FORUMS: list search recent posts

SdHc card problem

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
phillip ebeid
SdHc card problem
on Aug 22, 2009 at 11:27:48 pm

I just started using the SDHC (kingston class 4 16GB) my friend updated my firm ware to 1.1,from 1.0 now Im getting a regular msg. of media restore and at times it lets me and other time it cant continue.I have to reseat the cards A-SDHC 16gb, B-Sony 8gb,is wrong to use different cards, or is my firm ware to old. his seems to work fine with the same 1.1.Please give me your thoughts

Also at one my lcd lost all on screen info,i tried going into the menu to restore it in case it got switch or something but it was all on, I restored all seating to bring it back, after going back in to the menu and setting them all over again.
Thanks
Phill

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: SdHc card problem
on Aug 24, 2009 at 3:53:23 pm

Did you test the cards before using them. Not all SDHC cards work reliably. In fact most don't.

Return to posts index

phillip ebeid
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:00:05 pm

no what would you say is a reliable test and what card if any works better?
also Im starting wo think this Hoodman converter is not as good as the Kingston's ?
Thanks
Phill

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:45:35 pm

MxR, MxM, Hoodman are all from the same manufacturer and are reliable. I believe some are having good luck with Kensington but the above three have been very throughly tested specifically for EX use.

To test cards but one in each slot and record straight through. One should get no media error. If that happens on the long record, the card is not reliable.

The other test is to do a series of short records and randomly delete clips along the way. ALWAYS make sure the light is green before recording or those errors are user errors.

Return to posts index

phillip ebeid
on Aug 24, 2009 at 5:18:02 pm

Craig when you say "One should get no media error. If that happens on the long record, the card is not reliable" you mean it should have NO media error on the card on the long record and then its good right? (sorry just want to make sure im understanding this correctly)

Also when I tried class 6 it came up as media not recognized,class 4 worked but with error coming in to play

One thing I noticed is when I got the restore media msg and I restored media in CAMERA mode it deleted all the clips but in MEDIA mode it saved them
So I will stay with the HOODMAN and try to get Sandisk ultra 2 cards class 4

again BIG thanks for your time
Phill

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2009 at 5:45:01 pm

[phillip ebeid] "ou mean it should have NO media error on the card on the long record "
None. No errors ever during the test. If it errors even once it may mean there are circumstances where the buffer can fill before the data is dumped to card.

[phillip ebeid] "Also when I tried class 6 it came up as media not recognized,class 4 worked but with error coming in to play "

And this is why I say class is not the determining factor. Again I'm using Sandisk Class 2 cards without issue. The tests the manufacturer uses that determine class are not under the circumstances needed for EX use.

[phillip ebeid] "nd try to get Sandisk ultra 2 cards class 4 "
I hear mixed things about Class 4. Oddly I'm using older Class 2 cards from January and they have been rock solid for 8 months. Again test the cards before doing a job.

Return to posts index

phillip ebeid
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:37:06 pm

Craig, Ive been reading some past post's about this, you seem to be very informed and have done some good testing, with my current 1.1 firm ware what adapter and cards would you recommend , I have tried class 6 and media not recognized,class 4 worked but gets me that error msg, I tried a long record after i got a few error msg's and now it seems to not be as frequent but I want something more reliable,
What adapters and cards are you feeling good about or using.
Thanks for all your input
Phill
(by the way what firm ware are you on)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 24, 2009 at 4:49:55 pm

For EX1 all versions of 1.1 should work. I have 1.11 but there are others with 1.12

There's more to class when it comes to compatibility. You have to test the cards.
I use Sandisk 32GB Ultra II Class 2 cards. Many have reported the Class 4 version is not reliable.
Transcend Class 6 had been reliable but some are having problems.
Some are using Kingston Class 6.

Best to test as per my other post in this thread.

