FORUMS: list search recent posts

HELP! Transcoding and batch importing lost XDCAM files.

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annu Lilja
HELP! Transcoding and batch importing lost XDCAM files.
on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:51:01 pm

Hi,

the Lacie raid drive broke which held all the material for my film, and I need to import/batch import all the material again. The technical advisor at the company where I am working says that I cannot batch import the material, because the material that I have been editing was transcoded from the original XDCAM files, and that the AVID project will not recognize the untranscoded files. He says that even if I transcode the files again, I cannot batch import those files because the NEW transcoded files will not be identical to the OLD transcoded files.

He said that I might be able to do it if I edit on Final Cut, since FCP might recognize the files based on length, but I'm not sure if there is a way to turn my existing AVID project into a FCP project.

If I cannot batch import the files, I will lose 5 weeks of work, plus I will need to sync the material again, there is 35 hours of it.

I would be very grateful for any helpful hints.

Thank you,
Annu

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: HELP! Transcoding and batch importing lost XDCAM files.
on Aug 31, 2009 at 4:23:03 pm

[Annu Lilja] "I cannot batch import those files because the NEW transcoded files will not be identical to the OLD transcoded files. "
They sure should be unless you changed the names . . . which is why I don't. In theory the UMID should remain the same but I'm not willing to test that.

I use FCP but I don't see how Avid would be different especially since its media management tends to be better than FCP's

Of course maybe you're using the term batch import differently than I am. It may not be "automatic" as it would be with tape but it's fairly simple if you've kept the names. You should be able to re-wrap the files you need with ClipBrowser MXF for NLE and it would result in files with the same names as in the project and they'd link right up.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]