FORUMS: list search recent posts

SxS Drivers Update in September for Snow Leopard.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Goyette
SxS Drivers Update in September for Snow Leopard.
on Sep 3, 2009 at 6:26:44 am

Sony Support inform me about SxS drivers update in september :

Some good news the SxS driver will update this month so the SxS card will be able to be seen by Snow Leopard this would at least allow backup or copying files on that OS all others softwares is still on the schedule that I previously informed however at this time.(About end of this year ).

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SxS Drivers Update in September for Snow Leopard.
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:46:18 pm

It would be nice if Sony posted this stuff on their website. It has a major impact on people making new Mac purchases.

I really don't think the XDCAM Transfer Thumbnail cache should take that long to trouble shoot and fix either but apparently Sony does. At least their Log & Transfer plugin for FCP still seems to work.

Return to posts index

Michael Moser
on Sep 3, 2009 at 1:55:28 pm

That's good news.
It's wonderful to see that our rants have had such a positive effect on such a responsive and esteemed company : >

Return to posts index

Stephan Warmenhoven
on Sep 3, 2009 at 2:30:22 pm

Hi,

The XDCam Transfer software doesn't work either on Snow Leopard. Tried it with the U1 and the PDW-530 camera. System gets very sluggish and can't read the metadata/proxies from the XDCam discs and isn't able to write to the cache-file. On the U1 all the XD Cam discs are suddenly named 'test' on the Mac desktop. Under Leopard everything is fine. Contacted Sony Netherlands about this. They seem to be some kind aware of this. Hopefully Sony will fix this with an software/driver update soon!

Stephan

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 3, 2009 at 3:48:37 pm

Yes, the two issues I see is the PDWU1 kext (extension) is broken and XDCAM Transfer can't create the cache for the Thumbnails. I think both are easy fixes and it's disappointing Sony's supposed timetable for these fixes seem to be months away. I've seen other kext issues and they seem to be related to how Snow Leopard handles permissions/ownership. I actually think this is part of the Thumbnail Cache issue.

The reason why I think the issue(s) are simple fixes is that SoundFlower exhibited the same kext issue and, reading their developer thread, they spotted and fixed the issue within 24 hours.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 3, 2009 at 4:38:06 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It would be nice if Sony posted this stuff on their website. It has a major impact on people making new Mac purchases."

It has a major impact on EX1 and EX3 owners making new Mac purchases...

It's not insignificant, but both Sony and Apple have a large customer landscape to deal with, this intersecting group of mutual users being a portion of that landscape.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:05:42 pm

Given the installed base of Final Cut Pro users . . . as well as Mac based Avid and Premiere users and probably Media 100 users as well, the Mac portion has to be substantial and could have been alleviated by a few lines of text on the web page in the resources section. The issue is affecting both EX and XDCAM users (PDWU1 kext is broken as well and XDCAM Transfer is not simply an EX utility). There's no way I can see the EX and XDCAM on Mac user base being anything but substantial even if a minority of all Sony users.

Return to posts index

Philip Mozolak
on Sep 4, 2009 at 1:37:29 am

Ex3 pulled in from USB no issue.

Return to posts index

Tim Kolb
on Sep 4, 2009 at 2:44:57 am

[Craig Seeman] "The issue is affecting both EX and XDCAM users (PDWU1 kext is broken as well and XDCAM Transfer is not simply an EX utility)."

I've not used XDcam in post so this is something I didn't know.

There is no question that this is a problem BTW, it's just that it seems a bit of a leap to assume that Sony was simply asleep at the switch.

I do hope it gets fixed soon and that some alternative external Express 34 adapters will work...much like P2.

TimK,
Director, Consultant
Kolb Productions,

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 4, 2009 at 3:07:31 pm

[Tim Kolb] "There is no question that this is a problem BTW, it's just that it seems a bit of a leap to assume that Sony was simply asleep at the switch. "

As stated in another thread. They could have simply posted a warning not to upgrade on their site.

