FORUMS: list search recent posts

New EX3 Owner - Best way to check Transcend Cards?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brent Critchfield
New EX3 Owner - Best way to check Transcend Cards?
on Aug 21, 2009 at 7:22:40 pm

I'm a proud new EX-3 owner - just got it yesterday. I've got the 8GB SxS included with the cam, and two 16GB Transcend Class 6 cards with AFT adapters. Just shooting some footage of the kids yesterday to get used to the camera and one of the cards is already throwing media restore errors. I just tried the recommendation of recording straight through on it and got the error again. I've reformatted the card and will try recording it again in a few minutes (recording a test on the other card right now, which seems to be working fine).

So, what would be the recommendation here? If it runs fine after the reformat am I safe? Or should I send it back and get a new one? Is there software that I can run on the Mac to benchmark the speed and make sure it's working properly?

Thanks,

Brent
Brentwood Video Productions
Brentwood, California

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: New EX3 Owner - Best way to check Transcend Cards?
on Aug 21, 2009 at 7:28:01 pm

[Brent Critchfield] " just tried the recommendation of recording straight through on it and got the error again. "

That card fails. Don't take risks. Return/exchange the cards.

BTW I'm hearing there's a "Version 3.1 and Version 3.2" cards as per an insert in the package apparently (this is second hand) so you might want to post all the info so we can check if there's a pattern to which ones fail.

Return to posts index

Brent Critchfield
on Aug 21, 2009 at 8:22:50 pm

Yes, there's a version marking on the back of the package in the lower right corner, however both of these cards are marked 3.2. My second card seems to be fine, so I'll contact NewEgg for a replacement on the bad one.

Thanks,

Brent
Brentwood Video Productions
Brentwood, California

Return to posts index

phillip ebeid
on Aug 27, 2009 at 12:23:46 am

I had the same problem on ex1 I sat there for about 2 hrs running long(20min) and short(3sec -2min) shots and deleting once in a while in camera mode, also re seat the card, it new, so conductivity may play, I tried all th above and its been working but ill do a bit more testing before I feel 100% but its on its way
Kingston 16gb class 4

Return to posts index

George Dombrowski
on Jan 14, 2010 at 1:22:40 am

Having just got my ex1 and encountering memory card errors, I'd like to know what configuration settings is needed to make the camera automatically go to the other slot/card upon an error. My ex1 is just stopping upon the error even thou there is another good, not full card in the other slot.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 14, 2010 at 6:40:19 pm

There is nothing practical you can do as a professional except to not use those Transcend cards.

I've posted many times my first test is to put one card in each slot and record straight through non stop. If you get an error the card is not fit for use. The camera will stop recording and throw an error. There's no end run around that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]