COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Sony XDCAM Transfer and Snow Leopard
on Aug 31, 2009 at 8:05:37 pm

Using XDCAM Transfer 2.10 in OS 10.6
It doesn't generate thumbnails
Error message
"The clip thumbnail could not be saved to the cache as it was an unrecognised format."
Options are Cancel All Tasks and OK
The error will happen with each clip you select.
It will still re-wrap them to MOV.

If you try to reinstall XDCAM Transfer you will get an error regarding the .kext not being compatible.

Obviously Sony is aware of the lack of compatibility but I think we should document them. Given the number of people getting new Macs and Sony's comments about not fixing this possibly as late as next spring Sony may lose a good portion of the Mac market.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Sony EX FCP Log & Transfer works in Snow Leopard
on Aug 31, 2009 at 11:49:30 pm

Sony EX FCP Log & Transfer Plug in works in Snow Leopard. Preliminary test.

Return to posts index

Sean Trani
Re: Sony EX FCP Log & Transfer works in Snow Leopard
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:22:44 am

I'm running FCS3 with XDCAM Transfer 2.8 on MacBookPro 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo / OS X 10.6 (snow leopard)

Obviously the internal express card reader fails as everyone has written and posted, however using the Sony SxS reader is fine in conjunction with the MBPro. No errors to report.

Not ideal for easy use out in the field but I just wanted to test it and am okay with the results.

Sean

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:34:38 am

[Sean Trani] "XDCAM Transfer 2.8 on MacBookPro 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo / OS X 10.6 (snow leopard) "

Have you tested XDCAM Transfer yet?

Return to posts index

Sean Trani
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:42:04 am

Yes, working all the way into a FCP timeline.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:49:13 am

But there is no XDCAM Transfer 2.8.
There's 2.7.1, 2.9, 2.10
https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-software-model-PDZKP1.aspx

Return to posts index

Sean Trani
on Sep 1, 2009 at 3:52:17 am

that's odd.

That's the screen shot of my "ABOUT XDCAM Transfer" says 2.8.0

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2009 at 4:24:03 am

So maybe they pulled a version that apparently works with XDCAM Transfer?

Anybody else attempt XDCAM Transfer in Snow Leopard?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2009 at 5:00:47 am

Trashed:
Preferences
Cache
Database
Proxies
Thumbnails

Removed and reinstalled
Same as above

Created new user
Same as above

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2009 at 5:27:00 am

Someone else on another forum tested on MacPro and got the same results as me. He also tested on his MacBookPro and got same results as you.

So it seems XDCAM Transfer works on MacBookPro with 10.6 but not MacPro. 2 for 2 on each so it seems to be a pattern.

Editing. Same person tested on another MacPro and it worked.

So the score is 2 fails out of 3 on MacPro
2 successes out of 2 on MacBookPro

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:11:31 am

Removed all things relating to XDCAM Transfer 2.10. I found the old 2.8 installer which Sony doesn't distribute anymore. Didn't fix the issue.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 1, 2009 at 6:46:04 am

The famous Philip Bloom is having XDCAM Transfer problems.
In his case it's MacBookPro so that doesn't ensure success either.

http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/08/29/beware-xdcam-users-upgrading-to-snow-le...

I have been trying to import pro disc footage on my Snow Leopard install 13″ MBP using XDCAM transfer and be having all sorts of problems. Cache not working, unable to relabel disc.

Score is 1 for 3 success on MacPro
2 for 3 success on MacBookPro.

Obviously that's not the correlate. I can confirm no thumbnails are created in ~/Library/Application Support/XDCAM Transfer/Thumbnails

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 2, 2009 at 12:39:38 pm

Craig, any idea if there is correlation between clean installs and upgrade installs on these various systems?
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2009 at 2:11:54 pm

I can't help but suspect these are predominately upgrades. One person has 3 MacPros and only 1 of 3 had the thumbnail cache issue. I think he'd have mentioned it if 10.6 were installed differently on one than the other two. He did mention the issue was on his older MacPro. Phil Bloom mentions his on 13" MacBookPro which is very new.

My guess is there's some common utility that's creating the conflict on some but not all systems. If Sony had something resembling a professional QA department they'd at least be able to point out where the conflict is even if they didn't have a fix.

