FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting FCP timeline across two SXS cards

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Todd Sandler
Exporting FCP timeline across two SXS cards
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:15:31 pm

Hi there-

I have any 87 minute feature that I would like to export via FCP through XDCam transfer across two 16GB SXS cards. Is there any way to do this??

Thanks

Todd

FCP 6.0.5
OS 10.5.7
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
18GB RAM
QT 7.6.2

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
Re: Exporting FCP timeline across two SXS cards
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:42:47 pm

Just off the top of my head I'd suggest exporting your XDCAM file, then using Clip Browser to make two independent subclips. You can select the clip in an Explorer window and under the File menu, select "New clip using In/Out section". Overlap by a second or two just to be safe, and put the new clips on the SxS cards. A simple edit can reassemble them down the road.

I've never done this, but it seems the most straightforward method to accomplish what you want to do.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:51:57 pm

Why not get a 32GB thumbdrive instead of tying up two 16GB SxS cards?
Are you hoping to play it out the camera from HD-SDI?

Return to posts index

Todd Sandler
on Sep 14, 2009 at 4:09:38 pm

That is correct, we want to play out the HD-SDI on our EX deck. I would get the 32Gb card if I had the time to wait for one to come in stock.

Right now we are showing the exported file right off the cpu and, although it looks good, it is not as stable (motion jitter across pans) as going to solid state.

Todd

FCP 6.0.5
OS 10.5.7
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
18GB RAM
QT 7.6.2

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Sep 14, 2009 at 5:54:57 pm

Well, that rules out my solution then.

Cf

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 10:14:26 pm

Is there are reason why you're obligated to send HD-SDI out of the camera?
I'd think most (but not all) systems that can handle 10 bit 4:2:2 Uncompressed from HD-SDI would be able to handle the file directly.

Return to posts index

Todd Sandler
on Sep 15, 2009 at 12:26:11 am

No obligation, just peace of mind. It's not uncompressed, though. It's actually an exported DVCPRO HD file that we would like to throw on SXS media (as that is what we have in our facility). We have played the file directly off the cpu 3X now. There was lag at different moments each time (not to mention the momentary freeze up as if the processors forgot to keep processing). In an exhibition scenerio, it would put all of us at ease to play off some sort of deck ie xdcam. I could just output to DVCAM but I really want to maintain as much resolution as possible.

Todd

FCP 6.0.5
OS 10.5.7
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
18GB RAM
QT 7.6.2

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 15, 2009 at 12:53:28 am

It sure seems like what you're doing is anything but piece of mind.
Why are you exporting EX codec to DVCProHD? That's pretty ugly going from one compressed codec to a different one.
You could get a file based player as I mentioned above. People play feature length material off them all the time. You could burn to BluRay (would be easy in FCP 7 and easy and fast with FCP 7 and Matrox CompressHD).
You didn't say what codec you played out of "the cpu" but I'd recommend ProRes over EX since the decoding is going to be a lot easier on the CPU then EX native.

SxS is FAT32 which is limited to 4GB file size so you're just not going to find an easy way to get a long project to work on that format. Don't mistake the ease at which an hours long recording with all the metadata the camera needs to and edited master which has none of the metadata to break into sequential 4GB chunks the camera will understand.

Simply put, you need either a reliable file based playback system or optical disk (BluRay).

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Sep 15, 2009 at 6:39:09 am

Right.
As Craig points you can not upload more than 4GB to the SxS card, whatever the size of the card.
FAT 32 limitation that probably could be avoided with a little plugin or application.
cheers,
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Todd Sandler
on Sep 15, 2009 at 1:15:47 pm

Hey Craig-

What "file based player" did/do you recommend?? So, with a 16GB card, you are limited to a 4GB export? It won't create new clips after it reaches 4GB??

I know that exporting DVCPRO HD footage to EX does not look as good, I can accept that. I am just trying to eliminate the possibility for jittery play back and freeze ups. Also, this is only for rough cut playback. When we online we won't have to worry about this.

Todd

FCP 6.0.6
OS 10.5.7
2 X 3.2 QuadCore
18GB RAM
QT 7.6.2

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]