FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laptop ExpressCard 34 socket general confusion

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martin Phillips
Laptop ExpressCard 34 socket general confusion
on Aug 19, 2009 at 9:21:49 pm

I'm looking to buy a laptop which will allow me to offload footage straight from the SxS Pro cards (without having to plug a reader in). I notice that none of the new MacBook Pros have this anymore, so it will have to be a PC Laptop. So will something like a Samsung or a Toshiba with an ExpressCard 34 or 54 socket do the job (presumably there will be a SxS Pro Driver from Sony to install too?)

Just want to get the best thing for quickly checking footage and backing up. Just a bit bewildered at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Martin.

Return to posts index

Michael Palmer
Re: Laptop ExpressCard 34 socket general confusion
on Aug 19, 2009 at 10:02:35 pm

Here try this

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB470LL/A?mco=MjE0NDk5Mw#overview

Get one while they are still around. Nothing wrong with these reburb units, get the apple care and your good to go.

Good Luck
Michael Palmer

Return to posts index

Clint Fleckenstein
on Aug 20, 2009 at 1:58:33 pm

I thought there was still one new model of Mac laptop that had an Expresscard slot.

I've read about some guys who had issues with their MacBook's Expresscard slot, something about alignment. We have an extra SBAC-US10 here that I'm going to throw in the laptop bag with our MacBook Pro when it goes out on location now. Boy, would it stink to be on a shoot with several full cards and a laptop that won't download them!

Cf

Return to posts index

Tom Parke
on Aug 20, 2009 at 4:27:21 pm

Yes, the 17-inch MacBook Pro still has the ExpressCard 34 socket.

Related issue: Where can I go to determine if my socket is OK? I now only use my one-year old 15-inch MacBook Pro for ingest of EX footage from SxS, not much else. When editing, my system would hang up, presumably because I was tethered to a G-Speed eSATA RAID (at level 0) to it. Since this issue is intermittant, neither Apple, G-Tech, nor FirmTek (eSATA card) have been able to help. I now have a $900+ RAID that I cannot use reliably, and a nice laptop for home use.

I've been through three eSATA cards, three eSATA cables and I've tried another G-Tech drive that also has FW800, which is all I can use now with the MacBook Pro. The latest Sonnet eSATA card that is selling for $300 will not work with a MacBook Pro with more than 2 GB of memory per their website (why is this, and is this a common problem with FirmTek and other eSATA cards?). My DP 2.53 MHz book came standard with 4 GB.

What are my options? Thanks!

Tom Parke
ProScan DP

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]