Snow Leopard complains about the PDWU1 kext on my system but removing it didn't help. In fact I've done complete delete reinstall of ClipBrowser and also tried delete reinstall of XDCAM Transfer 2.71, 2.8, 2.9, 2.10 along with doing the Snow Leopard upgrade again to no avail. Whatever it is, I believe it involved a conflict with some other component not on all systems.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 2, 2009 at 2:23:03 pm

Thanks for the update Craig ... did you do a clean install on your non-working system? My money is on a low level conflict too, and I'd dare say that those who did a clean install are less likely to have such a conflicting framework / extension or what have you lying around in their system. Really, if folks followed best practices for major upgrades (full clean install of OS then step by step install of essential apps and utilities) then by now I'm pretty sure we'd have a much better idea of what is or isn't causing the issue.
Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2009 at 2:55:14 pm

[Andy Mees] "did you do a clean install on your non-working system?"

Just an upgrade. Normally I'd do an Archive/Install and reinstall apps as I encounter issues. Snow Leopard doesn't often that option although from what I understand that's what it does under the hood and it dispenses with the "Previous System Folder" that would result.

Snow Leopard will actually throw up a warning when there's a compatibility issue and the warning may be different depending on the issue. So far it's my scanner kext, SoundFlow kext (already fixed by them), Sony PDWU1 kext. I needed to reinstall Telestream Episode. Again I've found Archive/Install to be the best compromise and that's what SL is doing plus it has an excellent compatibility warning system. There seems to be some issues with permission/ownership of certain files and folders (this was the SoundFlow kext issue) which means developers will have to change how their installer work in some cases. That's a very simple fix though.

Personally clean installs are not viable for me. I did that once and dealing with the installs updates and serial numbers slowed me for weeks. BTW also the idea of waiting until one is between projects to upgrade isn't viable. I'm never between projects. I always have multiple things going on at once and some projects can stretch out over a year.

Except for Sony, most of my issues with Snow Leopard compatibility have been very minor. Developers had new drivers ready to go or have said they'll have them out in short order. Right now Sony is the lone exception. My laptop with Express slot is still on Leopard. I am or was thinking of getting a second laptop but there's no point to that now, at least as far as Sony is concerned.

Just to be clear, even when I do a .x update I use Apple's Combo Updater since Software Update can result in the similar type issues that an OS upgrade can do. Apple's SL upgrade supposedly works as an archive/install which does install all new stuff regarding the OS. It simply doesn't trash app specific stuff though. Basically the issues I'm seeing are really app related and not OS install related.

The kext issues are app related. The SxS issue is Sony's driver and method of install doesn't fix that. The XDCAM Transfer issue is either app conflict related or some aspect of the OS tuned to certain conditions that exist on some Macs.

Apple switched to an archive/install upgrade because it prevents the "dirty" upgrade issues. I don't think a clean install would solve any of the above issues. It might help trouble shoot which app might be causing the conflict but that's not tenable unless one fully tests each app after installing each other app after a clean install.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 2, 2009 at 3:42:34 pm

Craig I hear you ... but for me, clone and clean install is always worth the effort. On my laptop I've my hard disc partitioned so that when a major OS or app update comes along then I can clean install the new system and apps yet easily boot into and keep using the existing stable install if and when and for as long as necessary. For minor point release type stuff then I'll update like anyone else, but for the big change stuff then a full clean rebuild is always recommended ... it just makes sense.
Just my 2c
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:15:17 pm

Andy I understand your reasoning. Keeping the stable system of course makes sense as well as having a clean system as far as keeping things going. I am a trouble shooter not just by nature but by trade. It's very easy to test on clean systems but I believe in testing in "real world" circumstances.

One could update the "dirty" system when one is assured the fixes are in but of course one can't find what's broken in that environment and for me, I'm all about finding what's broken and why.

I don't find clean installs practical since, having done it, the amount of downtime reinstalling and copying things over can exceed the amount of time trouble shooting an issue. If one has a dedicated machine with very few things on it that's one thing. I have hundreds of apps and would need scores of updates and old serial numbers. I remember spending days fighting with Adobe over there horrid sequence of needing old serials to walk through a series of updates.

Companies that only test on "clean" systems are the kind that release apps that don't work on "dirty" systems. I test for several developers (and have been a former facility engineer) so I'm coming at this with a very different approach than you I guess.