For many of us the day of "turnkey" systems are long gone. A single computer often has to do several jobs. Some of those may be better served by Snow Leopard. In addition people purchase new computers which come with the latest OS. On Windows, for some time, you could purchase a Vista system and get an XP "downgrade." Apple doesn't offer anything like that and often will pull the old OS off the shelf immediately.

For example, my edit workstation may also be my compression workstation when not editing. My laptop may be my field ingest device, portable edit station, field live streaming device. If the developers of the compression and streaming programs uniformly state OK and even Advantage to installing Snow Leopard and Sony does not say "don't" . . .

When I have a score of apps on these systems an the developers either have Public Betas, Release Candidates, releases, public statements on compatibility with current versions and only ONE company says nothing (and nothing is not the same as don't) I make a personal and professional value judgement on that company's responsibility to its users. Many companies were not ready with final releases but they all had "something" except Sony (as far as the apps that I use).

It's easy to simply not upgrade when the system is turnkey. Even in "those days" Avid would have an advisory to not upgrade and they would certainly take months before certification or update was done as needed. We live in workflow ecosystems now and we certainly can take stock of the "family member" that is not courteous to that ecosystem.

Return to posts index

Ben Kimball
on Sep 9, 2009 at 4:26:43 am

GOOD NEWS!!!!

You can download version 1.0.4 of the SxS card drivers here:

http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?product=PMW-EX1&site=biz...

I just tested this driver on my 17" Intel Core 2 Duo MBP running Snow Leopard and it worked. I'm not sure why US Sony support didn't know about the European update, but the date of creation on the driver was 8/5/09 and it seems to work just fine on Snow Leopard.

At first, I had the same problems as the other users--kernel panic, shame, weeping--but then I kept searching for an older version of the driver... and stumbled er, googled upon a link to a very different looking SxS PRO device driver page.

And then I had the thumbnail problem too. "Crap." I thought. "Why can't we all just get along?" So I decided to try rolling back, version by version, to see if I could trick the thumbnails into behaving.

Version 2.10 - No thumbnails
Version 2.9 - No thumbnails
Version 2.7.1 - No thumbnails

So I figured, three strikes and I'm out. I'll wait patiently for the XDCAM Transfer update, since I can still preview the clips in XDCAM Clip Browser, which seems unaffected by frosty felines (10.6).

I hope it works for you all!!!

-Ben

Kimball Productions
http://www.kimballpro.com

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on Sep 24, 2009 at 3:30:27 am

I searched in this forum and did not find a reference to the new driver that makes SxS work with Snow Leopard 10.6.1 so I thought this post would be useful.

http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

Text from Sony site:
Download (Mac)
•Filename: SxS_Device_Driver_v1045050.dmg
•File Size 265KB
Recommended Macintosh OS environment
Mac OS X v10.4 (v10.4.9)
Mac OS X v10.5 (v10.5.0 or later)
Mac OS X v10.6 (v10.6.0 or later)

I downloaded, installed and BAM my previously crashing Macbook Pro now works with the SxS cards. XDCAM EX Clip Browser works however the XDCAM Transfer has an error as previously documented.

Return to posts index

Allen Cavedo
on Oct 26, 2009 at 3:40:20 am

I was surprised to find no posts in response to mine about the Snow Leopard SxS driver that works without crashing the Mac OS, especially after the many requests for info. Makes me wonder if what I found is as useful as I thought it was. Seemed to me like it was a breakthrough.

Well, here's another one that seems like a breakthrough. I was faced with either reinstalling Leopard and removing Snow Leopard and reinstalling FCP and everything else back on the Mac or waiting for Sony to kick out an XDCAM Transfer that works with Snow Leopard.

I found another way to get my EX1 clips into FCP7 and it works on Snow Leopard. I found, downloaded and installed the Sony Log and Transfer plug-in (PDZK-LT1).

Download from here:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsc/ssr/micro-xdcamexsite/resource.downloads.bbsccms-a...

