FORUMS: list search recent posts

EX3 Viewfinder Calibrating Brightness and Contrast Succesfully

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
EX3 Viewfinder Calibrating Brightness and Contrast Succesfully
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:22:22 pm

I've noticed that it is quite easy on the EX3 viewfinder to knock one of the brightness / contrast wheels. I haven't been caught out and started adjusting the iris accordingly, but it is a worry. What is the best way to make sure that what one sees is what one gets?

Colour bars are a great help, but any more tips to get this right would be great. Cheers, Martin.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
Re: EX3 Viewfinder Calibrating Brightness and Contrast Succesfully
on Sep 10, 2009 at 12:36:02 pm

The monitor/viewer on the EX3 is not meant to be a studio reference monitor--it isn't. Therefore, you should NOT rely on it to provide "what you see is what you get," because you won't! You can get close (maybe), but don't count it.

P.S. What are you doing to "bump" the brightness/contrast control knobs?

Return to posts index

Martin Phillips
on Sep 10, 2009 at 1:19:37 pm

Yes, I agree you shouldn't rely on it 100% - I use the histogram to make doubly certain that I'm not overexposing.

I probably stuff too many things in my shooting bag, so that's probably why a button gets twiddled, or a couple of times I have caught my finger on a button when adjusting the viewfinder angle during shooting.

Return to posts index

Jay Gladwell
on Sep 10, 2009 at 8:56:21 pm

"I use the histogram to make doubly certain that I'm not overexposing."

What's wrong with the zebra? It's much quicker.

Return to posts index

Justin Milaski
on Oct 3, 2009 at 8:22:23 pm

why must you avoid the question this man is asking? if you do not know the answer, then don't respond. you pointed out that he cannot treat the viewfinder as a field monitor. great. now admit that you do not know the best settings to calibrate the lcd in situations where one does not have a field monitor? gee wiz!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]