FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit Project in SD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Louis Jackson
Edit Project in SD
on Aug 31, 2009 at 1:10:43 am

Hello,

I'm planning to shoot a project soon with the EX3 and have heard that it's possible to edit in SD instead of HD. I understand that the EX cameras only shoot in HD, however at this time the project will not need to be delivered in HD. Thought it may be best to shoot in HD so if down the road we need it in HD it will have already been shot in HD. If it is possible what format should it be shot in? Thanks.

Lou

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: Edit Project in SD
on Aug 31, 2009 at 2:00:18 pm

The camera only shoots HD. But editing in HD is so easy with a modern NLE there's no reason not to. HD downconverted to SD looks great and gives you additional options like being able to reframe and resize shots to a high degree without losing quality because you have so much resolution to work with. That's vs. wasting the time of downconverting all your raw footage initially and essentially double the work and space required to store everything. Why bother? And trust me you *will* want an HD version at some point in the future. SD-only acquisition/delivery is dying/dead depending on who you're producing for.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Edit Project in SD
on Aug 31, 2009 at 4:25:06 pm

You can also edit HD in an SD timeline which gives you great possibilities to reposition, build moves in, make a one camera shoot look like more than one camera.

These days I see shooting in SD as a detriment regarding what's being delivered.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]