching the camera to the SQ (25mbps) setting, which is essentially HDV. If you do this you can use a firewire cable to connect the camera to a Mac Book Pro. When you open up iMovie 09 it will recognize the camera as an HDV camera and will allow you to record directly into iMovie. From this you can send your interview/s directly to iDVD and burn them. No idea how long this process would take or how reliable it is - something worth testing in advance and also totally worth recording to the SxS cards simultaneously incase the Mac Book Pro crashes.
Hope that helps...
Adrian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]