FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ex-1 Close up focus problems!!!

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Travis
Ex-1 Close up focus problems!!!
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:09:15 pm

Hello all,

Had a search but couldn't find anything matching this exact problem but if there is another thread on this please feel free to point it out in as rude a manner as you like. I won't mind.

Anyway, we have 2 EX-1 Cameras where I work and we've been going out to film a lot of small things like jewelery and watches and so far a number of shoots have been a complete wash out because we simply cannot get anything in focus when going very close up. Wether we're zooming right in, or putting the camera right next to it, it's blurry as hell and we can't do a thing about it.

I have tried resetting the back focus but to no avail.

Are we doing something wrong? Or is this a limitation of the camera?

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
Re: Ex-1 Close up focus problems!!!
on Sep 9, 2009 at 3:25:06 pm

I'm assuming you are using the Macro function, which, by-the-way, does not function when you are in full MF mode.

Return to posts index

Michael Slowe
on Sep 9, 2009 at 6:15:10 pm

I have had the same problem with ultra BCU's, never knew the Macro did not operate in full MF, don't think this is mentioned in the manual. Thanks for this info Chris.

Michael Slowe

Return to posts index

Bob Pierce
on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:02:30 pm

Well, yes it is mentioned in the manual. The macro does work, though it's kinda funky. You mush be set to manual focus - servo (not full manual). The funky part is finding the best focal length - it doesn't work at either end of the range, only in the middle somewhere. You have to mess with it to figure this out. It's screwy, but it does work - I've been able to focus on tiny objects virtually touching the lens. Different focal lengths focus at different minimal distances - other focal lengths won't macro-focus at all. This is another one of the rarely mentioned tradeoffs of the amazing little camera (along with crappy servo zoom).
Good luck
Bob Pierce

http://www.lightstreamassociates.com

Mac Pro 2.66 - 8GB memory -
Mac Book Pro 2.33 Duo -
FC Studio 2 - Kona Lhe
Adobe Production Suite CS4 -
Sony Multiformat 14" - Panasonic 42" Plasma -
Ikegami HLDV7 - PVW EX-1

Return to posts index

Chris Babbitt
on Sep 9, 2009 at 10:29:14 pm

Yeah, and you can add ATW to the list of funky things. I've had to wait as long as several minutes for it to react after engaging it. I've seen the same problem on three different cameras, yet Sony doesn't seem to know anything about it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]