BTW I see this in my Console Sys Log and there's interesting comments regarding QuartzComposer

Sep 2 11:44:55 craig-seemans-mac-pro XDCAM Transfer[11241]: XDCAM Transfer 2.10.0 (Build 565) Mac OS X Version 10.6 (Build 10A432)
Sep 2 11:44:55 craig-seemans-mac-pro XDCAM Transfer[11241]: Loaded component MXFImport.component from SharedSupport
Sep 2 11:44:55 craig-seemans-mac-pro XDCAM Transfer[11241]: Loaded component EXImport.component from SharedSupport
Sep 2 11:44:55 craig-seemans-mac-pro XDCAM Transfer[11241]: Loaded component SMPTE331MAudioDecompressor.component from SharedSupport
Sep 2 11:44:56 craig-seemans-mac-pro [0x0-0x17f17f].com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer[11241]: objc[11241]: Class QCResource is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QuartzComposer.framework/Versions/A/QuartzComposer and /Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches/ImageDownloaderBlockingPatch-10.5.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ImageDownloaderBlockingPatch-10.5. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Sep 2 11:44:56 craig-seemans-mac-pro [0x0-0x17f17f].com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer[11241]: objc[11241]: Class QCCGLContext is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QuartzComposer.framework/Versions/A/QuartzComposer and /Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches/ImageDownloaderBlockingPatch-10.5.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ImageDownloaderBlockingPatch-10.5. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
Sep 2 11:44:56 craig-seemans-mac-pro [0x0-0x17f17f].com.sony.bprl.xdcamtransfer[11241]: objc[11241]: Class QCImage is implemented in both /System/Library/Frameworks/Quartz.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/QuartzComposer.framework/Versions/A/QuartzComposer and /Library/Graphics/Quartz Composer Patches/ImageDownloaderBlockingPatch-10.5.plugin/Contents/MacOS/ImageDownloaderBlockingPatch-10.5. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:48:38 pm

its late here Craig, and I should go to bed, so take whatever I'm saying with a pinch of late night and over tired salt, but ...

We're all troubleshooters in this trade, its part and parcel of the job, and I do realise you test for several developers (as do many of us I'm sure ... for example, my lappie actually has 3 partitions, 1 latest, 1 stable and 1 'dirty'). But one of the mainstays of troubleshooting as well you know is eliminating what is not the problem and a clean install is a fundamental part of that process. But the terms such as grandmother and egg sucking are now coming to mind so I'll leave that train of thought! My point is not to blather on about testing methods, its just to note that folks trying to run stable production machines (ie not test beds) are best advised to follow rigorously long-winded but nonetheless proven upgrade procedures.

Folks, as we've seemingly found a inconsistent bug with XDCAM Transfer and Snow Leopard then it'd be worth it if you all could note whether any of you did full clean installs and yet still have the problem, and if so on what specific hardware? I dare say we can nail down exactly what does work along the way to finding what doesn't.

Sorry Craig, as noted too damn late ... at least its only a 'tired' post and not a 'drunk' one eh? I'll regret posting in the morning :-)

Very Best
Andy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 2, 2009 at 5:33:14 pm

Given the time difference I'm sure you'll be up and responding before me at that point.

A clean install followed by the app in question can verify if the issue is between the App and the OS.

A clean install followed by installing all apps and plugins doesn't tell you which app is conflicting with which unless one tests the single app in question after each additional app install.

With previous Mac OS updates an "upgrade" was a dangerous thing because it didn't always clean out old OS junk. An Archive/Install, once optional, now built in to Snow Leopard update, is a clean install of the OS plus copies over app related things. That why one used to get a "previous system folder" (which Apple dispensed with with 10.6) with archive/install. An OS 10.6 upgrade is clean as far as the OS itself is concerned. This is why I conclude that either XDCAM Transfer is conflicting with some part of the OS on some systems or some part of another app.

The part from the console log that I posted seems to imply that there's a 10.5 QuartzComposer Patch still present. It may be there because some apps need it. It may be that's creating a conflict in the creation of the thumbnail cache.

A clean install may not have that patch (since there's no reference to older apps that the installer might use in the decision making process of the installer script) or that patch may be innocuous if the "other app" doesn't exist to make the "call" to it.

One quick way to check this would be to install a blank hard drive in a MacPro (avoids the partitioning or the whipping of you system disk), install 10.6 on it. Install ClipBrowser, XDCAM Transfer, Final Cut Studio and see what happens on a system that has shown the issue. On a laptop one might create an external bootable drive and test that way. Now if I only had a spare drive handy.

This would show if it's OS/System specific (something the OS decides to install for certain hardware configs) or whether some app is impacting the results.

BTW we might ask if people have FCS2 or FCS3 on the systems because if there's a change in how the caching is handled between the two that can also impact things even if FCS/FCP isn't running.

