FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe Premiere, Final Cut and XDCAM EX files

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Browning
Adobe Premiere, Final Cut and XDCAM EX files
on Sep 13, 2009 at 9:07:36 pm

I use Final Cut Pro as my primary editing software, and I recently needed to give some of my XDCam EX files to someone to edit in Adobe Premiere CS4. I know that Premiere can generally work with Quicktime files, and there was a sequence setting for XDCAM EX files. However, when they imported the files they got the message: "codec missing or unavailable."

I read that MXF is a better format to use when going to Premiere, but I'd rather not re-wrap all the files. Any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Adobe Premiere, Final Cut and XDCAM EX files
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:12:44 pm

I suspect the way FCP re-wraps XDCAM EX is not compatible with Premiere. But then again it is a QT codec. But on the other hand, no one expects much in the way of FCP-Premiere cross-compatibility. Are these two installed on the same system?

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:23:02 pm

FCP can export XDCAM EX files as EXDAM EX MP4 files. Premiere CS4 should handle the MP files.

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Sep 14, 2009 at 11:39:19 am

I didn't know about this particular workflow- thanks for the tip. By the way, what program did you use for that tutorial?

I forgot to indicated that the client I'm working with is using two different systems. They have one Final Cut System (which of course would work fine with the MOV wrapped files) and a Premiere system on a Windows machine.

I'm trying to get away from having to modify any of the files since they'll be using them on two different systems, but rather seeing if there's a fix to the Premiere errors.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:15:58 pm

We use both systems in our house. Generally, we convert the EX-1 footage to MXF's via the XDCAM viewer software. The MXF files are provided for edit. Usually less confusing for the Premiere editor. Obviously, the mov files won't work.

If you're Premiere editing friend is particular, you could provide them with the BPAV folder and a link to Sony's downloads, but some will cuss you for this.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Adam Browning
on Sep 14, 2009 at 2:48:39 pm

Do the MXF files work in FCP?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 14, 2009 at 3:50:31 pm

FCP requires MOV but there may be third party plugin support.
XDCAM EX MP4 can be used in FCP with Calibrated Software plugin for example.

MP4 is really the "universal" from which you can use MP4, MOV, MXF as needed so the MP4 should always be the master.

Return to posts index

Nick Hall
on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:05:33 am

That's very useful, thanks.
I have several clips in FCP which I need to send to a client to edit in Premiere CS5 for windows. With the explanation you posted this isn't a problem for the most part (creating MP4 files). However, there is one clip I would like to edit (reduce the length) before creating and sending the MP4 file to my client. How can I do this?

Thanks

FCP 6.0.6
Mac OSX
Sony PMW-EX1R

Tindog

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]