FORUMS: list search recent posts

SDHC Question related to the EX1

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randy Hopkins
SDHC Question related to the EX1
on Aug 19, 2009 at 5:37:23 am

I'm in the market for a new camera (stepping into the HD realm for the first time), and I've narrowed it down to the HPX170 and the EX1. I've used both cameras before and have been hugely impressed with each, but now that I've heard mention of a possible alternative to the pricey P2 media, I am starting to learn towards the EX1 as a purchase.

My question is this: what exactly is this alternative, and is it safe/reliable? I've seen SDHC and Mxr adapters mentioned, but I'm still not clear on what all exactly needs to be purchased to make this work. Is there a loss in quality? A threat of data loss?

I'd really appreciate an explanation or a point in the right direction.

Thanks,
Randy

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
Re: SDHC Question related to the EX1
on Aug 19, 2009 at 8:35:43 am

Search the forums, adapters exist to allow the EX1 to use very inexpensive SDHC media in place of the SxS cards. This method isn't 100% foolproof but pretty close if you follow the recommended instructions that come with the adaptors. The P2 workflow currently has not corollary.

Noah

Check out my book: RED: The Ultimate Guide to Using the Revolutionary Camera!. Unlock the secrets of the 24p, HD and Final Cut Studio.
Now featuring the Sony EX1 Guidebook, Panasonic HVX200, and Panasonic DVX100.
http://www.callboxlive.com

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 19, 2009 at 1:22:05 pm

MxR, MxM, Hoodman. Supposedly all adaptors coming from the same manufacturer and MxM supplying Hoodman.

Hoodman has their own SDHC cards.
Most are using Transcend these days. Previously Sandisk.

I've been using 2 32GB Sandisk Ultra II Class 2 cards since January without issue. If you understand how the technology works and test the cards before going out on a shoot, they are reliable. 16GB cards are inexpensive enough to be treated like XDCAM discs or a variety of HD Tape. Some will save them for key shoots. Some will give them as masters to clients. You can't do that affordably with P2 or SxS.

Return to posts index

Randy Hopkins
on Aug 20, 2009 at 5:39:08 am

Really appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]