My system in question has FCS3 on it.

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Sep 3, 2009 at 12:14:38 am

See? I knew I'd feel far less like "spirited discussion" in the morning :-)

A clean install followed by the app in question can verify if the issue is between the App and the OS.

Exactly.

A clean install followed by installing all apps and plugins doesn't tell you which app is conflicting with which unless one tests the single app in question after each additional app install.

Exactly ... Procedure A (multiple installs without individual verification) doesn't help as you don't know which component caused the problem, whereas Procedure B (sequential installs with verification) can help to directly isolate the conflict.

An Archive/Install, once optional, now built in to Snow Leopard update, is a clean install of the OS plus copies over app related things.

Indeed, in essence it's automating Procedure A above, no? Apologies in advance if I'm misunderstanding.

The part from the console log that I posted seems to imply that there's a 10.5 QuartzComposer Patch still present. It may be there because some apps need it. It may be that's creating a conflict in the creation of the thumbnail cache.

Do you have FxFactory installed at all, or CHV Quartz integration?

A clean install may not have that patch (since there's no reference to older apps that the installer might use in the decision making process of the installer script) or that patch may be innocuous if the "other app" doesn't exist to make the "call" to it.

One quick way...

Heee ... it's rarely simple eh? Hopefully I may find some time today to do a bit of detective work on my own systems. Mine is a MBP, running FCS3.

Again, apologies if I've misread anything, and I do understand that your methods are born of hard fought experience, hopefully you can understand the need to state the case and the rationale for the clean install crowd.

Anyhoo ... lets not bicker about methods (too late now eh?) though I'd be happy to discuss off list if you're intersested (my email is in my profile I believe).

I gotta rush ... am going to be late for work if I sit here much longer

Andy

Return to posts index

toby Heslop
on Sep 3, 2009 at 5:40:52 am

Same problem here,

MacbookPro (latest)
XDCAM transfer 2.10
Snow Leopard
FCS3
media on SDHC card through internal SD card reader

Return to posts index

Maria Natur
on Sep 7, 2009 at 10:40:56 am

Hey Andy and Craig,
we've bought a completely new macpro. The company where we bought, installed all components to start editing on the spot. So I think it is a clean install of the system and the components.

So we got the newest FinalCutPro. With a PDW-U1 Unit and XDCAM Transfer Software we can log and import the .mxf and .xml to FCP without problems. But our client works with Avid, that's why we just want to rename the clips and give comment and save those changes directly at the disc (or when we copie the /clip and /sub folder on an external hard drive, we want to save the changes there). But it doesn't work. It says that the files/ disc is just read only.

So although we've got a clean install, we've got problems with the PDW-U1 unit to write back with XDCAM Transfer.

Cheers
Maria

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 7, 2009 at 3:12:08 pm

OS is Leopard or Snow Leopard?
I believe there's a firmware update that opens the full size of the PDW-U1 for data backup which is needed if the files came from EX. You may need to install that.

Return to posts index

Maria Natur
on Sep 7, 2009 at 8:55:34 pm

Oh I forgot. We installed SnowLeopard. And I got now 2 answer of Sony and a support company, which works for Sony and they confirmed both, that XDCAM Transfer has Problems, so they advice to do not upgrade to SnowLeopard. Very smart, because the people buying a nex mac already have SnowLeopard. Maybe we get 30 Dollars from Sony when we downgrade SnowLeopard to Leopard??? ;-) Good night.
We are working now with windumb and PDZ-1 as solution until a update will come in the next 2 years.

Return to posts index

Tony Tang
Re: Sony XDCAM Transfer and Snow Leopard
on Sep 13, 2009 at 5:53:25 pm

I was able to resolve the thumbnail error in Snow Leopard by installing Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1. I was not able to find the 2.8 installer like some others were able to try on this thread.

After I installed 2.5.1 and saw that it worked, I then tried to upgrade to version 2.10 but got the thumbnail error. I had to trash the following items to reinstall 2.5.1 and make it work again:

1. /Applications/XDCAM Transfer
2. ~/Library/Application Support/Sony XDCAM Transfer

After trashing the above two items and reinstalling XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1, the thumbnail error went away and everything seemed to work on Snow Leopard.

I am also using the latest SxS card driver version 1.0.4 from Sony.

Here are the download locations for the software I installed:

1. Sony XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1 - http://www.sony.ca/xdcamex/software.htm
2. Sony SxS Drivers 1.0.4 - http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

Hopefully others will have the same luck that I did after trashing the files/folders above and installing these versions of the software.