Return to posts index

David Gallessich
on Aug 24, 2009 at 7:22:00 pm

I've been using 32Gb Class 6 cards from Centon, with no probs.
My vendor told me that Hoodman sleeve requires Class 6.
Surprising to learn that Craig is fine w Sandisk Class 2.
As he says tho, ya gotta test.

Return to posts index

phillip ebeid
on Aug 24, 2009 at 9:06:32 pm

HI David, what adapter are you using? I think Im going to try another brand adapter, and I did have a Kingston class 6 with the Hoodman and it cam up "media not recognized" we took the card out and put a 4 in and it saw it, I may try the class 2 i have no need to over/under for that I still have the Sony cards.

Im going to test when I get back.
Just trying to figure out is it the card or adapter?
Thanks for all the input and patience
Phill

Return to posts index

David Gallessich
on Aug 26, 2009 at 9:40:45 am

Phill -
I'm using primarily Hoodman sleeves w SDHC. SDHC cards are RAW (hoodman) 16Gb and Centon 32Gb. Sometimes i use original Sony SxS.

Actually I HAVE seen a couple of times when i had to restore media but this was awhile back (during initial testing) and I'm not sure of exact circumstance. Very possibly it was redlight/greenlight operator error.

Also - I'm using ex3's and I don't know if the firmware update for the EX1 is equivalent.

The Centon 32Gb (class 6) are $79 at Fry's, and these are now listed in their online catalog. So far these have been fine.

I've also tested the Hoodman Raw 16Gb in Hoodman sleeve to do overcranking at 720p60, and seemed to have no issue. (My understanding is that Hoodman does not guarantee overcranking.) It may be that this test result was an 'outlier' and that overcranking on any SDHC is unreliable. For me, so far, it works.

Best of luck -
dg

Return to posts index

phillip ebeid
on Aug 26, 2009 at 5:30:50 pm

Hi David, I think your right about RED /green light(all me) I also did what Craig was talking about doing a long and short rec, and it seems to have helped.I see now it takes a little longer to right than the Sony's
Im seeing an average of 7.5-8.5 sec,after stop rec, until green(digi stop watch)if your using class 6,which I never got to work having 1.1 firm,it kept saying "Media not recognized" you most likely have the newer firm, if you get a chance try clocking how long it take to wright,the Sony's are about 4.5 just wondering if its as fast as the Sony
ALSO when you formate do you loose all clips? some times I do and some times not
Thanks for your input !!
Phill

Return to posts index

Akbar Ukani
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:30:43 pm

Don't Risk It...The Sandisk SxS 8GB cards are only $199 now

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:33:51 pm

at 8GB having to offload during a shoot is a BIG RISK. Most of the file problems I see are human error related during offload.

SDHC is rock solid reliable as long as you test first. Using two 32GB SDHC cards for 8 months and I've NEVER had a problem. NEVER. 4 hours recording and no need to bring a laptop.

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:41:31 pm

If you've read earlier post, you'll see major problems with San Disc cards as far as compatability goes. San Disc is partnered with Sony and may have coded their cards so they will no longer work with the adaptors and XD Cam's.

Many here are using the Transcend 32 Gig Class 6 cards. $110 at New Egg. No Problems so far with these cards. I have to record up to 1 hr. straight for live events without stoping recording. This gives me plenty of space to keep everything on one card.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Video.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 26, 2009 at 7:43:47 pm

In fact that would be the test to do when you get SDHC cards. Record straight through without stopping. If you don't get an error it should handle fine.

Return to posts index

phillip ebeid
on Aug 27, 2009 at 12:16:41 am

I did just that after getting 2 error msg's, Criag was talking in an earlry thread about doing long and short shots, I did that for a long time per card and each Hoodman adapter switching them at all diffrent time,even tried recording when the RED light was still on, and so far
(K O Wood) its been good,kingston 16GB CLASS 4

Any one know does this camera EX1 constantly record a few seconds so if you jump on it you have athe prior few sec, on card?not sure what they call that but it was asked of me by a client
Thanks
Phill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]