I plugged the EX1 into the Mac via USB cable (will try inserting an SxS card into the MacBook Pro later), got in FCP7, clicked on Log and Transfer and it automatically found the SxS card clips. I transferred them into a new FCP project and all is wonderful.

I also found a great Sony EX1/FCP workflow doc here:
http://pro.sony.com/bbsccms/assets/files/micro/xdcamex/downloads/25634_XDCA...

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 26, 2009 at 2:35:06 pm

SxS driver was a find although I know many people are apparently having issues with the update.

The other links have been available for a long time, long before FCP 7 arrived for example.

Thanks for the links though.

Return to posts index

Tom Laughlin
on Nov 10, 2009 at 3:08:26 pm

In my battles to pull video off of a Transcend 32GB card using the Hoodman adaptor, latest Mac, FCP 7, and Snow Leopard, we found that it did not work using the Clip Browser, the log & Transfer Sony Software, or the FCP plug-in. The BPAV Folder seemed to be corrupted, as we'd get one out of the three clips to play out. One clip was a minute or so, and the other two clips were about 25 minutes each - giving us no time-code or info, and we could see that a thumbnail was not generated either. I went into the camera's in camera play feature, and played the video, and it would play fine in camera, so we captured the video out using SDI-out, and into our BlackMagic Card installed on our Mac. Once 15 minutes into capturing, we'd get a blue error screen and the message "Media Error: Media Halted During Playback."

So, to try and salvage that last 6 minutes or so, that would not allow me to replay, I went into the menu, and clicked on the clip, then in the clip menu, I went into "Expand Clip", this allowed me to go throw each clip to finally arrive and play where it appeared there was corrupted video, and I selected the subclip after the corrupted 2-3 minutes, and captured the next and last 6 minutes, so there seemed to be a section in the BPAV folder that did not get written correctly. It was 2 minutes in the middle of this 25 minute clip that was causing the error. This may also be why the softwares were NOT importing or working with the footage, so it may not be a Snow Leopard issue, it may be card corruption or a small strand of corrupted video inside and housed in good video clips. We also tried this on multiple cards using the same BPAV Folder, os it wasn't the fact that we went with a Transcend card versus the expensive Sony cards, it was hitting at the same spot. If you watch all of you video all the way through, it's hard to catch it if you're not watching, but there could be a small 30 seconds of corrupted video of sorts. The also affects how the clips are sequenced and if things are sequenced correctly, you can't always go in the hit "Restore Media" because this card with this BPAV Folder did not indicate that any media needed to be restored, so after 2 weeks of battling, we were able to recover 98% by simply recapturing the card's footage, capturing in real-time using FCP. Now we're editing again.

In the last 5 months, we've shot over about thousand hours of video, if not more, using the Transcend cards, and with our loggers logging video, we are now finally getting word back months later, that we have out of those thousand hours, about 15% of the video is either not available, or the video cannot import, so we are looking at how to overcome this. I've heard that it's not a card brand issue, it's a camera or cameras issue. We've got about 35 of the Transcend 32GB cards, and so now we are trying to figure out at what point will this footage loss problem end, or footage import problems end?? We may have to go back and recapture them as well, but first I'll try the Clip Browsers, Log/Transfer, then the FCP plug-in, and if we still cannot get the video to transfer into the softwares to convert them, we'll need to recapture to .mov.

Thanks,

Tom Laughlin
FCP Editor/Producer
Salt Lake City, UT.

Return to posts index

Jan Lichtmast
on Feb 27, 2010 at 11:39:50 am

I have installed this 'latest' driver v1.0.45050 on OS X.6.2. I can read the ExpressCards, but still my system crashes on ShutDown (MacBookPro unibody). Afterde-ninstalling the driver no crashes on ShutDown.

I'm currently installing the driver when I need it and de-install before I ShutDown the system, but would really appreciate some help on how to solve this issue -> some people claim this driver works properly with Snow Leopard so I wonder if something sticks on the system when de-installing the driver...???

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]