Tony

Return to posts index

Paul Vlachos
on Sep 25, 2009 at 2:55:07 am

Tony,

I'll buy you a coffee if you ever make it to New York.

After weeks of idiocy and failure, that simple reversion worked. At least, on one of the big Mac Pro hogs. About to do another machine now.

THANK YOU!

Paul

Return to posts index

Paul Vlachos
on Sep 25, 2009 at 3:01:24 am

Tony, it works with one caveat that I found. The Sony XDCAM Transfer folder to trash in Application Support is not in /library/application support, but in users/username/library/application support.

Return to posts index

Thijn Teeuwissen
on Nov 3, 2009 at 3:36:59 pm

Hi Tony,

I have the same thumbnail problems, so I followed your advice but xdcam transfer 2.5 doesn't open at all.
/Users/thijn/Desktop/Schermafbeelding 2009-11-03 om 16.16.21.png

what can I do?

I work with Snow Leopard and Final Cut Pro 6.0.6
Log and Transfer works fine but I need Xdcam Transfer also because I also work with the Sony PDW530p broadcast camera.

Regards,
Thijn Teeuwissen
ENG cameraman, The Netherlands

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2009 at 4:09:30 pm

Ultimately I think we'll have to wait for XDCAM Transfer 2.11.
I suspect we'll see that in December when the Sony EX1R starts shipping.
Sony Clip Browser 2.6 is already available on the Sony European site although not in USA or Canada.

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
XDCam Transfer Issues
on Aug 6, 2010 at 1:55:17 am

Hi Guys, Interesting problem, I had the Thumbnail error so I tried the reinstall 2.5.1 as suggested > then I got a > Can't import movie for file at /volume/XD....... error ???

I trashed the Sony preferences in Library and XD first...

Then reinstalled XDTx >>>

Running a Clean Snow Leopard OS

A Clean Install of FCS3

Anyone

TONY GORDON - Jungle Boy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: XDCam Transfer Issues
on Aug 6, 2010 at 3:04:52 am

Sony XDCAM Transfer is at version 2.12.
ClipBrowser version 2.6
Generally Sony's updates include bug fixes and compatibility for what was at the time a new OS (Snow Leopard).

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Aug 6, 2010 at 3:40:54 am

Thanks Craig > does it follow that XDtransfer 2.12 has fixed the issue being discussed here x 2 errors ?

TONY GORDON - Jungle Boy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:12:17 am

Yup. The issue you're describing had to do with an incompatibility with Snow Leopard that many people experienced.

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Aug 6, 2010 at 4:50:38 am

Craig Seeman, Thank you so much for letting me in on that ! someone should POST this resolution on the THREAD at the END !!

Just Update to V2.12 for Snow Leopard !!! all good now !!!

TONY GORDON - Jungle Boy

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 6, 2010 at 6:05:42 pm

This was a "hot" issue when Snow Leopard came out and it took Sony MONTHS to update XDCAM Transfer to fix it. I guess it's been a long time since people upgraded to Snow Leopard so the thread is way buried in the form. This issue bit me when I upgraded too and I not only posted here, I called Sony and they immediately admitted they weren't compatible yet and suggested it could take almost a year! to fix it. It took a bit less than that though.

Return to posts index

Tony Gordon
on Aug 7, 2010 at 10:11:16 am

Thanks for the Update I Bought the F800 last year and found that the Codec for Variable Frame rate recording replay was only released in April by FCP..Sony Blamed everyone for the delay ! Why are we paying so much for gear that the Codecs and Drivers are still being developed and we can't use the equipment to full capacity ? There needs to be some responsibility by the manufacturer to have the full functionality available on release at NAB ! I am in Cairns Australia, rather cut off from the real world so these issues cause me grief !!!

TONY GORDON - Jungle Boy

Return to posts index

Johnny Amiri
on Sep 13, 2009 at 10:13:37 pm

Hey Everyone!

To completely sidestep the thumbnail issue or any incompatibilities in the Sony Clip Browser, I always use Final Cut Pro's Log and Transfer utility, and I can CONFIRM THAT USING THE FOLLOWING STEPS, IT WILL WORK IN SNOW LEOPARD WITH SXS CARDS!

This applies to anyone using Snow Leopard to capture from Sony SxS cards through the express card slot on their MacBook Pro.

Here's how I did it:

Uninstall any previous drivers you have on your Mac for Sony XDCAM.
Download and install these drivers from Sony's site: http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowContent.action?product=PMW-EX1&site=biz...

Restart your computer and reset PRAM (hold Command, Option, P, R as machine is booting) to ensure driver installation succeeds (this is just a precaution).

Then download and install this: http://support.sonybiz.net/software/detail.aspx?id=BPE-SS-03AD&model=PMW-EX...

This install does not require a restart. Once complete, insert your SxS card and BLAM! NO KERNAL PANIC.

Launch FCP and choose File--Log and Transfer and VOILA! ALL GOOD!

I've included a video showing the workflow of importing the clips once the drivers have been installed that you can watch here: http://gallery.me.com/amirij/100120

If anyone has any questions, reply to this post.

Return to posts index

Tony Tang
on Sep 13, 2009 at 11:54:33 pm

Johnny,

Good point, however, some people may need the extra functionality provided by Sony's XDCAM Transfer software that is not provided in the Final Cut Log and Transfer plug-in.

For instance, I have found that my Shot Markers don't show up in my video clips when I use Final Cut's Log and Transfer feature. That's why I personally need to use XDCAM Transfer.

Here are some other notes provided by Sony:

NOTE: XDCAM Transfer has the following advantages over Log and Transfer
Support both XDCAM EX & XDCAM Disc
Handles XDCAM EX and XDCAM Disc clips
mounting SxS & PD media at the same time
MXF export capability
Can write edited material back to Professional Disc in MXF files
Standalone browser/viewer
Browsing/viewing are possible without running Final Cut Pro

Other benefits
Full-screen playback
Cache functionThumbnail information available even after ejecting the media
Can create multiple sub clips by Mark In/Out

Log and Transfer has the advantage of working directly within the standard Log and Transfer interface within FCP

Return to posts index

Bill Parker
on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:03:25 pm

OK, so I upgraded everything and I still don't see the thumbnails and Log & Transfer doesn't recognize my SxS cards. The one thing I didn't do is uninstall my previous drivers for XDCAM Transfer. Stupid question - how do I do that?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 17, 2009 at 2:23:04 pm

[Bill Parker] " I upgraded everything "
Too vague to respond to.
Post all specs and EXACT version numbers and maybe someone can say what's wrong.

Return to posts index

Bill Parker
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:01:50 pm

Sorry:

XDCAM EX Log and Transfer Plug-in V1.0 (Mac).
XDCAM Transfer 2.5.1.
I'm running Snow Leopard on a 2 x 2.26 GHZ Quad-Core Intel Xenon.
I've upgraded to FCP 7.0.

I just didn't uninstall XDCAM Transfer because I can't figure out how to.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:09:02 pm

Snow Leopard. You need to download the new SxS driver.
Search forum. I posted the link to the Canadian site. I'm still not sure if US site has it.

Return to posts index

Bill Parker
on Sep 17, 2009 at 3:32:21 pm

I installed the driver from here:

http://www.sony.ca/promedia/drivers.htm

It didn't make any difference. I still don't see the thumbnails in XDCAM Transfer and the plug-in in FCP for Log & Transfer doesn't recognize my cards.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

steffen reimann
on Sep 19, 2009 at 11:23:13 am

I installed the NEW sxs driver on my Macbook Pro. Also i installed the XDCAM Transfer Package 2.9.0. As i did, i got the same problem with the thumbnails like described from others...

My fix for that:

I used PACIFIST to ectract only the XDCAM Transfer.app from the old 2.5.1 package & replaced the new 2.9.0 with the version 2.5.1

All works perfect & stable.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 19, 2009 at 5:11:26 pm

Curious what about the XDCAM Transfer install causes the issue. If it's this simple Sony should have the courtesy of offering the workaround on their site. BTW current version of XDCAM Transfer is 2.10. 2.5.1 has bugs that you may run into. I think 2.7 was good and additional version has just a few bug fixes but mostly additional features, some of which not critical to EX use.

Return to posts index

David Dewhurst
on Sep 23, 2009 at 3:36:15 am

Chris,
Can you give a more detailed explanation of how you used Pacifist to solve the Snow Leopard/XDCAM Transfer problem.

Return to posts index

steffen reimann
on Sep 30, 2009 at 3:52:54 am

just open the package with PACIFIST... browse to the application inside the package and extract the app to your desktop without installing the whole package... (so u cannot overwrite the NEWER VERSION COMPONENTS)

...this is working for me...

1x PMW-EX1, 2x HC-1
http://xteve.dynips.net

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]